Thread: Dohles Rocks and Cabbage tree creek.

land_based

Dohles Rocks and Cabbage tree creek.

Went down to the tackle store today around 12 and picked up some 4" berkly power minnows (smelt scale), decided i'll head down to dohles rocks for a crack. I waded from dohles rocks towards the hornibrook until i hit a little creek, almost direclty opposite the mouth of bald hils creek. after what seemed to be hundreds of perfect casts produced nothing.

I then moved to cabbage tree creek for the runout tide. Put a prawn out on a rig wile i threw my sp around, something smashed the prawn and took the whole rod into the water which had me stomach high in water chasing after it, luckilly got it just before another run, fought the fish for about 3-4 minutes and got it in revealed a catfish that would have went 4-5 kilo (forgot my camera > ). I also caught a threadfin salmon and several small diver whiting on bait. I was getting quite deterred as this was one of the first times ive gone all out trying to get a flattie on a sp and still had nothing and it was right on dusk. I casted right near an old rusty metal pole and began my regular slow retieve, this time i felt a hit but it felt like a toadie pulling on the line (small vibrations), I struck any way and felt large weight followed by a huge run, powerful and no sign of stopping. I applied what little pressure i could to stop the fish which resulted in the hook pulling. I bring the sp back in but it has no sign of teeth marks or frayed line at all. This puzzled me !!!! any ideas guys???

Re: Dohles Rocks and Cabbage tree creek.

mmm coulda been anything mate, thats one of the things that keep us coming back i reckon, i had the same thing happen to me at the gold coast 2 weeks ago except i held onto this fish for nearly 10 minutes, back and forth and finally he bit through my trace, the frustration is not so much losing the fish, i release alot, just wanted to see what the hell it was, so i tell myself it was a jack
    keep persisting mate and good luck...Carlos

Could have been another catfish. I was out off Woody Point this morning early, trying unsuccessfully to beat the northerly, and I caught four catfish that would have gone about 4 kg each. They put up a pretty good fight going hard and strong. It was easy to tell that I had another catfish rather than a ray because they fought up near the surface rather than hugging the bottom like the rays. If you miss a catfish you can sometimes tell that you had one by the mucus on your line. Also had a long fight with a big green turtle as well, thankfully the hooks pulled. For the record I finished up with 4 bream and 1 tarwhine. No legal squire, just one small one.
    Cheers #Freeeedom

mate sounds like what happened to me a few weeks ago too! go back to the post called 'cabbage tree brutes' , and you'll find all the possibilities suggested by everyone. great to see you got a threado in cabbage tree - thats awesome.

cheers,

cuzza

land_based

was within 50 metres of where you were fishing cuzza, i went down the next day and the same thing happened, this time closer to a snag but every time i bring the plastic back in there is no signs of teeth marks or anything really. This time it was a different run though, it was no thump, thump, just one screaming run for about 10-15 metres and then it just simpley dropped it. Maybe i should look into changing my jig heads....

gdau land based,

far out mate i hope you nail the bugger! still curious to find out what the hell it is, so go for it mate! bets are that kingtin was riight tho, but i still wanna know for sure. no pressure, lol! good luck mate.

cuzza

land_based

I'm going to head down one night next week, grab some livies, and hold on! I might try the softies at night as well, see if i have the same luck. I'll make sure i bring the digi as well so i can post pics!