Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Litres per 100klms

Re: Litres per 100klms

Bring out your land cruisers and what ever else you drive, as a stock standard vehicle I'll bet you can't go half the places I can in my Rover. You cruiser people have a special mind set, while I buy Penn and Fin nor reels, you are probably purchasing shimano and daiwa. I go for functionality not breakable gimmics. I purchase a 4wd for it's off road capabilities and if you think your japanese vehicles are more capable in that department, your very disallusioned.

Big_Kev

[quote author=neptune link=board=4X4;num=1083759500;start=40#45 date=05/19/04 at 09:30:12] I go for functionality not breakable gimmics.

Then you should not be buying a Rover.

Big_Kev

Cmon Neptune how about some hard facts then.
    I read a lot of hear say and wild assumptions. And I rekon this and that and the other. But if it is the Landcruiser people that have the special mind set as you call it, then what is it?
    I would just like it explained that if rovers are so great then why don't they control the market share?
    Cheers Kev.

can we talk about boats your hurting my feelings KEVAY

Big_Kev

Sorry Rob if I hurt your feelings but I am not saying anything bad just sticking to the facts here.

Simple, Landrover concentrates on engineering rather than advertising. Instead of flooding the market with cheap crap they just design and build good four wheel drives. Landrover only make four wheel drives in case you hadnt noticed. Cant remember when i saw a Landrover starlet or a Landrover pulsar being driven round by some pimple faced pizza delivery boy. Landrover are a low volume producer who up until last year handmade their vehicles. Thats the kind of brand I trust and the kind of dedication that the military and serious exploration teams rely on. Interesting to read a comparision between Defenders and Troopys awhile ago in 4WD monthly (test of the hardcore) when Toyota put up their luxury troopy with a difflocker against a stock standard defender. The defender still out drove it in the bush. Even the journos had a laugh at that one.
    cheers
    Mick

The difference in market share comes from the four wheel drive boom of the late seventies (Leyland Brothers et al.) while toyota and nissan could pump out hundreds and hundreds of their models to fill this new niche landrover stuck to being a small volume producer to keep the quality of the product alive. It still carrys through today, while other four wheel drive producers continually change their product through constant facelifts creating a keeping up with the Joneses fashion wank Landrover makes changes underneath and largely leaves the surface alone unless its a necessary change. Compare a current defender with a series 2. Series 2 came out in 1958 and a lot of the body panels are still interchangeable to an extent. Why fix it if it aint broke. I do hate the handbrake position though . Same goes for the discovery theyve barely changed since 1989. Even now I could drop a Range rover shell onto my disco frame and have it bolt straight up using the exact same drive train. Try that in your patrol.
    cheers
    Mick

Big_Kev

So if they don't need to make facelifts can you explain the Discovrey range.

Big_Kev

In 1994 an attempt was made by Rover to increase production to supply the American and Australian market, but with a lack of investment capital and a build quality that was already lower than Japanese manufacturers standards, quality went through the floor.
    Thank God they don't make more than they do.
    Cheers Kev.
    Along with the poor warranty.
    Along with the industrial strife that has plagued Land Rover with all the ownership changes.
    Who does own landrover now anyway?

Like I said, if you think your land cruiser stacks up, lets put them to the test. Things don't need to be huge sellers to be of good quality, I bet more Australians have bought bic biro's than parker pens.

Sportfish_5

I believe that Ford now own Land Rover but that may have changed

"Landrover don't flood the market with cheap crap",very true, they salt the market with expensive shit.If these vehicles are the engineering masterpieces you blokes claim them to be why is their resale value so low?Saying that Landrover only make 4x4's is the same as saying that landcruiser only make 4x4's,Landrovers are made by Rover who is owned by Ford and there are models of two wheel drive Rovers.I mentioned before about the lack of milage in using the ADF(millitary)as an arguement for Landies here's why,these vehichles go straight from Landrover Aust. to a contractor,the first thing that happens is the motor gets replaced with an Isuzu 4BD1 3.9 Diesel,then the suspension gets an upgrade,then extra gussets and bracing is added,lastly the body work gets customised to accomadate their needs,all up each vehicle is in the shop for about four weeks before the Army takes possesion of it,the only thing common to your garden variety Landie is the shape and the drive train.I don't think any body has critised the ability of the Landie,more so the reliability or lack there of.There are British cars and there are Pommie cars,I'm affraid the Landie belongs to the later.

All you people who don't own land rovers, which you say are the majority, and bag them at every opportunity, must have an inferiority complex to feel so insecure, as to go and study all these aspects of a car they detest. Maybe you are just trying to assure yourself that you did the right thing when you purchased your Japanese pretend 4wd, when deep down inside you know you didn't.

Landcruiser V8 on Gas 25L/100KM x 31.9c Litre at Woolworths 96L Gas 97L petrol 800-1000km range runs like a dream. Laughing at all the other poor bastards loading up 165L of petrol into their Landcruisers Ouch that must sting after a while

As i said the discovery range has remained almost unchanged since 1989 to the current model. Could you swap bits from your cruiser over a decade ago. Also Landrover is an independent brand they are not owned by Rover they were set up after the war purely to build 4WD's. If your talking about after market work the ADF currently uses defenders with the td5 engine as does all the other government departments. Suspension upgrades would be for the extra equipment the ADF fills them with. Look at the after market equipment industry centred around Landcruiser and Patrol. Why would TJM, ARB etc exist if theyre so damn good. Basically if you want a 4WD then go to a 4WD manaufacturer if you want a car go to a car manufacturer. Stack an out of the box defender against anything short of a Unimog and itll whip its arse. Landrover have proven their product a million times over, some people are just sore losers it seems.
    My favourite bit is that the U.S. Rangers have ditched their Humvees for landrovers AkA the SAS Long range patrol vehicles. As for dismissing the ADF links. The ADF have been using them for the past 40 years, guess that kinda says that theyre satisfied.
    Cheers
    Mick