Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ways to prevent theft of crab pots

Re: Ways to prevent theft of crab pots

G'day

Crabs can and will escape from poorly designed traps.

I spent 3 nights, 4 days up at donnybrook 2 weeks ago, and my 8 pots were in the water full time.

All used identical baits, and I have all round collapsible pots, with 4 different designs.

One design in particular was pathetic, absolutly horrendous with the crabs, miles away from a slightly larger pot with totally different entrances which out performed the others many many times over.

How do I prevent crab pot theft?? Sink the bloody things. Yes I know its a grey area with the law but I really don't mind.

Only lost one pot due to my own stupidity, thats pretty good odds if you ask me.

I always sink mine and have only lost a couple over the years. Im currently looking at getting some more, but with all this crap going on i am now very reluctant to pay $50-60 a pot and have them stolen , however if I buy cheap type will my catch drop off????

i have always brought mine of crab n gear (you cant beat quality goods)and I agree with blackened good pots always seem to do better.

I also use chicken frames crushed up a little and soaked in tuna oil, then freeze

michael
    Last edited by MICHAELG; 24-01-2008 at 04:11 PM.

G'day

Michael.... I believe if you skimp on the quality of your pot, then don't bother getting out there in the first place.

I have never used the crab n gear pots..... I pay $35 for some heavy duty jarvis walker round collapsible pots, 4 entrances and they're 900 diameter.

This is the ONLY jarvis stuff I will touch and they're available from graheme at wellington point marine. HIGHLY recommended.

These pots I have has up to 25 muddies in the 2 pots sunk around 20M apart

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by iank View Post
    Put a sign on your pots saying "smile, your on camera" recond they would get wiplash looking for owner of the pot.
    Cheers Ian
    Yeah I have been thinking of this one for a while, decided that trebles in the rope line was a bad move from a legal point of view as was glass as as razor wire, but why not screw with their heads. A nice big sign which says that they are being filmed and legal action will be taken should be enough to have them dropping that pot real quick.

As I do not have a boat and only crab from the sure this would seem quite feesable.

I am over having pots stolen and it does not happen to me anymore. I usually go crabbing at the sandgate co-op or morgans.

With stolen pots, bait, boat fuel and fuel for the car, it probably works out the same price per crab, but I get at least one every time I go "crabbing" now.

Quote Originally Posted by baitwaster View Post
    I am over having pots stolen and it does not happen to me anymore. I usually go crabbing at the sandgate co-op or morgans.

With stolen pots, bait, boat fuel and fuel for the car, it probably works out the same price per crab, but I get at least one every time I go "crabbing" now.
    G'day

I was considering the same..... but what I enjoy most is the exploration, the hunt and the anticipation of whats in the pots.

Pretty bloody enjoyable to see your 6'2 mate jump around the tinny like a girl when there's a loose muddy

Dave

I usually put my crab pots in and tie them to trees on mainland and when i go back and check them either the rope is chopped or my crabpots are sitting on the mainland open and raided. Now i usually tye them to the roots of the mangroves and put all the rope under the mud and have not had the problem since. Dirty hands and a bit more effort retained my pots and som nice healthy muddies

Thumbs up Re: Ways to prevent theft of crab pots

Same thing is happening in hervey bay though they seem intent on just stopping you crabbing in certain ares.(they just slash the top out of the pots)I've started just taking 4 rectangular collapsibles and running them every hour.Put them out of the run and keep the funnels tight with a couple well placed cable ties and you should have success. i got 6 in two hours a fortnight ago so pulled them out as they stack well and 6 is heaps. think the collapsibles are too cheap for them to worry about.
    cheers and god luck, chewy..

Was told a story by a mate that one guy in particular who lived in the Wide Bay area used to raid crab pots set in the river. The locals all knew he was doing it & he was even bragging about it at the local pub.
    This one night he goes out to check some pots (not his) and some of the locals get together.
    They went to the boat ramp where his car & boat trailer were parked.
    They then let down all the tyres on car & boat trailer + decided to do a bit of panel beating on his car.
    Never raided crab pots ever again.

Wink Re: Ways to prevent theft of crab pots

putting hooks on thr rope is called man trapping ans is pretty serious but iam with you on this one cause its also called stealing on the otherside of things."someone must have got there line wrapped around my pot and broke off"

maybe throw a cable tie in locking them up that way you would know if they have been checked.There has to be a micochip that you could put on your pots and trace on your gps when they go missing or you should be allowed to shoot on site

Not really, a microchip that would handle all the salt and shit is do-able, but would be probably a hundred bucks or more each.
    You could as suggested earlier have an alarm type of device that goes off at 100 decibels if you don't have the device to disarm it, that would be fun to see, and if you were in the area and hear this, you would know whats going down
    You could also apply the same technology to the ink concept, or even a low current, high voltage shock, however as said, if fisheries decide your pots are in the way, or non compliant to the laws, they are entitled by law to move, or confiscate them, so if you nobble them with ink, alarms or shock, you will be in the shit.

You could however have a GPRS module attached in a waterproof container, that sent you an SMS once a float switch on the marker float was triggered. That way you would know something is happening.. Even if it is yourself lifting the pot. Only thing with that is, each SMS will cost you..
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

If the ink device was recognized as being the result of raiding pots or stealing things then I think the general public would be fairly quick to report any bozo coming into a ramp covered in purple stain. The more a product like this is out there for sale at every bait shop the quicker the public would learn to keep an eye out for the perps. Its not that easy to remove purple stain from clothes faces and hands and boats so it would definitely be pointing the finger. It would need a set of codes activated via remote control as you set the pots and only that remote will deactivate it when you return. Makes only the remotes that need to be different rather than the paint balls.

Has anyone had anything to do with the clothing or money stain bombs used in retail and banking? Surely it is not too difficult to come up with a design and prototype?

Jack.

guys if it is a common problem,happening regularly in one spot more than likely whoever is doing it is selling them. if you detail where it is happening regularly then have a chat to the local fishos they already have the microchip to put in the crab,they will put a operation on and catch them.but it has to be happening regularly otherwise its like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Chewy, maybe not, I have seen a pro near where my mate lives at River heads pull up pots, including mine and basically pull off the floats / tags and stack them on board his punt, then zoom off. Apparently one time someone had a go at him and his attitude was #uck you all, this is my livelyhood, how would you like it if someone came into your workshop and started taking your stuff ?
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?