Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: cabbage tree ck mystery brutes!

Re: cabbage tree ck mystery brutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Billo
    [quote author=DICER link=1128836673/0#14 date=1128903642]cod with bite marks on a 10cm biddy that pulls hard? right!
    FYI , i have pulled cod from cabbage tree creek previously using 10-15cm potty mullet and siler biddies....

Don't criticise other peoples comments mate, especially if YOU are none the wiser ......after all , i am talking from experience with cod AND these waterways....and i have had plenty of experience cod fishing in tight waters...
    .. ...so what experience have you had with estuary cod in tight muddy creeks that you could discount my thoughts ??
    [/quote]

perhaps glasshouse mountain creek and a 5.54 kg cod. That's not the only one though. But can't say I'm a wise cod guy

Gday kev,
    Your bloody dedset right about those rays going off as soon as they know that they were hooked .When we were staying at Yamba we used to go down to the fish cleaning bench at night and watch the rays at high tide come up under the light then we would throw out some gang hooks baited with a full squid and connected to some whipper snipper cord (which was the biggest we could find ).As soon as you threw out the bait the unsuspecting ray would cruise over and just sit on top of the bait.We would give it 10 seconds and then give it a tug.Mate you should have seen these things go #.as soon as it felt the pressure it took off and im talking jumping out of the water and skimming #along the surface only for every time this happened we got busted off.It was boody great fun and good for a laugh.

MIKOS

Bloody big mud crab

Morty ,maybe you don't realise it , you have just agreed with me !

You cannot generalise my statement ....i am speaking of specific fight style relative to the report made by chanqetas

i stated 'When i say more pull , i mean torque .....i agree a jack has a better and more erratic and fast fight , but no one can convince me a jack has more torque then a cod '

you said " Yes, what your saying about cod is true in regards to their 'Torque'

this statement was made in relation to a comment the angler was ' dragged '
    show me any jack found in a creek that will drag you across the ground ?

This is something indicative of large cod amongst other things.

I also stated that this is a possibility formed by comments in the report , but many defining characteristics can not be identified from a report alone , so added it to the possible list of contenders to the non retrieved beast !

And i never understated the fight of a mangrove jack , yes i have caught them ...up to 4 kg in canals at raby bay ......but i have been done in on cod in a second at the same spot i pulled this big jack .

I also believe there is a high likelyhood that kingtin could have the right money on with being a ray .

chanquetas

Well, I just got back from the Redcliffe shallows this morning where a very similar thing happened to me!!!!!
    There is a reef patch that had about 2m water over the top, I threw my 4" plastic in the middle and BANG. Now this thing didnt pull erratically, it didnt dive, it didnt shake its head, it just went at a moderate pace, (5 or 6 knots?) due north to the edge of the reef, then went around in a big arc, reefing line off me, then down, found a hole and sat there.
    So Im guessing this was a big Cod. Now although it wasnt erratic it pulled bloody HARD, but steady, and strong. This thing had torque to burn. Now I only had 6lb braid so I couldnt skulldrag it out, I was hoping to let it get tired but it was too fast into its hole.
    Eventually the hook bent and popped out of its mouth. WOW, what a blast!

Disappointing I didnt get to see it, but glad for the fun it gave me.

geez mate ,....your seriously getting some line wet aren't you !

the flats are not normally cod hang outs although they can move around a bit, they like burrows in mud walls and rocks and reef . i would lean more towards the idea of a ray if you were right up in shallows ...

i vote for a big pike eel

bidkev

Any "trembling" of the line, no matter how slight? This nearly always happens if a shovelly, ray. or sometimes even a noah turn away from you. The line has nowhere to go except, in the case of shovellies and rays, snagged between the crease where the wing meets body, or, in the case of a biggish noah, rubbed along the flank and "twanged" by tail motion. This is where the frayed line comes into the equation.

I noticed when I used to fish specifically for "flake" that when I lost a fish, it was invariably as the fish swam directly away from where it was hooked and that I had that trembling and the line was always frayed. I cut down on lost fish dramatically when I increased my wire trace to 3 metres. This of course is impractical when casting but used mainly when boat or l/b float fishing.

When the trembling is more pronounced, this, in nearly every case, results in an instant break off and is indicative of a shark doing a barrel roll and "running up" the line.

The whole area (shallows) from just north of woody point, right down to the Brizzy river is one hot bed of shovelly/ray/shark activity. The cleaner the water, the less likely you are to pull 'em. Surprisingly, the opposite is true further out in the bay. Hard up against Chain or Amity bank is thick with *gigantic* shovellies and rays and the cleaner the water, the more active they seem to be.

The only reason that most folk are plagued by small ones, is that the shovellies and rays like a big feed and not many folk fish size 10 or upward in the bay. This pic of a stingy is a "less than average" size when fishing big baits. The big ones you simply can't lift in to take a piccy.

kev

bidkev

These are the "blue spots" I talk about. Pue brute strength and even the look of them indicates "muscle", unlike the average sandy brown ones. You can see how easy it is to snag the line under the flap and for it to become frayed.

Just illustrating so that the next time, the indicators I have written of will help you identify what you've lost There's nothing pisses you off more than simply not seeing what you've lost > and wondering if it was something that was "romantic". Me? I'm not a romantic. I'll settle for *anything* once I wet a line

cheers

kev

did that sting ray have a barb there or what? your keen hangin on like that lol

chanquetas

Thanks Kev, all bloody good info mate, and good pics to back it up. A ray did cross my mind this morning, but there was absolutely NO trembles.

Kev, finally... hahah at Easter was fishing off the beach at Maroochydore in the hope of a tailor when snagged up, and boy did this thing take off. Id caught 1 shovelly of a similar length before but this one was atleast twice as thick and now that you mention it i reckon it did have white spots. But boy was it muscle... about 70 or 80 lb of it i reckon. Took me 45 mins to land, but most of that was dragging it in after the initial few hundred metre sprint. Thanks, i thought it was different to the type we usually catch.
    Cheers,
    Jackash

bosso

i got a 10kg shovelly in the boyne river on 6lb braid. it was 1.6 m long. would it have been a bluespot? it pulled bloody hard and made me swim to the other side of the creek cause it went around the corner. them sharks have som go in them hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Billo
    if you had a 3 kilo jack on one end of a line , and a 3 kilo cod at the other , the cod would tow the other ...they may not be fast , but they are BRUTES
    Im not agreeing with you, im disagreeing
    By me saying that i dont think a cod of 3 kilo can pull a jack of 3 kilo around........is that agreeing with you???? negative

By saying a cod has more torque than a jack... yes you are agreeing with him