Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jet Boat tours on the Gold Coast

Jet Boat tours on the Gold Coast

I received this press release today (see below)
    I have a problem with the concept of high speed jet boats through the shallows of our estuaries.
    What do you think.
    Dave ><>

Paradise Jetboating announces;
    New “Safari Adventure” and Sea World Discount Combo

Paradise Jetboating, the Gold Coast’s largest Jet Boat Thrill Ride Company, has recently introduced a new and unique ride option for adventure seeking locals and visitors to the Gold Coast.

The ‘Mangrove Safari’ is an 80 minute adventure through the Broadwater and into the mangrove estuary areas of the Coomera and Pimpama Rivers.

Tony Johnson, Managing Director of Paradise Jetboating, says, “We think it’s the ultimate Jet Boat experience available in Australia. Combining all of the spins, high speed drifting and other thrilling manoeuvres that Jet Boats are renowned for with the excitement of speeding through the shallow, narrow mangrove channels of this beautiful region is an unforgettable experience.”
    “Travelling in as little as 10cm of water we can access areas rarely visited, and with the flat hulls, no propeller and creating little wash these boats are extremely eco friendly” Tony explains.
    “Along with the popular 45 minute Broadwater Adventure and the 30 minute Jet Blast rides, the Mangrove Safari will satisfy the Thrillseeker looking for a truly unique experience.”...
    Last edited by Nugget; 31-07-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Re: Jet Boat tours on the Gold Coast

Geez. I would hate to be sitting in a tinny tucked into a hidden spot just beside some mangroves and suddenly see one of these things appear from nowhere coming at me at high speed.

My guess is that they will deliberately hug shorelines closely so as to maximise the effect and increase the thrill. I can sense a fatality waiting to happen when one of these things ploughs into a sleepy tinnie just around a bend.

I wonder if they make a lot of noise?

[quote=charleville;660607]Geez. I would hate to be sitting in a tinny tucked into a hidden spot just beside some mangroves and suddenly see one of these things appear from nowhere coming at me at high speed.

My guess is that they will deliberately hug shorelines closely so as to maximise the effect and increase the thrill. I can sense a fatality waiting to happen when one of these things ploughs into a sleepy tinnie just around a bend.

I wonder if they make a lot of noise?[/quote]

believe me ..they do...single or twin V8's with above water exhaust

sweet, something else to throw lures at. i was getting sick of only trying to hit jetskiers and wakeborders.

When i was fishing of the GC a few months ago they had those jet racing boats going around with a helicopter following them at low altitude. There were probably 5 or 6 of them, and they were incredibly loud..........AND ANNOYING.

Surprisingly the wake wasnt all that bad

hmmm....sounds very environmentally sustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by theclick View Post
    Surprisingly the wake wasnt all that bad
    The wake isn't that bad when they are going in a straight line, which isn't that often! They have a habit of throwing the boats sideways when near the bank edges and they throw a lot of water a long way up the bank. Only my opinion, but the erosion these would create compared to a regular boat must be ten fold.

Marty

Have been unfortunate enough to have been close to these boats on a few occasions and I personally find them to be an obvious and significant additional risk to boating on the Broadwater.

Their mode of operation is such that they twist and turn back and forth and do tight 360s in the channel and else where and given the amount of traffic in the Broadwater area they are one more irrational accident waiting to happen.

No doubt they are a safe vessel to travel in; as long as they don't hit someone; but its the way they operate, which is designed to give max thrills to the passengers that increases the risk both to other users of these crowded waterways and themselves that worries me.

Shallow water and narrow mangrove channel and mangrove fringe zones should not be used to give thrill rides in these boats because of the risks this poses to other boaters as well as the environment IMHO.

It will be interesting to watch the EPA etc reaction to this proposal. One wonders if there has been the necessary ammendment to the terms and conditions of their approved operation scope.

I also would be surprised if the risk assessment of these proposed thrill rides in narrow chanels and on the fringe of mangrove etc gives their insurer a warm fuzzy feeling?

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Heya Nugget

Just another yahoo on the water in my opinion, can't see that it would be much better or worse than a jet ski, thunder cat, cruiser or even tinnie in the wrong hands.

un friggin' believable.
    Doesn't anybody sit down and really think about this before the mouth starts flappin'??
    As a protest all we need to do is have a million (maybe not that many but a lot ) of boats anchored along the path and see if they obey the laws or not.
    I'd hate to be the skipper if the passengers want a thrill ride and they get a 6kt putt up the creek.
    If they want a thrill ride send them down to...what's the name of the place??...where they hold the jetboat races..down from Tweed Heads. That'll give them some money to those who built and maintain the course and if you want a thrill you get a doozy of one.
    Your pulling our leg aren't you Nugget??? Gees I hope you are
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Imagine it would only be a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed.

I am sure there would be way too much traffic coming and going and criss crossing the waterway for this activity to be safely operated.

How could they possible go up the waterway operating the way they do and obey the law when passing boats at anchor and boats underway.

I think Finga has a great idea

went on one with my daughter not long ago it was agreat trip found out fishing spots to multi million dollar houses it was atour with abit of fun included, on the gold coast and would do it again, very safety aware around other boats and was a pleasure. cheers bdowdy.

So does the public get a say in whether this should go ahead or not?

I reckon they can stay out of our rivers!!
    keep the jetboats in the broadwater!!

If the tourists want to go through the shallow, narrow mangrove channels of this beautiful region and have an "unforgettable experience.” either hire a boat or get on a cruise.
    Why ruin our privelage of being able to fish these quieter rivers, and put many other people at risk, all at the expense of some tourists 30minute 'joyride'.

Bah.

Where do I sign the petition
    .......Ash

If you choose to live in a tourism originated city with all the latest conveniences at your fingertips!.Why not have shallow water jetboating.
    wamjam

Quote Originally Posted by wamjam View Post
    If you choose to live in a tourism originated city with all the latest conveniences at your fingertips!.Why not have shallow water jetboating.
    wamjam
    We allready do have it.
    but, they want to venture from the wide expanse of shallow sand flats of the broadwater into the narrow river sytems.
    .......Ash