Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beach Bliss

Re: Beach Bliss

D.I. in the background

Shut Up and Fish,

Grew up fishing with alveys and bait and it is very imprtant I think to use an alvey. So have caught a lot of different species but never a jew in the surf. Wasn't much into night fishing and especially now that am catching better quality fish than I ever have by spinning during the day. Have probably fished with a bait (flesh or worm/eugarie) less than 10 times in the last 10 years in the surf. Would attain as much variety of species as the bait but the average size per fish would be significantly larger with the spinner due to the size of the target species. Also mostly spin and use poppers elsewhere like Weipa and Whitsundays for the pelagics with good results on mackerel, tuna, GT's, goldens, queenies by the truck load, coral trout, black and yellowtail king, tarpon and even some jack. So do enjoy the visual aspect of surface lures and takes out the 'waiting for a bite' syndrome that bores me.Tend to be able to explore a lot of country with the spinner and create opportunities through less time in locations looking for fish and the advantages of long casting especially over reef structure. Also no more pilchards in the car fridge which was part of the shift away from bait when at Fraser where there are heaps of spinning locations. Keep thinking that I should be chasing oyster cracker with eugaries as used to have a fair amount of success there but just doesn't seem to happen. Bream simply aren't here like they used to be and jew have been scarce here since a massive haul by netters at the river mouth of mature fish in the early seventies. Speaking of nets and I might have to start another post, they will be on the beach very soon but I'm hopeful this will be the last year.

regarding nets - you and i both.......agree with bream....i remember my old boy, myself and my mate and his old boy(nissan) used to go up there and nail some monster bream around 1.5-2kg mark.........heard that they still get a few jew around the top end of the beach.......lot of worms in that area. do you just fish for a job?? wish i could do as much as that.......spent a bit of time up in cairns myself but never really into fishing as much as i am now........was too busy drinking and chasing........caught my fair share of barra, fingermark and jacks up there though.........funniest was a 65cm barra of kewarra beach on 13'6 surf and alvey.....mate laughed at me when i took it down........will definately look you up before i go up next time - again hopefully this weekend..........recently done a fair bit of live baiting down mouth and mainly on noosa side.....lost some big fish down there due to teeth....120lb leader straight through????? some good flathead to be caught down there on lures too.........

Hi Slider,

Mate, I reckon that's one of the best reports and performances I've seen on Ausfish, certainly from the beach.

Well done. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I'm definitely going to give the slugs a try in the surf with a TSS4.

Good luck,
    Mike

Good on ya Linds, as they say, their plenty of fish in the sea, and mate, you hit the jackpot again (as usual). I think me and Jus might have to make a special trip up there after you come back from 1770. Im sure we will receive heaps of pics from your fishing up there...

dave
    (captain of the SS Minnow)

Good to hear from you Dave. Lot easier getting pics in a boat too, so should have a few trout, reds, cobia etc photos to harrass you with. Hope your sleeping well mate cause I gather that may change soon.
    Good time to get out on the bay and escape hey Jus. Forgot to ask earlier - you guys heading to fraser in Aug/sep?

Linds

Linds,

We are heading up first week of September - do you think we should invite SSminow - he only managed to catch the fish in the nursery last year !!

We are looking to head up your way for a fish soon - am keen to trek up the coast over the next few weeks and see whats chewin.. Probably go up to the house at Caloundra this weekend and spin around kings or Moffat.

Jus

Hi SLider,

That reminds me too - i need to get hold of the footage from Weipa to show Dave - more incentive for hime to save some money..

It also looks like our trip to New Guinea has been moved back a week.... sure i can't twist your arm??

Jus

Its all about the one that got away isnt it mate, and im sure i got the biggest for the week, he he. Well it looks like their might be a wager on this years trip to fraser, Ive got a good feeling this year as long as that mongrel weed stays away. Then again, I did out drink all the boys, no wonder i had a poor catch rate, couldnt bloody stand most of the day,,, he he....Anyway we will see, hope you can meet us up there this year mate, i was looking forward to fishing out wide. Dam wind..

Dave
    Captain of the SS Minnow

Dave,

I think thats why you drank so much - because you lost the wager!!

Slider,

Do you still have pics of the coral trout from the Whitsundays when we were up there?

I have few people who still doubt it has been done and you know how much i like to prove people wrong !!!

Jus

Somebody has to drink all that rum although would like to think that I can lend a hand there.
    You might get some peace and quiet from these boys soon hey Deb with the trips being planned. And you can always cook for us while we're fishing when you come up to break the boredom. And pack the esky, make up slugs ............ Any other suggestions guys?

Slider,

Contemplating a trip down to northern NSW to fish the headlands next month - probably do a long weekend and pack the TSS4 and hopefully some new sluigs in the tackle box . Has been a few reprots of some rreasonable Tailor starting to show up.. it is also a good reason to get out of the house.. and no i am not inviting Deb to Fraser - its boys only on that week - i don't think she can handle the topless cook....

Jus

Speaking of rum,

From memory we took a bottle or 2 and went over to Wathumba - didn't we ??

Had a good perv - but the bloody weed prevented us from fishing !!!

Have you heard if the weed has returned yet - the old boy and the usual suspects were thinking of going up for the classic.. for some fun.

A couple of the boys are also taking up some boats - just have to ask the boos if she will give me a leave pass !!!

Jus

I'll find out whats happening with the house at Byron. There are tenants there at the moment but think they leave in a couple of weeks. Am eager to get back down there myself before it gets too cold.

Count me in if you want someone to fish with.. is it worth dragging the boat down ?

Jus