Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boat ownership cost vs benefit

Re: Boat ownership cost vs benefit

I think the second hand market is starting to deflate ...... yesterdays 1.4% fixed interest rate rise by the CBA wont help either.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yeah Sam the factory production boats may be catching up to demand..I notice 3 new yellowfins sitting in the local Quintrex yard for the past couple of weeks which woudnt have happened 6-12 months back....they would have been in and out as soon as fitted out ..

I saw a 3 yr old 6.2m Svvenson listed on Plate boats FB for about 137K that was snapped up within days...Sam, How does the market look for smaller custom boat builders in that 6-7m size..?...seems to be a slightly different market then people looking for Formosa, stessel, Tabs etc...

and an interesting point you make about people buying them through lockdown and now trying to offload them....I think most folks knew that was only a matter of time..
    Scott, I haven't looked at the 6m+ market as that is not what I'm after, although in saying that Lovely's boat has me interested.

Give it a few more months and maybe Prices back to normal ??..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Give it a few more months and maybe Prices back to normal ??..
    Already more boats up for sale with 25% now reduced price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Lovely's boat has me interested.
    Sam, if fuel prices keep rising and the arse totally falls out of the boat market, by Xmas you might pick it up for 20K....

Sam, if fuel prices keep rising and the arse totally falls out of the boat market, by Xmas you might pick it up for 20K....
    When does the fuel excise go back to normal ?
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    When does the fuel excise go back to normal ?
    I think it was for 6 months..So maybe end of September...was 2.09c in town today ...

I may have to leave the big boat in the shed and start doing reef trips in the 3.85 explorer...

I think it was for 6 months..So maybe end of September...was 2.09c in town today ...

I may have to leave the big boat in the shed and start doing reef trips in the 3.85 explorer...
    or start chasin Bream n Flatties for a changee lol..

or start chasin Bream n Flatties for a changee lol..
    Volvo, please just shoot me now...

Volvo, please just shoot me now...

Yeah not a great fan of Flatties either but Silver bream whole on griller is another story lol...

Yeah not a great fan of Flatties either but Silver bream whole on griller is another story lol...
    Wy mil used to cook them whole in a frypan with a pat of butter, yummo. I still like the flatties though, more the catching side as the peace and serenity of gently moving along the mangroves in the Passage is like being almost any where in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Wy mil used to cook them whole in a frypan with a pat of butter, yummo. I still like the flatties though, more the catching side as the peace and serenity of gently moving along the mangroves in the Passage is like being almost any where in the world.
    I have nothing against the humble flattie, bream or whiting..its just that up here we dont have the lovely estuaries like down south...

Although the creeks on Hinchinbrook are very picturesque indeed..

But I'm still not fishing in croc and midgie- infested estuaries for anything less then a chance at a nice Barra..

Lets say I own a $80k boat.

Do 20 reef trips a year. Come back with an average of 5-10kg of coral trout, nanny/red fillets each time i go. average cost of really nice reef fish is $40kg. Thats average of $300 of fish every time i go out. thats $6k worth of fish fillets a year.

Add in a cost of $150 per trip.thats $3000, + rego, + insurance and maintainace etc. for the year and the cost ends up about even.

If you buy the right boat it will hardly depreciate over a 5-10y period. lets say your 80k boat is now worth 70k. thats 1k extra a year to use it.

sell the boat after 10y for an upgrade and its a heap cheaper than charters, plus the price of freedom is worth it.

boats are a wierd thing to buy. one of the few toys that can potentially make you money or at least end up nearly cost neutral.

I personally have made $40k of money buying a selling the right type of boat over the past decade

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post

Do 20 reef trips a year. Come back with an average of 5-10kg of coral trout, nanny/red fillets each time i go. average cost of really nice reef fish is $40kg. Thats average of $300 of fish every time i go out. thats $6k worth of fish fillets a year.

Add in a cost of $150 per trip.thats $3000, + rego, + insurance and maintainace etc. for the year and the cost ends up about even.

If you buy the right boat it will hardly depreciate over a 5-10y period. lets say your 80k boat is now worth 70k. thats 1k extra a year to use it.

sell the boat after 10y for an upgrade and its a heap cheaper than charters, plus the price of freedom is worth it.

boats are a wierd thing to buy. one of the few toys that can potentially make you money or at least end up nearly cost neutral.

I personally have made $40k of money buying a selling the right type of boat over the past decade
    If your measure is $ / kg ....... absolutely

20 reef trips / year is good going on usage as well ....... If I was able to get that kind of usage out of my boat I would be over the moon

As someone who keeps minimal fish - the $ / kg thing is never a consideration ........ for me it's the enjoyment factor & building my holidays around the boat , so it's quite a bit different to someone who can fish on a regular basis .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post

I think my fish return is around $6000/kg. Very tasty, and the lady's I give a lot of it away to think it is worth every cent as do I for the few I retain.
    Boat ownership is all about lifestyle, enjoying the environment, the peace and quiet, the tribulations when things go wrong, the challenges when you need to think out of the box to solve a problem on the boat or trying to catch that fish that has gone on a hunger strike.
    You get a call from a mate who needs you to help a friend out with fishing tips in your area, the easiest way is to take them out.
    It is definitely a lifes choice.