Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cape York areas CLOSED.

Cape York areas CLOSED.

So I'm not to sure of the details but I saw this on a Cape York page today..

Does anyone have any further info..?

Places like Bathurst Heads were always locked off at Kalpower crossing for the wet season anyway..so I hope its just a misunderstanding..

Or maybe a sign of the times with over-tourism and the lack of respect some people seem to have when they head off into pristine areas with quads,4wds and dogs and rubbish and their over-entitled attitudes ...

Hopefully not an excuse for a power trip and grab for money by the landowners..

Whichever it is thats certainly disappointing and some fantastic areas now off limits..

cape york closures..jpg

Re: Cape York areas CLOSED.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    So I'm not to sure of the details but I saw this on a Cape York page today..

Does anyone have any further info..?

Places like Bathurst Heads were always locked off at Kalpower crossing for the wet season anyway..so I hope its just a misunderstanding..

Or maybe a sign of the times with over-tourism and the lack of respect some people seem to have when they head off into pristine areas with quads,4wds and dogs and rubbish and their over-entitled attitudes ...

Hopefully not an excuse for a power trip and grab for money by the landowners..

Whichever it is thats certainly disappointing and some fantastic areas now off limits..

cape york closures..jpg
    I will ask some questions about it . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Looking like traditional owners have had a gut full of the areas being degraded by empty heads last season and leaving a hell of a mess and destroying areas needlessly, they are worried about an inundation of tourist who continually breakdown and destroy areas that normally would be not on most peoples radars as it’s too remote . I hear a permit system so numbers can be limited may be put in place before the winter season comes if we’re lucky .
    This will mean places like Lakefield National park which is under a camping permit system and run by National parks is going to spread through the cape . Matt

I thought some of the places listed in the original post had been closed periodically from time to time in previous years. EG. I'm sure you haven't always just been able to head out to Flattery.

It is kinda understandable though some travellers behaviour up there is fairly disrespectful.

Matt

Thanks Bluefin..

Its a sign of the times isnt it..just enough disrespectful grubs to ruin it for the rest...

You would think places like Fraser island will also have to start limiting the tourist numbers somewhat as well...I think something like 100000 bush-shitting tourists go through there each normal year...

It's just a sign of the times I guess, better vehicles, better camping setups/caravans and even once "remote" places are open to everyone, and in that "everyone" there's a few nit wits who bugger it for everyone. Just the other day I was at a nice, reasonably isolated beach and a bunch of dickwits on quad bikes came out of the scrub, onto the beach, hooned around, asked if I was "catching any" went to the edge of the bush again, tossed a couple of drink cans on the ground and disappeared back on the bush track.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    a bunch of dickwits on quad bikes came out of the scrub, onto the beach, hooned around.
    yep, that be the ones..

We’ve just got another half dozen vans turn up today from down south and a couple of campers that are heading north as soon as the roads open , and some of these places where on their itinerary so now they aren’t sure what they are going to do . Looks like I’m going fishing tomorrow so we will see what happens

really ,places are being closed off or restricted everywhere in this country in the name of native title ,no tent sites on north straddie for easter ,camper trailer only with a limit of 4 people in a camper trailer ,etc etc etc

Blaming native title is a cop out. Scenes like this at Eli Creek
    received_321957271747707.jpg
    And actions like this

Aren't compatible with sustainability managing what should be a wilderness area. Sure we can all blame the actions of a few but reducing the overall numbers also reducing those "few"

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Blaming native title is a cop out. Scenes like this at Eli Creek
    received_321957271747707.jpg
    And actions like this

Aren't compatible with sustainability managing what should be a wilderness area. Sure we can all blame the actions of a few but reducing the overall numbers also reducing those "few"

Matt
    Holy crap...wall to wall bogans on a beach..!

I read an interesting comment from Ranmar in another thread about the effects of Covid this past 12 months on Domestic tourism in his area of Northern WA.....

He stated...."Personally, I just wish they'd open things up again, so they can all *** off back to Bali and Thailand, and take their behaviour with them."

Seems he is not wrong going by these clowns..

https://www.news.com.au/technology/e...8c85b127b09a24

So I guess that helps kind of explain the detrimental impact of closed international borders, I think...seems now all those bogans that used to take cheap Asian holidays to create havoc are stuck in Australia now and buying up 4wd's , gazebo's and inflatable mattresses and trying their hardest to destroy a beach or national park campground near you...!

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Holy crap...wall to wall bogans on a beach..!

I read an interesting comment from Ranmar in another thread about the effects of Covid this past 12 months on Domestic tourism in his area of Northern WA.....

He stated...."Personally, I just wish they'd open things up again, so they can all *** off back to Bali and Thailand, and take their behaviour with them."

Seems he is not wrong going by these clowns..

https://www.news.com.au/technology/e...8c85b127b09a24

So I guess that helps kind of explain the detrimental impact of closed international borders, I think...seems now all those bogans that used to take cheap Asian holidays to create havoc are stuck in Australia now and buying up 4wd's , gazebo's and inflatable mattresses and trying their hardest to destroy a beach or national park campground near you...!
    Not a lot of intelligence on that mattress

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Last time I went to Frazer was 1984....way too busy then to bother returning....there are better options.
    Jack.

I saw that pop up in my FB feed and thought it was a joke. FFS !

Matt, is there a link to a specific map with boundaries for these closures and or time frames ?

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Ausfish Bronze Member Stressless's Avatar

This is the best info I could find:

https://data.qldtraffic.qld.gov.au/h...Far_North.html

Anyone planning a trip to Bathurst Heads, take cash for entry (unless things have changed)