Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Litres per 100klms

Re: Litres per 100klms

I did a bit of jail time on bellarus (not really jail but felt like it)
    How many did ya see Kev that broke that poxy steering setup on the front 4x4 axle
    cheers
    blaze

Big_Kev

We use to see a lot of the model Bellarus Brutus.
    We use to call them Bellarus Rootus.LOL
    What a great piece of engineering.
    They had a diff lock that you had to twist a handle in the cab that wound a cable running down to the diff via a hole cut in the top tank of the radiator.
    You would have to watch your head wenever crawling underneath, because the dags in the castings on the diff housings would bust you up like falling off the rocks at Noosa heads.
    I think it had 4 gear sticks poking through the floor and who would know what range or gear it was in cause no one could read Russian.
    Just pulled and pushed and when it went at about the correct speed that was the gear and draw a nicco pen picture on the windscreen for future reference.
    But if you were a busted arse cocky wanting a cheap power horse, then the big russian V12 powerhouse was the answer. Coming in at 70 grand when the American built stiegher was 250 grand.
    But not to good if you needed a crop in and waiting on a part to come on the next ship that was iced in at the north pole.
    Cheers Kev.

Sportfish_5

Kev - Who did you used to work for when looking after Bellarus Tractors ?? Brings back memories. I did my apprenticeship on Ford, Shibura and White tractors here in Brisbane.

Cheers,

Greg

I agree the best 4x4 is no doubt someone elses, they can go through just about anything Rental brands good but Work is better

hi sportfish
    done some service training up in logan on john deere, not bad gear to work on is the ag gear
    cheers
    blaze

Big_Kev

Rental 4x4 now your talking quality.
    They are the ones that can select reverse gear while traveling down the highway at 100kmh.Go over bumps Duke style.
    Go around corners on two wheels and tyres that never wear out.

Do you want the insurance with that car sir.

Ah is the crash helmet not giving you the answer.
    Gotta love the rentals.

LOL Kev

Geeez,

Talk about kids having a squabble over nothing.

Mines better than yours!!!!! Gawd, sounds like the dinner table whilst I am trying to watch the news.

Anyhow, back to the original intent of the post. 10 month old GXL Turbo Deisel auto, returning average of 10.4 ltrs/100 km when driven country miles at ussual 105 - 110 kmh.

About half that again when pulling 2 ton of boat at highway speeds.

- Bean

OH my God - where have I been - how can a debate go on so long and me not know about it - sorry for all those involved who haven't had the chance to read my inciteful and witty posts.

I wanted to buy a new 4wd in 2000. I wanted a 4wd that I could hit the beach alot - go bush alot and tow a fair bit (boat up the beach).

I looked around seriously for capability and price. I wasn't interested in gadgets or appearance purely functionality and price.

It came down to two - Landrover Defender and Landcruiser Prado.

Landrover out of the box was perfect mechancially - although I wasn't really happy with internal layout and seat configuration.

I was advised to upgrade the supension on the prado and probably get a difflock at the same time. Towing capability was also 2000 kgs less than the Defender unless you got the otional upgraded towing kit which I think was bigger radiator and brakes.

Short story is I went with the Landy and despite numerous trips back to the shop I am over the moon with her. For those ready to jump the problems were all fidly pieces of crap (horn didn't work, indicator problem, coolant hose leek, bolt corrosion)

Mechanically I have not been able to fault the girl. She's done 76,000, I recently had front coils replaced and new brake disks all the way around - combination of heavy brakes and lots of sand apparantly.

I have got a fuel range of 7 kms to 12 km's to the litre.

Which is 14 to 8 litres per 100 kms - depending on airconditioning (makes big difference) ground speed and weight on board.

At 90-95km an hour even with big boat I get 10's take that up to 110kmph and the fuel consumptions rises dramatically.

My sister has a 2002 Prado out of the box. It has come with me on a few occasions and has never missed a beat - have never really pushed it though but I'm sure it could handle a fair bit.

I'm over the moon with my purchase. And in a couple of months time I'll be the big green fridge towing a 2 tonne boat up the beach on Fraser with no problems what so ever.

Bugman

Big_Kev

Yeah we all know Brett.

Anyhow I just filled the cruiser for the first time as the fuel gauge for the rear tank has a mind of its own. 1985/75 series with 2H diesel 5 speed with plenty of miles on the clock.
    The figures are 1000kms of towing the boat, running around town, back and forward to the hardware and not much highway = just under 130ltrs. 13ltrs/100kms.
    According to the manual it holds 180 litres so I had a few miles up my sleeve, so I will have to fix that gauge.
    I had a chat with a bloke had a 80 series 4500 petrol auto as I was filling up and I asked him about fuel economy with his rig and he frowned and said please don't ask me that again. So I didn't.
    Hope the helps. Kev

get 14l/ 100 out of my 4wd ute

Have got 80series 1990 cruiser with 300.000 ks on the clock i get around 1000 km from my to tanks 90/45 lts ?. Is that ok town & highway driving. That is generally fully loaded with camping gear on highway.

gday,
    just new to this whole chat thing so if i make a few blues please point me in the right direction, does any know about using pvc pipes for water tanks i have been told the grow algae after a while is there any tablets you can put in there to stop it. any thoughts or feelings would be greatly appreciated

Big_Kev

You are doing well Bob and welcome to the board.
    For the water tank idea it is best to start a new thread by hitting the start new topic key.On the top of the front page for the forum section you want to inquire on.
    Name it something like PVC water tank.
    It could be entered into the camping section or the 4X4 section.
    Cheers Kev.

I am on my second Toyo LC100 TDI 5 spd auto. Both have been great for fuel - around 11l/100kms around town and just under 10l/100kms touring - not being gentle either. Great power off the mark. This gives a range greater than 1300kms without stretching it. Towing 1.6 tonne of loaded single axle van @ 100kph increases consumption to about 15l/100kms - but really comfortable and secure.