Thread: Caloundra Bar Photo

eggbeater

Caloundra Bar Photo

Hi guy's.This is a aerial pic of the caloundra bar taken on 2.10.04.
    Hope it is of interest to some people.

Re: #Caloundra Bar Photo

That photo looks like it has been doctored to me. I used to cross Caloundra bar regularly and it was always very wide and shallow. I have also heard reports recently that it is very shallow.

Sorry but I do not believe that this is an accurate indication of the Caloundra bar. It looks great in this photo, but I think the middle sand bar has been cut out.

The more I look at this the more suspicious it looks. I reckon the bar is 3-4 times wider than shown in that photo.

Why would anyone do this? Anyone else care to comment.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Re:  Caloundra Bar Photo

The person that could tell would be Caloundra hmself. I dont think anyone would do something like that on this site at least i hope.

top pic there awesome

i think it is a true pic the tide looks very high when it was taken, and the deeper channel used to run down along the southern side but in the last couple of months it has moved closer to the centre like in the pic and the northern side is the shallowest and try to avoid this part at low tide.

Daniel

#

OK, well my apologies to Awesome. I still find it hard to believe that is how the bar looks now. It sure looks very different from when I used to cross it. Actually, you'd think it looks nice and safe and deep from that photo.

Standing corrected.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

going by the recent bad reports the bar is in good nick there! that must have been a real nice day there, hardly any surf, like you say jeremy big difference from previous times.

yeah id say it looks nice and deep due to the lack of swell... there isnt even any waves breaking on the beach

Having lived on the coast for 15 years (during different periods). I cant say for sure whether the photo is real or doctored. I doubt it is. But I have surfed Happy Valley often and have seen the bar change from having the channel at the northern end to the southern end at least once and it looks like its going back north again.

Bars change from day to day. Its amaizing the difference 6-12 months can make.

eggbeater

Jeremy
    why would i bother 'doctoring' a pic of the bar and then posting it.I have enough trouble trying to post any pic's on this site let alone trying to 'doctor' one.

nice pic awesome,
    you might have some distortion there,
    did you take it from a chopper per chance?

eggbeater

Giday Aido. The distortion is the reflexion off the window of the chopper

thought so,
    just read your currimundi thread post.
    that explains a lot...
    cheers.

jeremy
    reccon you better tell awsome next time your going from cal so he can have the chopper on standby..