Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Offroad Meet & Greet

Offroad Meet & Greet

OK,  The research has been done and we are none the wiser    

Seriously,  an Ausfish Offroad  M & G will take place at Archer Camp in The Mt Mee State Forest on the weekend of 3rd  and 4th of March 2007.

If you do not have a 4 x 4, you will still be able to get to the campsites and you may get a seat in a 4BY for a trip or two down the ' tracks '.

The plan is to meet at Archer Camp on Saturday morning and then try a few tracks out after lunch.  Stay overnight with a campfire and bbq, then have some more fun the next morning.

Facilities there are good with toilets, taps, swimming hole, grassed areas for kids to run amuck and level camp sites with camper trailers welcome. This is a modification. Camper trailers and caravans are NOT suited to this site, sorry

For your info, MT MEE state forest is west of Woodford on the Qld nth coast.

The tracks we will take are moderate to rough, and you will be able to detour around the rough stuff should you desire.  Below is a lot of info to take in.  BUT, importantly, you must obtain a permit to traverse. Free. camping permit costs minimal.  Any questions, just fire away.

Directions to  Beerburrum

From either north or south along the Bruce Highway, exit at the Glasshouse Mountain Rd /  Beerburrum - Donnybrook Rd. ...(  2007 UBD Refidex Sunshine Coast Map136 ,  L17 )

Take Glass House Mountain Road to the west of the highway.  Follow to Beerburrum and turn left at Beerburrum Road, cross over railway lines and Parrot Park is on your right.  There are toilets here.  (  2007  UBD  Refidex  Sunshine Coast Map136  C4 )

D’Aguilar Range Tour

, Beerburrum..........( 2007 UBD refidex Sunshine Coast map 136 C4 )

Continue South and T/R Beerburrum - Woodford road ( gravel )

Pass Old Gympie Rd on Right....continue ahead

Pass Glasshouse - Woodford Rd on right.....continue ahead

T/L into Golfcourse Rd at Cemetery.........( bitumen )

T-junction......T/R into George St.............

T-Junction........T/R into Archer St

Veer left into Neurum Rd ( towards  Woodford Correctional Centre )

continue on Neurum Rd passing Walker on left, Morrison on right

T/L into Stanton.........continue....sharp  right

T/R into Rasmussen....( gravel )

Find Archer Camp Ground on right.........

Enter grounds and find Ausfish Banner.

Legend:-

T/R  =  Turn  Right
    T/L  =  Turn Left

DO NOT TURN UNLESS INSTRUCTED.

MT  MEE   M  &  G  2007

What's special?
    At the northern end of the D’Aguilar Range, Mount Mee State Forest and Forest Reserve contains beautiful open forests, scribbly gum forests, rainforest remnants, hoop pine plantations and picturesque creek scenery.
    Exploring Mount Mee
    Have a picnic at the Gantry picnic area where you can see the remains of the old sawmill which operated here until 1981. Toilets, picnic tables, barbecues, and water are provided.

Go bushwalking. Along Piccabeen, explore the mysterious grove of tall piccabeen palms. Enjoy magnificent views over Lakes Somerset and Wivenhoe along the Somerset trail. Discover the rainforest along the Mill rainforest walk.

Choose from two small camping areas in the forest. Neurum Creek is 6km from the Gantry picnic area. Tent sites, toilets, fire rings and water are provided. You will need to supply your own firewood.

You can also camp beside Neurum Creek at Archer camping area, 16km from the Gantry picnic area along Loveday’s Road. Obtain a camping permit and  \l "permits_to_traverse" the forest beforehand. Toilets, and fire rings are provided.

Both camping areas are unsuitable for caravans or camper trailers.

Enjoy the view over the picturesque Neurum Valley and Bulls Falls from the Falls Lookout, 1km past the picnic area. Access to the lookout is by a 500m walking track.

Take care if swimming in waterholes along Neurum Creek.

