Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Flamin Riptide at Fraser Island Fishing Expo

Flamin Riptide at Fraser Island Fishing Expo

What a fantastic event and adventure...after months of research, planning and developing an attack strategy, Johnny Bellas (who I will refer to as JB - not Ausfish JB) Dave Fox (Foxy), Jason Bird (Birdy) and I readied ourselves #for the 23rd Toyota Fraser Island Fishing expo.

JB and I left with a convoy of Riptides to meet Sempre and Brown Dog at Caboolture BP around 12.30. #We traveled on to Gympie Matilda and after fueling up headed off with Sempre leaving the other Riptides to wait for another who was joining them there.

We picked up an early Barge, negotiated Hook point without too much difficulty and were soon on our way to Indian head. #I inadvertently picked up a crab pot which lodged itself under the boat trailer acting like a sea anchor which stressed things up a bit. #I didn't know it was there until daylight and both engine temp and Auto Trans temp warnings came on 5 k south of Indian. #We'd obviously dragged it all the way up the beach!!!! Bugger!!! #When we removed it we moseyed on slowly hoping things would cool down before the infamous Indian Head Blow. #Thankfully everything normalised so we hooked up the Patrol and Flamin' Riptide to JB's 100 series Cruiser and prepared for the task of negotiating a nasty pinch to up and over Indian head. #I had heard from Anyweather that the blow wasn't too bad this year because rain had hardened it up, it didn't look too bad so Sempre lead the charge on the northern approach and got through no problems, another boat behind a troopy pulled through O.K. Then we had a go...no problems. In fact I was really impressed with the way the rig went not really needing the snatch. Yew beaudy!!! We're really on our way now.

We dropped the boat off at Waddy and headed up the beach looking for a mate of JB's who had saved a camping spot for us at Ocean Lake. #

After setting up camp we relaxed with a few well earned malt sandwiches and takin it easy getting to know our new neighbors. #The wind began whistling and I wondered if the weather was going to be cruel or kind this year.

We were expecting Foxy to join us on Thursday so in the morning while JB went for a fish and pulled a couple of dart for a chew, I went for a bit of a reccy to orientate myself to the area, Waddy gutter where we would launch, the comp site and catch up with the other Riptide crews.

Foxy and Reef Master traveled up together exchanging notes, so I arranged to connect with Foxy at Reef Master's camp. #The wind was still up and the word was it wasn't gonna get much better so we began thinking through some options which saw us all on the beach trying to catch tea!!! #With all the beach traffic the fish were shy so we tucked into a favorite dish my wife prepared for us in the event of such an occasion.

Friday morning the wind had back off a little so we thought we'd give it a go. Foxy had a couple of starter regions to begin with so we launched, out through the gutter in a meter or more of swell and began the slog to our first area. We rounded Indian Head to find the the wind was whistling 20-25 knots and the sea was a real washing machine on the top of a decent swell, but we punched out with amazing aplomb, man this Riptide is a well built good riding craft.

We tried three areas pulling an amazingly diverse bag including very solid Grassies, Red Throat, Maori cod, Gold Spot Wrasse, Venus Tusk and one nice Red Emperor around 8kg Foxy added to the box. so our campain had begun. #Saturday we went out in similar conditions to work some ground a little wider for a similar result. With the weather on the improve on Sunday we continued the orientation to the area and decided to slog it out to the shelf to explore and fish some regions a little wider before the comp opening

The lads pulled a nice mixed bag again. I got smashed by a good Red, but I must admit my confidence was a bit low as I have been blown off by some good fish lately, but we returned to Waddy just after lunch.

Birdy was due to join us Sunday after the Sanctuary Cove boat show, but due to circumstances out of everyone's control he was unable to make it…bummer....next year Jase

We compared notes with a few other crews, the current was really ripping wide and to the North so we decided we'd hit out to the South Monday.

We headed down to our selected area, passing a couple of crews making hard going of the slop on the way out. Foxy sounded the area, worked out our drift, and very quickly we are boating good solid fish...Red, Scarlet when over the horizon a couple of crews came over to muscle in on our drift. #It never ceases to amaze me with all the expanse of sea and good reef out there that people have to fish in your hip pocket. Its O.K. if its a previously arranged thing but these blokes had no idea. #Foxy went up and gave them a spray...so we anchored on the rock we were drifting. #The two other boats had to drift around us and soon got sick of seeing the lads boat Red fish while they are catching grinner...

