Thread: Calcutta 200 DC

Calcutta 200 DC

I recently purchased a Calcutta 400 TE from eBay and deliberately steered clear of the Conquest model 400 that has lots of lightening holes drilled in the sides of it because I don't trust their waterproofness, if that is a word.

I am now looking at getting the Calcutta 200 DC but I notice all the models listed by Japanese sellers are all called the 'Calcutta 200 DC Conquest'. I emailed the guy I bought my 400 off and he said the non conquest DC models are export only but couldn't really tell me the difference. The pics of both the conquest and non conquest DC models look the same. The Japanese built ones have

Is there anybody out there that knows if there is any difference?

Re: Calcutta 200 DC

non conquest. #USA

Hi mooks,
    What's ur experience been like purchasing reels from ebay?? Asia and the states?? Some people have told me to keep clear of the asian dealers due to fakes/faults or the like. Maybe pass on the name of a good genuine ebayer?? Do you get warranties??
    Cheers Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by themooks
    I recently purchased a Calcutta 400 TE from eBay and deliberately steered clear of the Conquest model 400 that has lots of lightening holes drilled in the sides of it because I don't trust their waterproofness, if that is a word.

I am now looking at getting the Calcutta 200 DC but I notice all the models listed by Japanese sellers are all called the 'Calcutta 200 DC Conquest'. #I emailed the guy I bought my 400 off and he said the non conquest DC models are export only but couldn't really tell me the difference. #The pics of both the conquest and non conquest DC models look the same. #The Japanese built ones have

Is there anybody out there that knows if there is any difference?

Hey craig,

So far so good. I do the sums and the money I saved on the 400 was pretty vast so it outweighs any inconvenience I might have if I have a warranty claim.

As everybody in ausfish says about eBayers you have to really look at the feedback on the person you are looking at. Having said that it doesn't matter if the guy has 100% good feedback if he has only sold 3 things! Go for somebody that has sold thousands and has a good percentage. If they have any negative feedback go through all the feedback pages to find it and read it. I also reckon the guys that are so big they have their own online stores must be safer as they have an even bigger reputation to protect. For shimano stuff I have no probs with a guy called shimreels.

Now who can answer my question about the 200 conquest differences?.....

Themooks ,

Apart from pouch on Conquest DC and just bag from Calcutta TE-DC , I can't see any different . Chances are , they are the same reel with different packaging to differentiate between Japan
    Domestic product and International marketted product , the same as Stella SW and FA series .

JonLi .
    It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so .
    Mark Twain .

Thanks Jonli

I will have no qualms about buying one of the jap ones now. Is the pic in your post yours? If so, what's it like? I've heard they are pretty hard to get a backlash with.

Mark

Mark ,

Yes , that reel is mine and is the first one from 2 DC reels . I find this reel is better suited to my 6'6" rod while the other reel which I bought later is a smaller 101DC is better suited to my 5'6" rod . I have put my order to the low profile version of DC reel which is Antares DC7 in Lefty version , the distributor promises me early May delivery . #

The Antares DC reels come in 2 different gear ratio , the standard Antares DC has 5.8:1 ratio while the Antares DC7 has 7:1
    gear ratio . #A little more expensive again than the round baitcaster but I guess we pay for improvements ? #

With DC reels , I have become an above average baitcaster than previously a below average one , I will never buy another
    baitcaster without this DC features . The only thing this DC reel won't perform well is when you try to cast a short distance
    target , it will perform just as normal reel then .

JonLi .
    It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so .
    Mark Twain .

Let me tell you a little about Japanese technology, export and domestic products. First of all, no matter what it is, cars, stereos, DVD players or fishing reels, Japan likes to keep the best for themselves, and export the inferior quality products. "Keeping up with the Jones" mentality has changed Japan from having the lowest economy in the world after WW2, to now being one of the richest. I am not 100% sure about the reel mentioned above, but i can be certain that 99% of export products made by shimano or daiwa are inferior to their domestic Japanese models - they maybe assembled with inferior componentry or assembled outside of Japan, or maybe just outdated and rebadged. I live and work in the tackle industry in Japan and I can tell you that Australia is years behind in all aspects of fishing tackle. As for ebay, well if you can sift through all the garbage and find a quality legitimate item then good luck. I can tell you that ebay Australia sellers claiming to sell Japanese products rarely are. Often enough the sellers are still selling export models out of Hong Kong and Singapore. If you are going to buy from ebay, just hold off for a little bit longer as I believe there will be a new player selling the genuine article at a very reasonable price in the not too distant future.
    Mooks if you want more info please email me. -cheers, Raef

Raef , my man .

I am not sure about inferior products for international market but the latest products tend to be released in Japan years ahead of export destination , I have had my 201DC for a good 2 years now and my 101DC for a year now .

Some areas such as in our region , we get a mix of Japan Domestic products
    and International Export products , this depends on the demands of the angler's communities , I guess but in Australia , USA n Europe , Shimano may have different strategies , for example ; we don't get Spheros here but we do get Twinpower .

Most of my casting tackles are Japanese Domestic products because I tend to get them as they are released in Japan , however in this particular case , it is my opinion that Calcutta 200TE DC is Conquest 200DC , just 2 years late in the introduction !

JonLi .
    Mark Twain .

Hey JonLi

I noticed on the write up about this reel from a 'Japanese' seller that they said each cast you do it beeps to let you know the electronic function is working.

Does yours beep every cast? I think this would drive me mad!! Now this is one thing that I would not be not surprised to see on the Japanese model but not the export.

Mark ,

No beep but whirling sound but you hardly notice it when you start concentrating on your fishing .

JonLi .
    Mark Twain .