Thread: Hydrive Steering Helm

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Hydrive Steering Helm

Hi

Just wanted some advice regarding my Hydrive Skipper series steering helm. Ever since I have owned the boat I have had trouble with the helm leaking from what I thought was the fill point. On closer inspection it now looks like it is leaking from where the steering shaft comes out the helm. I have also just replaced the rear ram.

My question is considering I have already spent $400 a few years back having the helm done up and the helm is a 93 model, am I fighting a losing battle trying to repair it or should I just cough up the $650 and have it replaced with a new admiral series helm.

Thanks for any advice

Re: Hydrive Steering Helm

Chat to Jim McKinnon (captain red nut on here) from Aquamobile Marine. He is extremely knowledgeable on steering & a great guy to deal with. Sorted out my Hydrive helm probs at a reasonable price.

hey danstu
    the skipper series helm is a great helm and providing there is no wear in the main shaft (where its leaking from) it will only require a new seal,
    have you got a photo of the helm set up you can post on here?? then i can advise if its likely its worth repairing.
    for example hydraulic steering helms used in center consoles where the person driving is holding himself in solely by the steering wheel normally wears out the shaft and bush's and they are not worth repairing.
    regards Jim

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Captain Rednut

Thanks for replying to my post. The helm setup is on a Seafarer Victory. I can send a photo but you would probably know what that looks like. Let me know if you want a photo. Much appreciate the help.