JB and Foxy are fishing well, and I've got the pink shoes on!!! #Can't take a trick or boat a fish...man I was getting pretty frustrated so I decided to take a lesson from the Foxmiester and changed up my rig to an 8-10 metre 80lb leader to a 10 ball and 7/0 treble. #I finally started to boat a couple of fish. #We found a patch of Red and Scarlets (large mouth Nannygai) and ended up with a half box of very nice Red fish (see Nuggets thread for the pic foxy posted there). We boated a nice cobe of around 12kg, I pulled my first Red of around 5kg, boated a nice Gold Spot Cod to around 20 kg plus and finally I'm starting to relax just a little.

Tuesday saw us up and at it very early...the weather report was good, but with 30kt winds forecast that this would probably be our last fishing day. #We headed out to the south again, found the ground we had fished the previous day and into it.

We dropped our first baits and we were all all loaded up and into good fish...Cobia and good solid ones at that 12-20kg versions...we struggled to get past them...we boated 18 Cobe that day but only kept 2 and the second one was unlucky - the result of a crook gaff shot.

JB boated a very nice Scarlet of 23lbs, but it did have maggots on it by the time he got it up it took him that long!!! #I'm starting to boat a few Reds, Foxy has got himself smoked by a snodger but has pulled a nice and consistent bag of Red and Scarlet.

I got a bit cocky and decided to give the rovex/penn combo a gallop...pulled a nice red and scarlet, but then got absolutely hammered and smoked on the 15kg so put it away.

We had arranged for a couple of the other Riptide crews to join us on that ground and everyone got a few good fish that day.

When we headed in and cleaned the fish we've nearly got a Freezer full of fillets, well within our bag limits. We pulled around 300kg of fish that day...which was to be our best day

Wednesdays forecast changed...10-15kts, but we've decided to call a lay day and prepare for the state of origin event at the Comp site that night. #Damn shame Queensland didn't quite get there but the signs are good for Origin two and a Maroon victory!!! And I've fluked into the draw for the Hilux...what a blast!!!!

With our freezer nearly full we decided to try for a trophy. Thursday we headed out to the Southern Ground again, met Reef Master and crew on "No Name" and Jason Comino and the lads on "Harden Up" down there...we're into Cobia and Scarlet again so decide to head wider. #We came across another good show which we drifted...Foxy pulled a nice Snapper to 4 kg (I'm suprised by the lack of big snapper in the waters up there...very few caught for the week, but the winning fish was a goodun at 9.9kg) and I've boated a good Venus

We headed out to the shelf again in good conditions to have a crack at the deeper water...Greg found a good show at 105 metres and starts to pull nice pearlies to 5kg on the deck winches on "No Name" #We had a pretty lean time of it out there and decided to call it at 2.30 with a nice sample of snapper, red emperor, scarlet and a good venus of 2.6 kg

Friday we set about breaking camp and readying ourselves for the Run home.

I didn't win the Hilux, but picked up a nice BLA jacket in the draw which was a bit of alright.

All up we had a brilliant time....It was great to be up there with a great crew and fantastic mob of blokes. # The banter was never too far away...not a crossed word all week and each of us contributing our own expertise to make for a very successful week. #Met heaps of Ausfishers at the bar for the evening program. There are heaps of other stories to be told, and I'm sure they will be told, but this report is long enough as it is!!!

Results that I remember

Red 13.2kg Regan Revell off Sempre's boat
    Red Throat #5.5kg
    Spanish/Wahoo 22.2kg
    Venus # 4.9kg
    Joby # 14.8kg
    Snapper #9.9kg

A few Thank you's before I finish

Foxy, you kept us in good fish all week. #We may not have taken the trophy but we certainly held our own against the best of the comp with consistent catches of good quality fish. #It was fantastic to learn how to break in a new area. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us and taking us novices to another level!

JB, the memory of you wrestling that Scarlet to the boat will be a lasting one. #Sincerely appreciate your servant heart mate...nothing was ever too much trouble

Nugget, thanks for taking time out early in the comp to help us with that trim tab problem.

The Riptide mob...great to be up there in one of the best built boats around

Shano Boese from Water Tower Bait and Tackle...thanks to you and your crew for reserving our spot and helping us set up, your friendship and comaradery made the trip for us...Rovex Rules!!!!

To those who organized and set up the event and particularly the sponsors Toyota, XXXX, Club Marine and many many others...Thank you...may it continue for many years to come

Cheers
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Re: Flamin Riptide at Fraser Classic

pic1
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Thanks Ryhs, ive goto run so heres the pics.

pic3
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

another

pic4
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

more

again

Great Pics Foxy!!!!
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

i leave in 15 minutes so heres a few more

what a hoot rhys , book my seat 4 next year mate . great report great piccies
    cheers swano

another

more

johns best one

my best red, thanks again fellas, talk to ya when i get back from moreton....foxy