Thread: Removing Boat from Trailer at home.

Removing Boat from Trailer at home.

I need do do some repairs to my trailer so have to remove my boat a 4.9 Webster Twinfisher with 90 Yamaha .Is it better to lower onto some tyres on concrete or on grassed area. will be off for about 4 - 6 weeks . I am concerned it may sink a bit on grass if it rains.
    Thanks John

Re: Removing Boat from Trailer at home.

I prefer grass as Murphys Law usually applies to me, it wont sink if you have it on tyres. Just been looking at one on Boat Point as interested in getting that model.

Cant see tyres sinking much in the grass but it will kill the lawn over that period of time and take a while to grow back during winter..

Tyres on grass
    a Webster is every easier with the twin hulls spreading the load and also stabilising it
    just keep an eye on transducers or anything else hanging off the transom

Provided you don't mind killing the lawn, grass is a lot more forgiving in the case of a misadventure than concrete. That said, I've dropped monohulls onto tyres on both surfaces without issue. Provided you are confident in the process and careful, neither should be an issue.

Keep this in mind council wont pick up any type of tyres on council clean up also when i last went to the tip 3 years ago they want $50 or $70 for every single tyre

A better idea might be to grab some polystyrene sheet 50mm thick and lay the hull on that, i just laid my hull on timber but im repairing and painting it

Depends on where you live Gazza. As a resident of our shire, we can take them to the tip for free up to 4 at a time. They cost nothing from a tyre shop. They are happy to give them away.

Hey Scott i dropped my boat cabin off at Lukas Heights tip just 5mins from the shire and they wanted me to pay i think i had 7 car and motorbike tyres so i was looking at quiet a bit i had to chuck the rubbish in the skip bin than put all the tyres back on the trailer and took them home

I think that was Suez tip hppe i spelt that right, the one just off heathcoat road i have heard there was a rubbish recycling factory in blacktown and they recycle each tyre for $5 but i heard that from someone else on fb so not sure if it were true

With todays technology and recycling being abig thing i would have thought tyres being a commidity since they can mince them up and use them in road beds

Anyhow i reckon 4 blocks 200x200x50mm of styrofoam or extruded foam wouldbe an easy option to put the hull 9n very easy to just chuck the foam in the bin

I know that my 5.7m hull has sat on one piece of soft timber and one piece of thermolight and the foam thermolight didnt even squash all it is is extruded like foam

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Keep this in mind council wont pick up any type of tyres on council clean up also when i last went to the tip 3 years ago they want $50 or $70 for every single tyre

A better idea might be to grab some polystyrene sheet 50mm thick and lay the hull on that, i just laid my hull on timber but im repairing and painting it
    I went to Camden Council on the weekend and sign at front said “We no longer take tyre”

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Hello John K,
    I have dropped my 4.3 Twinfisher onto grass, easy and soft.
    For an extended period I would put it down onto concrete with several pieces of softwood timber to spread the load.
    Like the others say it is going to kill the grass.
    To load it back onto the trailer, have the trailer unhitched and winch the trailer down underneath the boat, making sure that it doesn't run away when all the weight is on the trailer.
    Must be a major trailer repair!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I need do do some repairs to my trailer so have to remove my boat a 4.9 Webster Twinfisher with 90 Yamaha .Is it better to lower onto some tyres on concrete or on grassed area. will be off for about 4 - 6 weeks . I am concerned it may sink a bit on grass if it rains.
    Thanks John
    The grass will be killed off under the tyres, but the grass will always come back with a little TLC

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app