Thread: Help me select a reel

Help me select a reel

Hi,

I broke my shakespeare synergy (eggbeater) today and I'm looking for a replacement. Budget is around $100, but preferably like to spend less.

I fish from a boat mainly for bream, flathead, trevally, and whatever else pops up in moreton bay. I really need something tough and corrosion resistant as I seem to be a bit lapse with maintenance after a hard days fishing. Also, the shakespeare corroded a lot even though I tried to look after it, so I don't want a repeat experience.

Any suggestions?

Re: Help me select a reel

I"m running an Abu Garcia, can't remember the model, but i think it's designed for 4 - 8kg's.

great little reel. don't look after it what so ever and there's barely any corrosion on it.. i think i paid about $75 for it at the time.

I'm running a couple of combo's. Mainly Jarvis Walker stuff but my main two are-

Penn Powerstick 7ft rod with a Penn Super Graph II 2000 reel...
    Jarvis Walker 6ft rod with an Abu Garcia Cardinal 340... pretty old reel but its really good.

The Penn reels are the way to go i reckon.

I had a look around today at a few tackle places and there is so much choice! I have no idea what to go for...

I looked at a Penn PR2000 (I think). It looked pretty simple and rugged (what I'm after) and was just $85. Just not really sure, what do people recommend? Also looked at the Daiwa range, the Crossfire 4000 and Samurai 4000, the only difference between them being 1 vs 3 ball bearings and the price. The guys at the tackle shops also seemed keen to sell me Tica Camrys for $99... ???

steer clear of the daiwa samurai 7i as they corrode a fair bit
    id go okuma or something similar for that price range

Hi there,

You are right - there are so many to choose from
    check out the sheakespeare navigator series - they are good value - and in your price range - As far as rods go - buy a silstar and you can't go wrong

Have a look at the Okuma Coronado range. They are around the $130 mark but well worth the extra few bucks.

Cheers
    Bushbasher
    I fish therefore I am

Hi Joe, the Penn power spin PR2000 is a very good solid reel if you like it,it requires regular maintenance(ALL reels do)though or it will cost you big to fix.Mate any one charging $85 for the PR 2000 should be locked up,MO tackle has them for $55 plus $13 delivered to your door.

Which models in the okuma range do people recommend? I want to have a look at some but need to know which models to look for.

Cheers