Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Illegally Parked Cars in Boat/Trailer Spots - Wellington Point

Illegally Parked Cars in Boat/Trailer Spots - Wellington Point

Hope this is the right forum to bring this up but I am sick of it happening.......the Redland City Council needs to do something!!!!

Last Saturday the 30th of June, I went out to launch my boat at the Wellington Point Boat Ramp at about 12:30pm and simply could not get a park because the car and boat trailer parks were at least 50% occupied by cars illegally parked!! This happens every nice weekend even though there are signs saying boat/trailer parks only......cars park there anyway.

I have put up with it for weeks now and I have never seen anyone getting booked for doing this?? I even went up to one person who had just parked in a spot that stopped me from parking in and she even said she was willing to wear the fine and park anyway? There was another guy also trying to park a boat trailer and nearly got in a fight with someone over them parking their car illegally.....this was my real worry about the whole situation.

The local boat owners are being stopped from parking in designated spots due to rude people coming out to the point on the weekend.
    Does anyone know how we can get better signage in the middle of the row of parks for boat trailers and not just on the ends of the rows because this might make the boat parks more obvious and also parking inspectors booking people? The Council would make a killing on parking fines on a nice sunny weekend as people do not care and park wherever they like. It would only take a few nice sunny weekends and people getting fines to stop them doing it I think.

Also, does anyone know of a number I can ring for Redland City Council parking inspectors on a weekend when this happens again. It would be nice to be able to ring someone to request their presence when it happens again.....or maybe I ring the Police, I am not sure?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Illegally Parked Cars in Boat/Trailer Spots - Wellington Point

Would suggest you ring the council and find out who to talk to about this and either talk to them on the phone, send an email or arrange a face to face. Just make sure you record everything if you talk face to face as it is too easy for them to say they didn't say something after the meeting.

Hi Steve,

I have emailed the Council and also the local Councillor will see how I go and keep you all updated......I am sure this happens everywhere but it is just so rude and annoying, plus illegal!!

Cheers
    Andrew

I guess you also need to be sure that because the sign says "boat and trailer" that it is actually against some enforcable law to park a car only there, we have a very similar problem at my local ramp, there is long parking spots for trailers, but lots of them are taken up by tourists and divers in cars only, but the local Council says the signs are only advisory and have no law enforcement powers for that area.

I guess one good thing to eventuate was that when I eventually did get out on the water I managed to nab 16 whiting in about 1hr with my daughter so that was fun.

Hi
    Illegal parking happens everywhere. Not just cars being parked in trailer spots-- Try to get A DISABLED parking spot. Fat chance of that.

Ronnie

i have contacted council over the same issue and guess what? no after hours number to ring. next time i have the same experience i will be parking behind one of those rude bastards and they can worry about out how they are getting out. be great if its one of my "extended" trips.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thats the spirit Netmaker...I have done just that.... I unfortunately picked a "nice" person that was so apologetic that I felt bad!

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Funny how quickly things change.

My son and I pulled our boat out of the water at Wello Point at 11.30am on Saturday morning and commented on how many free spaces there were for cars with boat trailers.

Musta filled up very quickly after lunch. Inconsiderate, self-centred a**holes...

One time I saw a bloke walk nearly 1km from the boat ramp to where he parked his car on Main Road...gives us all the sh*ts!

Cheers

Pete

righto. it appears i am wrong. council do now have an after hours service. BUT, after i requested to speak to someone about the law i was transferred and then told that council are not currently enforcing the parking laws at wellington point they are currently "studying" the situation. so i suggested my parking behind idea and was told that if i am not blocking the road it is legal for me to do so. so i figure i can park behind one car and swing my trailer behind another. anyway they obviously suggested i dont do this but i replied that as they are not enforcing, the situation will only worsen and boaties will need to strike back or lose out. i was advised to check obstruction laws with the police and guess what? the cops are happy to enforce and issue tickets (hardly a suprise tho i spose). i am awaiting a call back as to whether or not i will be breaking any of their laws and will post result when i hear.
    also gathered from council that complaints will help so please send a short email to council and have a whinge: rcc@redland.qld.gov.au
    its good for the soul...

okay, it gets better. whilst the cop (general duties) at capalaba told me they issued tickets, the cop from wynnum traffic branch said that after conflicts with council it is no longer their policy to issue tickets . he quite liked the blocking in idea and suggested that most cops would have a giggle on their way past. he did point out tho that i could technically be double parking and wear a $40 fine. i told him that was a bargain and i wouldn't be moving my vehicle until the blocked car(s) got their $75 fine. either way it appears no-one is getting fined and things will only get worse. it looks like us wello pt boaties are going to have to start taking some drastic action.

Hi netmaker,

Thanks for the help with ringing the Councl etc.....I also emailed them this morning, plus CC'd the local Councillor (Wendy Boglary - wendy.boglary@redland.qld.gov.au). Maybe if we all email her as well something might get done as it is rediculous at the moment. On Saturday afternoon there were nearly fights because car owners were blatently pulling in front of boaties as they were looking for a park....it was quite unbelievable. Plus we pay heaps for rates to the Redlands City Council and for them to give you that response is quite amazing.......I will call the police next time as well and park behind people with car and trailer!! Probably block about 4 cars in I reckon, which would be good for a few hours fishing.

Good luck,

I have lobbied this with the charris/deepwater ramp on the Gold Coast, the simple answer was I cannot pay the council as much money as Charis and the pub at deepwater across the road, so it is easier to upset the boaties, then the boaties park in the back streets and they book them for illegal parking.
    Welcome to the real world

cheers

Hi all,

Got this email back from the Councillor......

Good afternoon Andrew,

Thank you for your email and I understand your frustration. The Reserve is loved by a variety of users and when the weather is good everyone wants space. Primarily though the eastern side is parking for the users of the boat ramps. The improvements made a couple of years ago increased parking for day trippers or those users without a trailer but with limited access to water in the City parking space will always be in high demand.
    I have been working with officers to try and find a solution to alleviate the concern and at present we are organising a meeting of representatives of the various user groups. If you would like I can add your name to this list to attend.
    In the coming year work will commence on the new William Street boat ramp car park and I am hopeful this may alleviate some of the pressure on Wellington Point Reserve.
    I totally understand your frustration and am looking forward to future discussions,

Warm Regards,

CrWendy Boglary
    Division 1 Councillor
    Redland City Council
    Ph: 3829 8619
    wendy.boglary@redland.qld.gov.au
    Due to the quantity of emails received daily occasionally one gets missed. If you do not receive a response within 48 hours, please follow up as your views and concerns are important to me.

i'm thinking a meet and greet at wello boat ramp one nice saturday arvo. wait till say 1.30 when its chockers and start double parking. find a nice shady place and have a few brews... what? move my car? i've been drinking. cant drive for another couple of hours. sorry, you'll have to wait.