Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aplins weir barra action

Aplins weir barra action

Hi people,

Had a few run ins with barra in the lead up to the last full moon. Unfortunately the only fish I hooked (besides tilapia) escaped while freinds David and Kiel came up with some decent specimens. Enjoy

Photo 1: Kiel's 85cm barra

Re: Aplins weir barra action

WOW! That's one hell of a tilapia!

So the barra have started hey. Will have to get down there for a fish sometime soon!

Southwind SF20 'Piscatoreous'
    Savage 14ft tinny "About Time'

Yeah they definitely have started mate, I reckon last wednesday night would have gone off but I decided to play basketball all day at the strand and bung my big toe . Don't know when I will be out there next , uni schedule isn't helping either >. probably sometime next week. I think we have had one successful trip out of five. Although I can't really call any of them a success because I'm yet to get a decent barra since it has warmed up .

Photo 4: Release of Davids barra

Good to see the quality catches. Must have been live baiting to get a tilapia? This might sound like a strange question, but did you eat the tilapia? I ate one last year when I was in Indonesia and it cooked up surprisingly well - I suppose most fish come up OK when deep fried.

Hi Leo,

I got the tilapia while cast netting for mullet, I've caught them on lure before so I don't see why they wouldn't take a live bait. I'm pretty sure there are plenty up in the fresh (where we were fishing) because I've seen people feeding them bread. If we catch a tilapia we usually leave it to rot on the bank. I'm sure they are good eating as they are one of the main aquaculture species in South East Asia. Maybe I should have fried it up? maybe next time.

Nice fish there BB
    Hope you manage to get amongst them yourself next time, stop being so considerate of others mate! lol

Herby

fished loam island boat ramp last night between 6 and 8 pm managed 1 barra around 85cm and lost 2 more live baits to a couple more. Frustating fishing the boat ramp however as every man and his dog is using it to launch there ski boats as pioneer park ramp is closed at present........

is this in Ross River? Loam Island...hmm doesn't ring a bell

Upper Ross River road (headin to Condon etc).

You normally fish the weirs on a full moon? Keen to have a shot soon!

Dan
    Southwind SF20 'Piscatoreous'
    Savage 14ft tinny "About Time'

Yeah I find full moon is best for both livies and lures . I think the next one is on the 28th October, still 2 weeks away but if you have the time I'd recommend heading down there earlier. This time last year the action at Aplins was pretty good. However, its been relatively quiet lately with only one capture rumoured to be 123cm near Nathan St bridge. Last week I was thinking that the fishing would be excellent with promising afternoon cloud cover on a couple of days (e.g. Saturday arvo especially ) but I never heard of a single barra being caught .

how do you catch livies in fresh water?