Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allmand 22' New Panga

Re: Allmand 22' New Panga

Thanks Allamandboats for the above info. I like the positives of a Panga style hull and can live with its limitations
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Ausfish Silver Member

700a would do me.group buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    That 28 is a beast. They seem to need a lot of power (the 6' wide 22'er needs a min of 90hp). Are they a deeper V with no Delta pad?
    Hi Horse,,
    Delta pad--- suppose the salesmen have to call it something. The hull on Tronqued boats is truly innovative, and efficient at all speeds.
    Clear water follows the hull from 4 knots to over 30 which I achieve with a 150 Yammy4stk.
    There is a tunnel which starts from nothing at he bow to approx. 50 cm at the stern, which lines up with the motor cavitaton plate.
    Feel economy is better than any boat of this size.
    Cav(J.C.)

Great post, thanks Horse. I like the pangas but I hope they start making a nice looking walkaround as my wife has told me she wants a cabin for staying overnight..

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    Great post, thanks Horse. I like the pangas but I hope they start making a nice looking walkaround as my wife has told me she wants a cabin for staying overnight..
    Nicko,I think when you start trying to make a Panga do more than its designed for you become unstuck. Once they make them wide enough for a cabin they start needing big HP. They won't suit most people but it ticks the right boxes for me
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

When does a "panga" cease to be a panga and become a "normal" boat, as in its width to length ratio ?

They have always interested me as a boat for hervey bay area. Like always, none for sale when i have been looking/ready to buy. Leigh

From what I can make out the true Panga's are based on the Yamaha longboat design. They have a narrow beam compared to their length and have the characteristic "Delta Pad" hull design. The delta pad also allows them to be beached easily. They have a high bow for increased seaworthiness and low sides to reduce wind-age and to make commercial netting easier. They have concave sides with a floatation bulge at the top.
    Boats like Galeforce and the early Hookers have some of these characteristics but not the Delta pad to increase efficiency
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I own a 6.2 m Dolphin Flexihul longboatl, built in 2001 (sorry moulded in 2001) as it is made of plastic - correct me if I am wrong but I have heard that this design was developed by the World Health Organisation for poor third world fishermen as it is cheap (pops out of a plastic mould), easy to propel through the water due to its narrow design and lightweight plastic (mine has a 70hp which is max size), has high load carrying capacity (mine takes 8 adults) and easy to fish, snorkel, scuba dive from due to its low gunwales.

Is this correct of the longboat/banana boat/panga design?

The Yamaha version was developed for the World Bank Project around 1970 for that specific purpose.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Yeah I was refering to the other non-panga boats on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Nicko,I think when you start trying to make a Panga do more than its designed for you become unstuck. Once they make them wide enough for a cabin they start needing big HP. They won't suit most people but it ticks the right boxes for me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lee8sec View Post
    When does a "panga" cease to be a panga and become a "normal" boat, as in its width to length ratio ?

They have always interested me as a boat for hervey bay area. Like always, none for sale when i have been looking/ready to buy. Leigh
    Shipment due end January via gold coast agent just google panga longboats or go on boatpoint

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyk View Post
    Shipment due end January via gold coast agent just google panga longboats or go on boatpoint
    I spoke to he guy on the weekend. He is importing a few at a time so they are well priced. It certainly saves the hassle of importing a one off boat
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I have a 5.8M Southern Star (The original Yamaha designed hull) with 90HP 2-stroke...I get on average 1.7Km's to 1.8Km's per liter of fuel on a reasonable day fully loaded for fishing trip with say 2 POB cruising around 4000 rpm which is about 40 KM's per hour to the grounds plus travelling between marks once there. Worst figures I have had are 1.5Km's per liter on a rough as guts day fully loaded. I reckon if I drove on flat water with light load max 3800 rpm I would get up to 2 KM's per liter.
    Just thought I would post for interest.

Thanks Crunchy. That's what I'm aiming for in the 6.7m version. Same width and only a few kg heavier should give about the same performance. With a 4 stroke I would hope to do much better than 2km/L
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Yeh with a 4 stroke and driving economically you could push well past the 2Km/L.....they are a very versatile boat and I reckon the 6.7 would be an awesome fishing machine.