Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dangerous soft plastics

Re: dangerous soft plastics

I remember years ago there was an article on to possibility of getting skin cancer from washing your hair and letting the soap on your back.

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

the sun will give you cancer, the air we breethe will give you cancer, anything that purports to be healthy is usually shown up to have something bad in it. Enjoy your life while you have it.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

The most damaging cheimcal known to man is - oxygen. It will even eat away at metal. It causes most cancers I think.

There was a scare story going around recently about re-using plastic drink bottles (better to fork out for a new one each time?). Apparently they leach carcinogens into the water. Followed it up - apparently the levels can exceed 1 millionth of the WHO recommended safe limit.

On the other hand the effect of some carcinogens is non-linear. That is smaller doses can be worse that larger doses. A bit like that quack medical theory where they dilute poisons to give you as cures. Forget the name sorry.

Oh yeah they are worried about soft plastics because they use a lot more of the stuff than dummies.

"Warning : This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects and other reproductive harm."

This warning is for lead. You will find all products which may be sold in California have to have this label if there is any chance of lead in the product. So any soft plastics with lead embedded in the plastics will have to display the label.

Wot doya have to do in California? Trail a warning lable for the fish?

'Warning!!! Mr. Fish don't bite this plastic thingi it may be harmful to your health.

Cheers
    j
    4.1m Rainwater tank & 50hp4st donk- go the plastic

i think its a bit far fetched myself? but i guess research doesn't lie! 8)

I have this double tail plastic lure and I dropped it onto a plastic CD case and left it there for a week. It melted the CD case and stuck to it, so these things have funny stuff in them for sure. But fish like them. Wonder if you can get cancer from scoffing a fish that has scoffed a Squidgey. Max

I have this double tail plastic lure and I dropped it onto a plastic CD case and left it there for a week. It melted the CD case and stuck to it, so these things have funny stuff in them for sure. But fish like them. Wonder if you can get cancer from scoffing a fish that has scoffed a Squidgey. Max

Soft Plastics have a habit of melting hard plastics, its the plasticisers in the chemical make up of the plastic that gives them there softness .. thats why when buying any tackle box that is to be used to keep soft plastics it must be labled "Worm Proof".. most tackle box's already are, but some still fall victim to the evil plastic and get eaten inside out.... its also how soft plastics leach colours into things.. like putting your yellow and red 2" grubs together.. they slowly turn into pale red, or pale yelow and a few orangey coloured grubss.

Tim