Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Whos got what

Justme

Re: Whos got what

I did 162000 km in 18 months my last Bravo turbo diesel without a whimper.
    Zoooom Zooooom

Suzy Grand Vitara V6
    Sports wagon/pack
    Bull bar Spotties Alloys etc

Kept it simple, as its actually the missus' car, and the first 4x4 we've had. Just great for scooting up the beach on Straddie and up Teewah .

Doesn't mind yanking the 17 ft Haines around, when required either.

Cheers,
    Tony 8)
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

SNELLY

Hey Bugman -

"I don't know why they don't go out and buy a Landrover off the shelf. Gets there in style with no added extras."

No added extra's - what about the water and dust ???

Snelly

Snelly,

So they leak a bit - I never said the seals were any good, only the mechanics

Kev, when I look under the bonnet of mine - I can't even see the motor - they put so many covers in there I'm sure they're trying to pursuade you from tinkering - plus I'd have no idea where to start. On the 3Y Hilux well that's another matter.

I've had two mechanical failures both caused by humans - Installation of a relay switch for the spotties saw me forget to do up the bolt for the EPA unit which eventually fell down around the torsion bar and got ripped off in the sand. - when fixing that the mechanic played with the turbo and forgot to do up the main arm properly which eventually fell off after two days. Other than that - hasn't put a foot wrong.

Phil - Not sure what your talking about - I had a look when I got home and sure enough the Landy's got a tow hook - looks a great one too.

WHAT IT DOESN'T HAVE IS A BLOODY PROTECTION BAR ANYMORE - How did that happen > > -

IF YOU'VE GOT A 4WD KEEP THE BLOODY THING IN 4WD.

I'm going now

Bugman

Just a couple of months ago I was camping on a stretch of beach when I saw tufts of diesel smoke rising in the air a couple of k's away. I jumped in my Landrover to see who was bogged and there was a 80 series cruiser bogged in the sand in a creek that cuts across the beach with a 100 series trying to snatch him out and a nissan patrol looking on. The bloke with the patrol said it was a waste of time as he has had a go and the cruiser couldn't move him either and that I would be wasting my time having a go with my Landy. I backed up and hooked the snatchem on and took up the slack and let it have it and out the cruiser came, no problems. I had skinny 16 inch tyres too and they all had 10r15s or similar on. Not one of them said a word except the bloke who was stuck, but my T-shirt said it all with 'it's never over in a Rover' on the back.

Big_Kev

Yeah yeah yeah.
    And I can remember being in New Guinea in 96 and the Landy lovers conned management into buying Landrovers instead of the trusted TOJO's saying it would cut costs.
    We got 5 to add to the fleet of about 40 TOJO's on site.
    The first one died in a matter of hours when the shock tower broke and the shocky punched a hole in the radiator bottle and cooked the Briggs and Stratton donk.
    Another one did the same not long after that.
    We quickly got the others in and strengthened the towers.
    Broken gearboxes,drivelines,broken chassis and blown engines, in the next few weeks.They just don't like to be punished.
    We fixed em up and they were given to management to try and make them last and were handed back after about a week and we were told to give em to the boys to kill em.
    They were subsequently scrapped and only saw a couple of months work.
    Oh well it was just back to what cost a bit more but worked the best, TOJO's.

Oh the gloves come off. Ah well theres nothing wrong with tojos that a bit of salt water wont fix

Yeah must say it's simply amazing the gear a 4WD just "has to have" these days .

Some simply aren't satisfied unless they've got the biggest, luggiest tyres with the heaviest set of chains and have this thing about rotary hoeing every wet boggy road they can find.

Rotary hoed roads are favourites of little landrovers with little tyres.

Cheers, Kerry.

Quote Originally Posted by landy1
    Oh the gloves come off. Ah well theres nothing wrong with tojos that a bit of salt water wont fix #
    If it was one problem with the first Toyota's it was trying to find that 4th gear, simply didn't have the guts to pull a skin of a rice pudding going down hill.

Now finding 4th gear and actually having a 4th gear, ah oo, then someone worked out that real 4WD's in those days actually had 4 gears .

Cheers, Kerry.

well where do i start,,im an early jeep freak,,have got 4 of them,,latest model would be my cj-6 that is about 1960..my main project over the last 10 years has been my '57 jeep truck,,the engineers report reads like a novel,,running 351 ford,,auto box,,swapped in transfer,,lifted around 12 inches,,33" muds,,only thing that hasnt been modified is the ahmmmm,,,,gee,,i forget,,lol...also have a '82 international scout terra,,she's waitin for the angle grinder ...
    paz

We always welcome freaks here, they're the nicest sort of people
    cheers
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by paz
    .... i forget,,lol...also have a '82 international scout terra ....
    Scouts? haven't heard that word in a long while, now they were interesting, especially the older Scouts, rough as gu..

Another thing one doesn't see much of these days is the 4WD Falcon Ute, why? well that's easy to understand.

Another, one doesn't see much of these days is the Gladiator, gee can't even remember who made them! Jeep?

Cheers, Kerry.

People forget that if it wasn't for rover they wouldn't have a lot of what they have in a fourby today. Coil springs, constant four wheel drive, hill descent control and probably heaps of other things they started. There is a little bit of land rover in all four wheel drives.

03 silver pajero
    big wheels and tyres
    bull bar, towbar, side steps
    roof racks(for the mother in law)

2nd pajero 4th 4wd

well the early "falcon overlander" run pretty much a jeep drive train,,all dana spicer,,and there wasnt many built,,the gladiator,,well she is all jeep,,from the kaiser era....
    im pretty sure that there is a lot of jeep in all 4by's these days as well,,and to get picky,,,a lot more "bantam" than any other breed....
    paz