Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ways to prevent theft of crab pots

Re: Ways to prevent theft of crab pots

mate,
    sorry i meant the fisheries.if you have his number/rego/description of the boat pm me and ill give them a call myself as i no a couple of them.had an interesting one today. went to pick up a pot.curse it the float was cut off. went back at low tide and the rope had been chewed off and a hole chewed out of the pot and heaps of little footprints round the pot and the bait had been chewd and spread out round the pot. One of the pros reckons it might have been a water rat.

NO FLOATS I take 2-3 pots and tie them together with about 4 - 5 m of line between each of them , at the centre of each line i put a small sinker to hold the lines down, as I drop the first pot (into around 1.5 depth min ) I mark it on the GPS and on the last pot aswell ( it is leagal as long as your name and info in pots and it is tied to something which is the other pots), when I get close enough to get them I tie on a reef anchor to the back of the boat and idle through, when the boat slows a litlle grab the line and pull up the pots, takes a few passes sometimes and sometimes a lot of swearing but at the end i always find them no matter what it takes, I've never lost or had one knocked off since.
    Last edited by dreemon; 27-04-2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added the depth part

My withces hats are out and even though i am within a distance to see boats going near them it does not stop them being checked by others. Last christmas eve i was out and had traps in, went for a run over the other side of tuggerah lake for a fish, came back 4 hrs later to discover only 5 floats instead of 10 on the surface, lifted the first trap and another float was under it. Each trap was over the next traps float. Net had been cut in spots to take crabs out, all other traps had crabs cut out of the netting, didnt make for a good christmas day with no crabs, this has happened on a regualr occassion so i have a few dummy traps, a brick with barb wire wound through the rope to a dummy float, no more stolen crabs so it has stopped the thieves.

Some of the old salts in Lancelin WA used to attached razor wire or razor blades - whatever they had handy at the time.

They would layer it from about 1 metre under water for about 2 metres, so any would-be thieves wouldn't see until it was waaaaayyy too late.

Ouch !!

Quote Originally Posted by trilogy View Post
    What I now do is tie a few 1/0 size bronze trebles on the pot line,I used to use old bait jigs , but not as much fun. Sometimes I just tie a rock on the end of the rope and a 2ltr milk bottle with no pot at all just to let them know the error of there ways.
    I have had a gut full of the theives and I dont have a problem if they spend a bit of time at hospital.
    Hi Trilogy there is a court case happening at present where a bloke set a trap to catch a pervert looking through the families bedroom windows.. he put a board with a few nails pointing up... a local ratbag stood on the nails and rang the cops from the hospital.. the board constitutes a man trap which is illegal.. the perv is waiting for the criminal charges to happen before a civil suit is put on...
    what you are doing with hooks on your rope is a mantrap.. so some thieving scum may get nailed and you could be the poor bugger paying him damages or worse a jail sentance... I think there should be open season on thieves but unfortunately the law seems at times to be on their side

SL
    Last edited by ifishcq1; 25-05-2008 at 12:55 PM.
    IFISHCQ2

That's right ... you have to make it look like they were tangled onto there by accident ... you know ... a big mess, like in my tackle bags at the end of every fishing season.

"Why would I do that officer? Then I wouldn't be able to get my nets/pots out of the water!!"

Thumbs up Re: Ways to prevent theft of crab pots

Smeghead
    IFISHCQ2

We know a lot of the local professional crab fisherman, in fact my uncle is, he is based at weipa at the top qld, he pulls 350 crabs a week on average. the only people up there that steal pots are crocs, finding those hard orange plastics balls bitten in half. lol

anyho a fella we know by the name of kenny a local potter at jacobs well had 9 of his pots lifted last wednesday, the funny thing is that he must of had crabs in there for the zip ties to be cut off the doors. kind of sad because there people pay to have their licence and then struggle to make a living because some poor bstard cant be bothered setting their own pots.

My father and i come up with a solution to stop these thieves and went to the local hunting shop and purchased a camoflaged camera the size of a cigarette box. We hid it in a log with a tiny hole and totally undectable. unless you know where it is of course. then only to set a pot with pleanty of bait to last a few days. zip tied the doors. The camera then scences movement and bang busted!@ lol we got 3 different people in four days. The first person lifted it twice in a matter of 2 hours. what an idiot. lol the second guy was also a pro crabber, and we busted him big time with a clear shot of his license num on side of boat and him lifting the pot, cutting tag and taking crabs.

Worked perfect, sent to queensland fisheries, and his license was revoked.

A little message to people who want to lift pots. there is always someone watching.

Ryan
    Last edited by Young Gun; 08-06-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
    My father and i come up with a solution to stop these thieves and went to the local hunting shop and purchased a camoflaged camera the size of a cigarette box. We hid it in a log with a tiny hole and totally undectable. unless you know where it is of course. then only to set a pot with pleanty of bait to last a few days. zip tied the doors. The camera then scences movement and bang busted!@ lol .................
    Ryan
    Ryan
    That is awesome - can you please provide more detail of the camera device - brand,model, apprx cost, where to buy etc
    Mal

Hi Mal,

Yeh No Worries. i will get onto it for you, will post back soon with details.

P.s. the camera was pretty expensive, but maybe you can get a cheaper one? i dont know but i will find out

Ryan

G'day

Also interested in the camera

Dave

yeh i just found out where he got it from, a place called ozspy www.ozspy.com.au. they have a fair few shops around. he said the camera was nearly 900 bucks, lol gob smacked. idiot lol. but hey its worth the money in crabs. but there is some cheaper ones but they dont capture at a distance needed. he said you can lend the camera if you like. it has a rechargeable battery and a sd 512 sd card it last for like a week or so cause it only captures a pic when the sensor goes off.

i checked the website but i couldnt find the camera we got, but some similar ones, check it out and let me know.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
    they have a fair few shops around. he said the camera was nearly 900 bucks, lol gob smacked. idiot lol.

Ryan
    Don't waste your money, get a camouflage camera from Cabelas in the US, heres a Bushnell for US$150, if the link doesn't work, google Cabelas and search for camouflage cameras - they have heaps.

This is a great idea - a few successful prosecutions with a hefty fine or two may discourage many.

Failing that, printing their photo and putting them up around places like pubs, clubs and supermarkets with the caption "Do you know this man taking these crabs?" is sure to make them think twice. Note you are not accusing them of anything, just asking a question. They will get the message.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0046608418049a&type=product&cmCat=SEAR CH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=camouflage+camera&N=4887&Nt k=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=camouflage+ camera&noImage=0&Ns=SEL_LOW_PRICE|0&firstPage=true
    -------------------------------
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished

Stick to Dilly Pots - way more effective, quick, cheap and a bit of fun catching them with kids around. Definitely no waiting around for them to find the crab pot opening. Obviously this only works for those who have the time land based rather than the off visit in the dingy.

Cheers,
    Paul

i remember a story here in Gladstone a while back...some knobhead nicked some 50 or more crab pots...collapsed them all up...put them under his house (with all the previous owners names etc STILL ON THE TAGS)...also caught with undersized whole crab(jennies) in his freezer...his neighbour dobbed him in or something...needless too say after all was said and done (his name and all offences printed in the paper)...he dont live here no more...SCUMBAG!!!