Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunshine Coast deep dropping

Sunshine Coast deep dropping

So the weather was great on Thursday so decided to head out wide of caloundra and try deep dropping jigs/bait for the first time using just my muscles with a torium 30 and oceans legacy 300-700g rod, was great being hit on every drop but could only get those green eye sharks, have been told you need to be persistent as where they are the other stuff usually is aswell but is pretty deflating bringing them up from 265m, so alas I have gone to the dark side and have been given a good price for a forcemaster 9000a spooled with 80lb power pro and a choice of a shimano revolution or a shimano status rod both with swivel tips and around the same price, does anyone have any experience with either of these rods, I’m leaning towards the revolution but both seem capable rods
    thanks
    Terry
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Re: Sunshine Coast deep dropping

Good effort, too deep for me to wind up with not so good back, electric reel is the go.Would be great to get some bar cod or blue-eye. I too had my share of dogfish (Green-eye shark), they are good eating , Dont get stung by the dorsal barb, they sting and hard to stop bleeding, I've never been stung but have seen someone that has.

That’s good to know they good eating I’ll keep one next time to try if get nothing else, heading out on Wednesday and try for blue eye in the 450-500m ground out from Caloundra, have a shimano forcemaster electric reel now with a shimano revolution rod deep drop rod combo, thanks about the barb I did notice it and was wondering about that, I just used pliars and shaked them off the circle they don’t seem to thrash around as much as normal sharks so was pretty easy
    Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Good effort, too deep for me to wind up with not so good back, electric reel is the go.Would be great to get some bar cod or blue-eye. I too had my share of dogfish (Green-eye shark), they are good eating , Dont get stung by the dorsal barb, they sting and hard to stop bleeding, I've never been stung but have seen someone that has.

If the Green Eyes are OK size they are good eating (I don't eat them) the spike on their back is not that sharp, but it could give you a poke if careless.

Try a longer line from bottom hook T to sinker.
    Make it around 5m or more.
    Give yourself half a chance.

9D83F4CC-5915-4EC7-995A-B3AACFFD0300.jpgHeaded out to the shelf 450-500m line east of caloundra chasing blue eye and found a
    nice pinnacle that was loaded, set up
    a drift and the rod and reel loaded up and up come a triple of rays bream, another drop and two more, apparently pretty good eating so we will seeAttachment 124083
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just an update on a couple of deep dropping trips I’ve done hitting the 200m+ grounds I’ve picked up a good variety of tasty critters including Eastern Nannygai and sunrise perch and a small bar cod that has me keen to search for the big ones, been making my own rigs which I find quite therapeutic sitting at the table with a beer or rum
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good to see you having success there Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Good to see you having success there Terry.
    Thanks mate, fair bit of searching ground but is good to have a back up if the close stuff is quiet

I have rigs made just using fluro beads and not the fluro squid jigs, occasionally when a good school doesn't want to bite I change over to them and it seems to work better. Haven't been deep dropping for a while now and miss it.

I am really keen to get into deep dropping when I get my next offshore boat.

Is it feasible to fish 4x Electric Reels/Rods out of the 4 corners of the back deck of a boat like can be done in up to 100m when drifting or are tangles too hard to manage. Would spot locking with an electric help a lot with this type of fishing?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I am really keen to get into deep dropping when I get my next offshore boat.

Is it feasible to fish 4x Electric Reels/Rods out of the 4 corners of the back deck of a boat like can be done in up to 100m when drifting or are tangles too hard to manage. Would spot locking with an electric help a lot with this type of fishing?
    Certainly you can use 4lines if you're into macrame. There is a bit of an art in deep dropping, it's not simply drop and wait as your bait will end up a long way from where you marked. The basics are, drop on mark and freespool while driving forward, then drift/motor back to your spot.

Thanks Dig, how do you thing a spot lock motor would assist provided surface and deeper currents are pretty slow?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Thanks Dig, how do you thing a spot lock motor would assist provided surface and deeper currents are pretty slow?
    To be honest I'm not sure how a leccy would help other than reduce fuel usage, we often would reverse the boat to keep the lines as vertical as possible. The current flow at 200 or 400 metres could be totally opposed to the wind and swell directions on the surface, on the bottom at those depths there is often very little flow. It really is a try it and see what works on the day, keep8ng an eye on how much line you have out is critical. Oh, by the way, small baits will catch fish, big baits will often be ignored completely.

no light no bite rule...