Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the reef really dying..?

Is the reef really dying..?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aareef.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	122090

We have had some brilliant weather lately n FNQ and the ramps have been packed most days and the fish really have been on the chew..
    The missus and I have been getting out every week...

It got me thinking on an overnight trip earlier this week after looking at some of the Go pro shots of this particular reef we have been diving on for the past 15 years....Its seen its ups and downs because of Both Cyclone Larryin 2006 and Cyclone Yasi in 2011 where it was totally smashed with piles of white dead coral filling all the sandy gutters..
    It also suffered quite a bit of bleaching about 18 months back.....

It's funny though when I read about the supposed impending death of the reef from academics and global warming proponents..I have to wonder how much actual observation over time is done to arrive at such conclusions...I, personally have witnessed in many areas how resilient the coral is and how quickly after very destructive events it actually bounces back very well..the areas in the photos were almost white a year ago and yet so quickly now once again its wall to wall coral with the colour coming back....much like other areas we also explore out there....

We also had a quick scoot out 80 kms to the edge of the shelf and had a few drops on isolated structure in about 70m for some nice reds, Maori cod, Jobfish, Spangler etc....had to come back in closer soon as the run picked up and finding the bottom became impossible...the trout were as thick on the shallower reef as I have seen them in my 20 years fishing up here..

Name:	aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaareef.jpg 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	122083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaaaareef.jpg 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	122084Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaareef.jpg 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	122085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaaaaaaaaareef.jpg 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	122086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaaaaaaaaaaaareef.jpg 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	122087Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaareef.jpg 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	122088

Re: Is the reef really dying..?

Well done. Some nice pictures there, hopefully it’s not all doom and gloom like they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like every couple of years some alarmist comes out and says that half the reef just died in a bleaching event. By now there must only be about 1% that isn’t bleached.

I forget his name, the American biologist that seems to contradict the alarmists all the time. He reckons the major reason for bleaching is prolonged periods of calm weather. If the cooler deeper waters don’t get stirred up to get over the reef the top water remains too hot and causes the bleaching. Well global warming is supposed to increase the intensity and number of severe weather events. So that should cut the bleaching events shouldn’t it?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Agree
    As a kid went out {got photos from the olds swimming with Ulysses the Groper at 3) since I can remember and then worked for Perry Harvey out to Beaver Cay for years. It's all cyclic. Pretty sure you're from that way. Crown of Thorns back in the day would decimate the reef and we did our bit to knock that off but whether we did or not the reef would always come back. Taylor Cay never got any love but has revived many times in my short human life span.
    If you were studying Tinea at Uni and had a crack at linking it to global warming more likely you'd get funding. That's a bit of a generalisation I know but truly think that's how a lot of our reef dying myths come about.

Lovey, as we both know, coral bleaching itself is not necessarily synonymous with death..
    I have been told by backpackers staying with us, that have never even been to the reef, that they heard that 90% of the reef was killed by bleaching....seriously how do you educate someone that believes such rubbish without doing the least bit of actual research or observation themselves...
    The coral in those photo's at Yamacutta sand cay was almost all white and bleached 6 months ago..already the colours are coming back and its almost wall to wall healthy coral and all the critters as well....it seems to be a very dynamic ecosystem and more resilent then scientists would lead us to beleive..

Dezzer my missus also worked on the Friendship as a dive guide over 20 years back..she also worked on the Quickcat...

We recently snorkelled around Beaver Cay and few hundred yards south of the Cay and its quite nice there also..some Giant clams and all...
    Interesting you mention the Crown of Thorns...I remember it said at one time that they would spell the end of the reef...but initially from some random divers and groups like yourself taking action and now a Government run program have seemed to have it under control....

https://blog.csiro.au/crown-of-thorn...-barrier-reef/

A bit off topic and sorry to derail, disorderly your old mate the boat sales guy is trying to flog his boats off again on the diy boat rebuild group on facebook just thought i would let u know..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    A bit off topic and sorry to derail, disorderly your old mate the boat sales guy is trying to flog his boats off again on the diy boat rebuild group on facebook just thought i would let u know..

Gazza what is name of Facebook page

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

The short answer is no. An interesting observation was made recently about the Yongala wreck. It is right in the firing line of the Burdekin River runoff and it is and is always in pristine condition. Also recently, a resident 'alarmist' from Magnetic Island filmed some of the bleached corals around the island. They are on their way to recovery already. Townsville also recently had a huge flood the likes of which has never been seen before. There were no detrimental effects to local coral or seagrass areas.
    There's more money for JCU and the like if the reef is 'threatened'.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Gazza what is name of Facebook page

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    This one ShakeyAttachment 122102

I just seen another post they appear to look like aussie style boats but rodger is promoting them on a usa based group

Attachment 122196

Dude, if you have something to contribute to the actual topic I posted, feel free...if not, can you either message people directly or start your own thread rather then take my thread off topic and fill it up with your crap......

With crap weather for the past 3 weeks aside from a run up the river in the tinnie..the offshore fishing has not been possible so just a couple more pics from last trip out...Man we are lucky to live up here in FNQ withs its wide variety of fish....we had some of that Cattledog cod for dinner last night and it rates right up there with Red Emperor in my opinion....The Chinaman is one of the best fighters in the Sea but a disappointment everytime you see one because you think you have a 15kg Red on...

Upstart, I havent dived the Yongala but my Boy did last year and some of the pics are very cool...quite amazing coral and animal life for a place so close to the coast and river mouth as you mention....he also checked out Orpheus island in the Palm islands group with its man made Giant clam gardens which is not far from the 300 km long Herbert River mouth.....I think the reef is more resilient then many scientists would lead us to believe and as you also allude to, far more funding to be had through scaremongering..Once the weather comes good , the missus wants to check out Orpheous..will get some pics when that happens..

For anyone thats actually interested in learning a little about the actual science versus propoganda about the reef...Dr Peter Ridd's work is a good starting point..Its pretty scandalous what he has faced for questioning bad science and standing up against the self serving and narrow minded environmental pseudoscience that is taking over our Universities......

https://www.facebook.com/DrPeterRidd

Name:	20200818_155722 (2).jpg 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	122198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200818_154756 (2).jpg 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	122199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cattledog.jpg 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	122200

cattledog cod , awesome name , must be a tenaciuos fighting fish ... its worrying that false narratives are being rolled out in universities like you say to serve the interests of a particular few..
    the same kind that was force feeding the kids 30-40 years ago about the hole in the ozone layer caused by CFCs in aerosols... ughh we are still using them and the ozone layer is todays climate change to a new generation .
    pristine waters and quality fish up your way . nice photos of the reef marvelous

I was helping u with awareness sunshine...

Gee next you will saying there is no shortage of sharks !!!!

just joking ...... we all know research is linked to funding...... and scientist are as holy as priests

BigE