Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds,snapper,pearlies and jacks

Re: Reds,snapper,pearlies and jacks

Spiro there only getting bigger the longer i leave them alone

Mark- youve got the job of keeping a regular flow of reds appearing on ausfish from now to chrissy, now dont let reefmaster and me down mate!!!!

Tony- that would be every estuary fishermans dream to land one that size up a creek, sounds like a good excuse to keep trying, have you caught them off 1770 on the reefs mate?...foxy

Foxy
    I've never caught one on the reefs around here, but I have seen a couple come in.
    Yet to see one that big around here though. Do they fight as well as an estuary jack in proportion to size? and how well do they taste in comparison.
    There was one caught in baffle creek a couple of years ago, that went 8kg

# # # # # # Regards, Tony

Great catch Foxy .... just wanted to see my avitar actually mate!

Herby

No problems Foxy # ........ just PM me the GPS marks #

Tony- The jack did fight hard, constant runs for the bottom, it had me baffled what it was. As for taste i'll have to let you know, i gave it to a mate thats a chef so i guess he'll make a fancy dish out of it, probably even a soup with the head and frame...

Mark- good come back mate!! im a bit suprised none of ya have been getting legal reds at the banks, i caught three one afternoon on the eastern drop off in june the largest was 65cm. Have you been getting any at all on the last few trips? ...foxy

Been getting plenty of undersized ones lately ???

Last trip out there I threw back two that were 53cm .... made me cry ....... Both times I though they would have made it no worries when they hit the surface

I'll just have to lift my game

Cheers,

Mark

Ahhh Reds
    Foxy i think if people just thought outside the square they may find a few
    Hard work and plenty of time required for those good grounds.
    Dave i reckon the new Year will bring plenty of Reds mate. would also like a few of those big jacks with them
    Cheers Greg

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

simon

foxy or greg or whoever

i'm staying at noosa over xmas newyear and taking my boat.
    does the area north of north reef have any good ground or should i just go to the northern end of the banks - any tips would be appreciated.

thanks

simon

Simon- theres plenty of good fishing in the area your refering too, a mate of mine caught 5 large snapper in close only two weeks ago, the best going over the majic 10kg mark. But these blokes are seriously keen advanced anglers.Those areas off noosa produce a large array of fish including some nice trout.At this time of year most blokes give up on the bottom bashing and chase the razor gangs, mainly due to the strong southerly currents we encounter and windy weather. Id try the banks mate over christmas, but chancers are that floating live and dead baits off the closer reefs might be just as good without the long run. ps last sunday 3 mates of mine bagged out on snapper at wide c the best fish went 7.2 kg and several others over 6 so there out there...foxy

Foxy, what type n size hooks you use for your pearlies??
    Cheers

Pete i use 7/0 7766 ganged or on the winches (hardly ever use) mustard circle hooks in 11-16/0. Dad normally fishes a paternoster rig which out performs my set up on pearlies, in country with big fish he uses a single set up to avoid bust offs and uses 7/0 big reds...

Foxy ive been using the gamakatsu black 10/0 for both reds n pearlies..Which are the 7766??, Mustards??..
    Have been advised and tried reversing two single 7/0 mustards for pearlies but not a 100% sure they dont hook up better??.Supposed to keep the mouth shut , prevent losses..
    Go steady bringin em up i think is still the best way..
    Cheers

yeh pete there mustards mate, Theres a lot of good hooks around and i supose we all have our favourites. I found the 6/0 are a bit week on the larger fish and 7/0 very rarely fail. I think most people loes pearlies when there pumping and winding, not keeping a even constant strain on the fish. To stiff a rod also doesnt help. Never used a reversed hook before! This year is the first time ive had blokes on the boat winge about the number of pearlies there catching, sad but true, maybe in years to come we'll be sorry we thought that way because they truely are a great fish...foxy

Lucky for me ... I was one of those guys

It was only due to the reds that looked like they were holding up under the schools of massive pearlies...

Whinge about losing Pearlies??, hold on n i'll have a cry for ya Lol..Too true foxy , a very nice fish n sometimes wander which brightens up the icebox more ?? A Good pearlie or a Good Red.....
    Somehow have a feelin maybe shouldna said that last bit lol..
    Cheers