Permits to traverse

Download an application form for "/publications?id=1812"
    Download an application form for "/publications?id=1813"
    Application forms may be mailed or faxed to the address on the form
    Allow 5 working days for processing
    Permits will be mailed out (not faxed or left for collection)
    Walking
    Wear sturdy shoes and take drinking water when walking.
    Accessibility
    Gantry picnic area is wheelchair-accessible. The Piccabeen walk is suitable for wheelchairs with assistance.
    Getting there
    Mount Mee is about 90 minutes’ drive or 60km north-west of Brisbane. From the south, travel through Samford and Dayboro then follow Mount Mee and Sellin Roads to the forest. From the north, turn off the D’Aguilar Highway at D’Aguilar south of Woodford.
    Further Information
    EPA Customer Service Centre
    Ground Floor
    160 Ann Street, Brisbane
    PO Box 15155 CITY EAST QLD 4002
    ph (07) 3227 8185
    fax (07) 3227 8749
    email "mailto:csc@epa.qld.gov.au"
    Open 8.30am-5pm Monday – Friday, except public holidays and Christmas to New Year

Facilities that are available:-

Male & Female Toilets
    Wheelchair access toilets
    Fireplace
    Table and chairs
    Water
    Lookouts
    Walking tracks
    Tent sites / camping
    Vehicle parking for campers ( 2WD  & 4WD )

Tracks
    Falls Lookout From Neurum Creek camping area: 1 kilometre return 20 minutes
    Lophostemon walk    750m, 10 minutes

Mills rainforest walk
    1·4km, 40 minutes

From Gantry Day Use Area:
    Piccabeen walk
    1km circuit, 20 minutes

Somerset trail
    13km circuit, 3–4 hours
    Here is the link to obtain your “ Permit to Traverse “. Permit is free, just tick “ all parks “.

Obtain this asap.  
    http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/publicatio...r_Reserves.pdf

cheers  Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 18-01-2007 at 06:31 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: OFFROAD #M & G.

That weekend works in very well for me and you fluked it and picked a Saturday my wife will be rostered off work as she works every second Saturday so well done. So count me in for the weekend of fun. #
    Anyone interested in coming and who needs to talk to an EPA representative about permit to traverse questions can call Jacqui Brock on 07 4699 4366 which is their Toowoomba office and where the permits will be mailed from. I also found a website where you can obtain camping permits from. https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks/iap...?quickParkId=3

Regards,

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

wishing I had a real 4x4...only have the HiLux..wannabe nissan driver..LOL
    might make it on the Saturday..my b'day on the sunday so might be home for that one.

All ready down loaded the " Permission to Traverse "
    Penciled in Diary , just have to run it past the "OFFICAL keeper of my spare time"
    I'll say I'll be there ............ Mal

already have the permits, non camping

so all should be good for this

looking forward to meeting all who attend..

ps.

the site allows you to choose 2 camping areas for permits,

where are you going to camp?

Quote Originally Posted by 27cameron
    ps.

the site allows you to choose 2 camping areas for permits,

where are you going to camp?
    The campsite we are using is Archer Camp. Look forward to meeting you.

Cheers,

Poodroo

on the website booking campsites, under archer camp it doesnt specify site numbers so i assume you just book it and when you arrive choose 1 you like?

can anyone help with this?

ta all

Cameron, as you book ( pay ) online it will ask you what site number you want. Choose from there. I have booked number 9

Phill

cheers phil!

Re: OFFROAD  M & G.

Hi all,
    Im up for it but i could be at Fraser for that weekend ( well last week of holidays). If im not at fraser ill be there, let you know soon... ps will we need AT/MT for the harder stuff as im leaving the HT's on for Straddie then Fraser.
    cheers
    Mike
    Tangles KFC

HT's for DI, AT's or MT's for MT MEE.

I have AT's that are now ATR's instead of HT's and go better than AT/ MT's at MT MEE. For a RGT at MT MEE, use either AT, MT or ST's.

And the BBQ at the M & G will be RG and you should be RAOGLYAO with LP and TD. No BBQ is RG without VB, GGW or ARGP.

Now that everything is clear...........

see you there

phill

FYI. Below is a map that will show you Archer Camp. Access from the north can be made by 2WD etc.

From the south is definately 4WD.

You can download / print out a copy for your file.

Cheers Phill

Re: OFFROAD  M & G.

Yep thats pretty clear...... as mud got the important bit VB for BBQ

cheers
    Mike
    Tangles KFC

Finally managed to get the Pajero sorted out with its minor radiator problem so it is all systems go now. Not long back (Phill knows the story) had the cam belt and clutch, water pump all replaced just as preventative maintenance. Mechanics suggest "While radiator is out why not have it rebuilt and totally flushed?" Sure I say thinking to myself "Car has always run cool, always back flushed and replaced hoses myself and never had leaks or anything but what the hey!!!" Get the car back and murphy strikes again. A small annoying little leak that seemed hard to fix. Finally ended up back at the radiator place and discovered a tiny bit of solder had been broken where the overflow pipe meets up with the neck of the radiator under the cap. Fixed and no more leaks. Look out Mt. Mee, here comes Poodroo.

Poodroo