Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crab pot run over by boofhead

Re: Crab pot run over by boofhead

Question:So what do you suggest I do. #I'm trolling a river and snag on crab pot, set illegally without a float. #By the time I get it in the boat and get my hooks untangled I have no way of finding the spot where the unlawful fisher set it. #Currents can take you 100 metres from the spot, but even 10 metres is far enough for the pot not to be found again. #

Do I just throw it back in and hope that it doesn't turn in to a self baiting fish and crab killer? #When I snag up, should I just cut my line and lose a $20 lure so you will be able to find your illegally set pot? #Do I keep the pot to be disposed of later, or if it has ID on it, which is bloody rare, do I ring the Fisheries hotline and report the owner for illegal fishing activities. #

It's all pretty bloody simple. #Use some common sense and don't set pots in narrow main channels and mark them as the law states. #Hang around in sight of your pots and have a fish. #

You are only permitted 4 pots anyway, so how far apart do you need to spread them? #

There will always be the thieving low lives around who will steal pots, just don't kill fish and crabs by dropping unmarked pots to avoid the thieves.

Dale,(aussiebasser)

I just can't have u accusing me of these things without a response.

Ahem.......

The first thing that you're doing wrong is bringing the pot into your boat - That is breaking the law. What should you do? - I suppose just unhook your lure from the pot or rope where u are and drop the 'offending' pot back down.

The second thing (based upon your use of the words 'you' and 'your') is you're assuming that I set un-floated pots - I don't.

The third thing wrong is that you're stating that any un-floated (you use the term unmarked) pot is illegally set. Pots are only required to have a float 'if not fixed to something' (quote from DPI website)

The fourth thing is that you should try cheaper lures

The fifth point. I don't usually hang around in the same area as my pots. Its a good area for crabbing, but I haven't had much success there with fish.

The sixth point. 4 pots, per person over 15 years of age.
    I don't fish alone. So how far apart do I need to spread them? About 10 Metres.
    Possibly 120 Metres of pots if 3 people over the age of 15 in boat, each with 4 pots. Of course, not in channels.

The seventh point: I do agree with one thing you said - 'There will always be the thieving low lives around who will steal pots'

The eighth point: By all means call the Fisheries hotline and let them know of the pots that you have found and confiscated.
    They would be very interested to hear of your fine efforts. #

If you have a look at an earlier post in this thread, you can see a cut and paste job directly from the DPI website on pots without floats.

Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner. When not fixed to something they must have attached a light coloured surface float, not less than 15 cm in any dimension, with the name of the owner clearly inscribed on it. As someone earlier suggested - One pot 'fixed' to another with rope. #If one wanted to be safe - one could use the definition used for 'fixed' when used in the freshwater context:

If the trap is not fixed to something stationary above the water level while being used, it
    must have a light coloured float attached. The float must feature the owner’s first name and surname and be at least 15 cm in each of its dimensions. A two- or three-litre milk container may be used as a float. A set line must be attached to a stationary object such as a branch, wooden stake or boat.

According to the following excerpt from a post by 'thesimmos' , you are not allowed to 'interfere'.

Just some clarfication on a post I made earlier regarding being able to remove un-named or crab pots that appear abandoned.

DPI response below:

You are correct in saying that crab pots/dillys etc are required to display the owners name and address. #Fisheries Inspectors are able to hand out Infringement Notices (On the Spot Fines) to persons caught not marking their crab pots in the required way. #The penalty for this offence is $150.
    #
    However, members of the public are not permitted to unlawfully interfere with fishing apparatus (Commercial or Recreational).

This means that unless you were responsible for setting the crab pot/dilly etc, you are not permitted to touch, move, remove or interfere with that apparatus in any way. #This includes the remaoval of fisheries resources from the apparatus. #

This still applies if it is apparent that the apparauts has been in the water for some time and appears to be 'abandoned'. #

A person caught unlawfully interfering with fishing apparatus (be that commercial or recreational fishing apparatus) can and more than likely would be issued with a Fisheries Infringement Notice. #The penalty for this is $225.
    #
    Only Authorised Officers, namely Fisheries Inspectors, appointed under the Fisheries Act 1994 are legally permitted to inspect fishing apparatus, and subsequently remove the apparatus from the water if an offence has been detected.

P.S - Just having a bit of fun.
    Tennis Anyone???? #

not nice

Tut tut crab pot theives.. Is this guy fishing for fish or crab pots??

Simmo

the answer here guys/gals lies in a response that ""the simmos"" posted in general chat and was in a reply after a mod locked his original thread with the final comment to research his question with the relevant authorities and advise

his response lies at the bottom (currently) on page 3 of general,,,

his original query though prompted me to contact dpi & f direct,,, there answer was posted in simmos response along with the views of the qld water police,,,

for those of you who missed it,,, its worth a read,,

sort of like the answer to a cryptic crossword query,,, its there,,, but look outside the square
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE