Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hutchies delivered (24/5)

Hutchies delivered (24/5)

Team members,

I was lucky enough to be invited by a master to experience his "special" snapper technique in preparation for the later season. It was to be a chance to witness greatness at its highest power - the epitomy of a man showing his dominance over the piscatorial foe.

That's a bit of bullshit really - Brooksy invited me fishing

We've been planning a trip for a while and the weather basically dictated the date/time.

We left from Bribie at around 2:30 in Brooksy's Yaltacraft for a smooth bay enroute to Hutchies. A quick stop at the beacons yielded no livies but Western Rocks never failed to produce, as we secured slimies, yakka and small trevally.

Our plan was to target snapper in the shallower ground and the pearlies in the deeper stuff later on in the night. The sounder was alive at Hutchies but so was the current.

The burley trail was set and Brooksy started to impart his secrets. True to form he lands a 6kg specimum in the first 15 mins and boats another about 10 mins later. He then loses another good fish and I'm yet to have a strike.

Undeterred I tell him to stick his technique up his arse and revert back to my old faithful rig of a squid and livey near the bottom which resulted in two 2-3kg fish in pretty quick succession.

Problem was, Brooksy was matching me on the other side of the boat. After at least getting on the board I succombed again to try his technique and felt the surging run of a big snapper for the first time. I managed to lose that one and the next two which prompted Lucky Phil to call us on the radio because I think he heard my expletives from Caloundra Wide. He was fishing solo and checking secret marks

After a bit more guidance and encouragement from the ever faithful Brooksy I finally managed to land my first fish using the "secret technique" which prompted me to put away the old faithful rig and concentrate on the one rod for the rest of the night. I was delighted to land the next few although the size had dropped since Brooksy's earlier efforts. He did however, surprise both he and I when he boated a yellowtail tuna. I think it was lost or delusional.

With our bag limit reached we headed wider to the 75-80m range to find massive shows of fish. An hour of trying brought nothing into the boat so we gave up on the pearlie chase to head back in close and look for other species.

A few moves and varied fishing landed a couple of cod, some undersize reds and bits and pieces. The highlight of the night was being able to release 3kg odd snapper. I don't think I've ever thrown these back before in my fishing experiences. It's certainly something.

Pulled the pin at about 11:00pm after touching base with Phil again. He had headed in closer after producing a few on the wider grounds. I slept a bit on the way home with the Bay as glassy as I've ever seen (except for the massive air Brooksy got over the banks off Bribie - I know you thought you were funny >)

It was agreat trip where I learnt a lot so thanks mate. The snapper had better be wary this winter.

I think the highlight of the night was definitely the "lucky catch". I hooked a fish and was bringing it in when it swam through Brooksy's line. He thought he had a run and struck hard and started to bring the fish in. My line went limp but he kept bringing his in. I got in first to find my leader marked, jagged and broken above the hooks. He brings in his 2-3kg snapper with one of his gang hooks looped through one of my gang hooks which is connectd to the fishes mouth. ???

What a way to finish.

I forgot the camera but he's one taken on my phone just as the sun was going down. Brooksy has another photo taken back at home at the end of the night.

Bugman

Re: Hutchies delivered (24/5)

Bring on the Knobbies !

great report bugman!!. awsome fish guys. well done

A very healthy looking fish. Now all we need to know it the 'secret method' . Be nice Bugman .
    Cheers, Jay

DaneCross

Awesome stuff Bugman and Brooksy. Some quality fish there, and to be throwing back 3kg specimens.... well Sounds like you struck gold with the conditions & results [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Brooksy, you might have to share this super special technique (although I think I may have a pretty good idea as to what it is ). Be good to see your pic as well
    Dane

The boot is on the other foot now....... "BASTARDS" !!!

Top catch fellows.

C & R of 3kg fish, even the plastics boys would be wide eyed at that one , thems the rules I guess 8)

Rumour has it that a second expedition was being mounted tonight ?? It must have been hot Fishing to plan a trip on Origin night !!!

Gee Steve, Friday and Saturday look o.k for a run to Hutchies

Cheers
    Craigie.

I think it is going to be a ripper season like you we had to release good fish (see report Tempest 22-5-05) I wonder if the large reduction in snapper traps down south is finally having a positive effect on there numbers up this way.Also if these apparent good numbers offshore will translate into the bay? Here's hoping.
    Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Nice fish Bugman, i thought the conditions would be great. looks like a good season coming up, hopefully the weather might hold for this weekend for a chance to head wide.
    Luke

wow nice job when we ment there we got a heap to but not snapper eels yep pulled up at leased 10 of them. but no cigar

Yes, Brett and Brooksy, nice work.

The current up my way was slow, with me reaching the bottom feeders with a 7 or 5 ball. I tell ya, anchoring in the dark in 75mtrs of water by yerself, is NOT fun, especially when you are trying to drop on a spot ( Yes I found it again ), that is no more than 15mtrs across and 10 meters wide. No, I didn't get it first time, took 3 go's.

I had not been feeling the best all day, but could not ignore the weather pattern. After puting the target fish in the esky, I moved ( as Brett said ) in closer. The wind was a S/W and only 10 knots or so, but still, against the swell made it a bit rocky. SO, I slept for most of the night, and ended up making my own berley in the morning.

In closer I went, and Spotties were on the menu.

Decided to head home, not feeling the best yet, and trolled the special lures. Unbelieveable, a 3kg snapper in 50ft of water and the lure is a 12ft diver ?

All in all, a very good feed put together, new area / spot sounded and recored.

Thanks to Coast Guard Mooloolaba, for keeping in touch, as they are now on 24hr watch.

OH, another thing about going alone, the drive on / drive off trailer boat thing is a challenge

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

ohhh GREAT report Bugman. That's what we wanna hear - the snappa are well and truely on the chew. Good work fellas.

Bret i still question your work ethic's ??? Sounded like a good night out very nice fish. I have wheels now so seen your boat appears not to be back yet i will be up for a fish soon.
    Michael

That first paragraph would be the biggest load of bullshit I have read yet No guessing who the journalist on the site was

But honestly it was a good trip with good company and whilst conditions for the secret technique weren't good a few fish managed to hit the deck. The only thing missing was the spangled emperor which are usually thick at this time of year.

Phil I was wondering how you would go getting the boat back on the trailer solo. I've been contemplating how I would go with mine. Now mate what was the target fish mate?

Steve

with reguards to the solo drive on and off stuff its easy with the small boats like mine but the big buggers like yours i've seen a guy that had a heavy loop welded to his winch post and he had a short rope with a hook on it and he'd drive on leave the motor pushing in gear walk up front hook the short rope on back off the throttle,
    then just winch the last foot or so left.
    ive used the same method on windy rough days when haveing trouble by myself.
    Cloud 9
    then it realy gets ughly

try again with the photo