Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Twin's Vs Single? Similar Horse Power

Re: Twin's Vs Single? Similar Horse Power

Your worried about safety and want to bolt 40-50 year outboards on
    Also only have a 40l fuel tank and want to refuel at sea still

Do you read what you write ?

Steve do u read what i write where did you come up with a 40 litre tank?, 40, 50 year old engines are still running today, how many late model outboards are unreliable lasting 10 years?

If u rebuild two old vintage 70hp engines they'll last another 20 years

Yes I read what you write it’s hard to keep up with the ramblings
    what was it 40 60 or 70 litres ? it’s hard to keep up as I said

your so worried about sinking or engine trouble yet build a offshore boat and want to put home built or vintage engines on it

why rebuild old shit when you can buy a single engine with life still in it

and no they arnt reliable have towed enough people back with old crap to know that to be true
    and once you start pulling them apart and snapping bolts and find parts hard to find we will have ten more threads on here full of ramblings

Well I cant remember the last time seeing an old blue band Mercury on the water ..... or one of those orange Suzuki's (thankfully)

You can rebuild these things all you like ..... but time & salt water takes it's toll on boats - particularly outboards

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Steve if your going to make a point please be precise

I honestly have no problem running two old 70hp evinrudes i have owned a few old evinrudes and have never blown one up, there are still rebuild kits to freshen two up, as for seized and snapped boltsi have already demonstrated my youtube video on how to remove the snapped bolts piece of cake

I just cant at the moment afford 2x modern 70hp engines, a 70hp 2000 era yamaha are still going for $5000 each, i would love 2x tohatsu 90hp late models 2 strokesbut again they are expensive

So i will have to settle on two old evinrudes dolled up with alick of paint and maybe a refresh powerhead for reliability

Rebuild kits are pretty cheap btw
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I honestly have no problem running two old 70hp evinrudes i have owned a few old evinrudes and have never blown one up.
    I had an old 70hp Evinrude nearly 20 years back...it went ok...till it blew up..

At the moment its a wild idea i would like to follow through with but im not sure if it's possible, the trailer has been my focus for right now,

I had a quick squiz at my transom this afternoon as i was pulling the tarp back over the ass end, i haven't gotten out the tape measure but it appears the twins may have to sit partly over my 20inch cut out which may look out of place

The 70's and 80's era johnson/evinrude 70hp engines only sell for about 1000 bucks each and they weigh 130kg each i'm just not sure about steering, linkages or even dual forward controls
    The controls on those older models simply mount together for twins, steering is the same, but there is a tie bar between both motors, I personally wouldn't rebuild them, look for running motors in the first place (in my opinion) if you decide to go twins, just fill the transom cutout back in, I wouldn't go the jack plate business either, you will be way better off using your Mercury or looking for a decent running 2 stroke, there is plenty around cheap if you look.

I honestly have no problem running two old 70hp evinrudes i have owned a few old evinrudes and have never blown one up, there are still rebuild kits to freshen two up, as for seized and snapped boltsi have already demonstrated my youtube video on how to remove the snapped bolts piece of cake

I just cant at the moment afford 2x modern 70hp engines, a 70hp 2000 era yamaha are still going for $5000 each, i would love 2x tohatsu 90hp late models 2 strokesbut again they are expensive

So i will have to settle on two old evinrudes dolled up with alick of paint and maybe a refresh powerhead for reliability
    You were telling us before that carby two strokes would worth next to nothing in a couple of years. I pointed out the incongruity in that if the idea was doing things on the cheap then why not buy one that is running instead of rebuilding a high tech motor. So far you have 2 unfinished ones, the etec and your 4 stroke mercury.

Ausfish Silver Member

Steve if your going to make a point please be precise
    sorry but this post made me laugh.

So, what exactly is the problem with the 90 4st, now that you are questioning it's reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    sorry but this post made me laugh.
    im not even replying to it its like trying to have an intelligent conversation with my dog

the guy has spent enough to actually just buy a running boat.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    im not even replying to it its like trying to have an intelligent conversation with my dog
    Have you given up playing chess with the pigeon then..?

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post

the guy has spent enough to actually just buy a running boat.
    Intelligent.. Steve u cant even colour code you're socks mate, you're pulling tank sizes out of your head blaiming me for talking to much... never your fault is it..