Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds,snapper,pearlies and jacks

Reds,snapper,pearlies and jacks

Let me start by saying sorry "spiro"
    Well i left mooloolaba late saturday arvo to fish the shelf out from the hards, running a nice angle to a good 15 knot southeaster which was a little uncomfortable out on the shelf when we arrived. The crew on this trip where all the gun deckies, dad, paul (spaniard) and brad and we needed them to attempt to fish the stiff southerly current we encounted. Unfortunatly i was unable to get away early and it was dark already on arrival, first drop produced a large pearly and maori cod as well as a massive tangle (the worst ive seen ) and by the time we'd recovered the prime fishing period had been missed. The following couple of hours produced a steady stream of fish including many pearlies to 4kg, cod,small reds and moses perch. By 11pm the wind began to drop and it was decided to have a camp and prepare for the morning run.The boys hit the sack while i sounded around heading north, during this time i ploted a dozen good showings, one in particular looked extremely promising.After 4 solid hours of searching i headed to the plotted mark, at 3.15am dad and me droped lines for a drift over the mark, both resulted in solid hook-ups and my fish turned out to be a 20 pound mangrove jack, at first i thought not a red bass! (but no it was a jack "tony") with the sounds of screaming drags the other boys were up and lines in. The next few hours were non stop action with good snapper, huge reds! especially one paul caught well over our 30 pound scales! more pearlies, cod, amberjack, yellow tail kings, big moses pearch as well as a few unstopables and yes the odd shark. It was quickly decided that only the badly hooked or exceptional fish were kept and the esky was filled very quickly. By 5.30 lines were pulled in and a quick count of fish was made.5 good reds really fill the box and i was fortunate that id brought 2. After a breather and bight to eat it was decided to try one of the other showings and the next spot didnt disapoint, more large AJs and big pearlies.By this time i was thinking about all the cleaning to be done and not having slept since 5.00am saturday it was time to pull the pin. The weather had droped right out and it was a beautiful run home and i was able to call up all the ausfish boys fishing at the banks no doubt enjoying themselves as well! Fortunatley paul has a big christmas party organized and it would seem that fish will be the main menu [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Here's a few pics, dont know what the quality is like but im half asleep [smiley=sleeping.gif] catch ya all...foxy

Re: Reds,snapper,pearlies and jacks

dad

me

paul again

me and aj

last pic

Great Catch Foxy.

It must have been a bit rought if you were feeling it in the cat When you say you were out at the shelf, what depths were you fishing. There was a fair bit of current running in the shallows last night, so it must have been hard work out at the shelf. Well deserved, for the effort guys

Mark

What a excellent haul fox and thats one impresive jack
    any weathers werth it with a catch like that im jelouse

bidkev

Nice one Foxy!

kev

Thats a catch i can only dream of ...

Very nice Haul mate ...

Ta ...

Hamza ...

foxy, thats a midnight conspiracy if ever there was one, hard to believe fish like that exist just north of here! that mark must be gold

Well done dfox,

what a catch, certianly makes the effort worthwhile. Wouldn't like to hook a jack like that in a creek

cheers
    Matty

Foxy Foxy Foxy
    I wished i was up there mate but sh-- happens.
    BIG JACK you didnt tell about that mate when you called me this afternoon.
    Hmm cant wait for more reds next year after that current slows down.
    Great catch mate.
    Cheers Greg

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Greg thats the great part of that style of fishing, theres always something different to surprise ya. Wasnt really expecting a jack, but there a good fight!
    Mark- without giving my spot away i stay in less then 95 meters, in that depth i could still get down with a ten ball drifting but ya only get one drop each drift.
    The key to finding them is a lot of patients and searching mate.

Nice fish foxy, i'd be keeping those spots to yourself or you'll have all the boys trying to make there way out there. That would be one of the biggest jacks i've ever seen. Top fish mate.

Luke