Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: barra fisheries at lenthalls dam

Re: barra fisheries at lenthalls dam

Now Ive fished Lenthalls, I know what everyone is going on about. Yep put more Barra in there, I just never knew how good impoundment fishing is.

Cheers
    James

fad

Shhhhhhhhh .

No point keeping Lenthalls a secret, besides that the road in there will keep most people at bay until they fix it up.

Cheers
    James

WHITTO

I think that is a Dam fine idea,if the impoundment can sustain the additional stocking I say go ahead, Cheers Whitto

bearclaw

Any more news on Barra stocking for the Dam. Dropped in for a look on the way up north yesterday. Yes that road is interesting but the upgraded camping area will draw more attention to the dam.

The local stocking group should be comended for its stocking of barra into lenthalls,however because of its proximity to Brisbane it will be doomed as a promising barra fishery unless its stocking rate is dramatically increased.The sip scheme does not generate enough money for fingerlings because Lenthalls is not nominated often enough,and my understanding is that from the income generated some members of the stocking group prefer bass to barra.Having fished extensively in other barra dams in the last 5 years it is very obvious that large stocking rates are extremely important together with the stocking of oversized fish.Lenthalls has enormous potential as a great barra fishery but beware the meat brigade from the south.

i love all the input you guys put in and all the info goes back to the fish stocking meetings.

Another Question;
    Does any one think that golden perch and silver perch should be stocked in lenthalls dam or leave the stocking program the way it is?

your input is very important

Dan

Golden perch and silver perch are obviously a cheaper option in terms of cost,however why would you sacrifice the work you are doing with barra for perch.
    Dan has the stocking group thought of some corporate sponsorship for the acquisition of barra fingerlings for lenthalls.I know there is some talk of maybe some comps to raise money which is a agreat idea,however i wonder if the likes of some of the more skilled anglers of youre area could organize a day or two fishing for some Brisbane corporate people who are keen lure flickers if maybe they could see the potential of lenthalls they might collectively make a donation.

Hi all,

I am not nessarlly an avocate of stocking larger size fingerlings (>60mm) as look at the way the fisheries in Awoonga, Calide Monduran and the little known callamonda are developing and they are largely baised on smaller fingerlings in the 40 to 60 mm range. Lenthals is a gr8 dam and i think given time it will develop in to a gr8 fishery although overflowing i understand is a prob but we have similar probs here at home with callamonda and it is still a exclent fishery yes some fish do leave when it overtops but not all other wise we wouldnt be catching m plus fish there.

Andrew

spoke with a mate in mackay today and interestingly as andrew73 mentioned about callomonda, Teemburra, eungella and kinchant dams have all gone over the spillway yet people continue to catch large barra there as well.Also my understanding was that oversized fish went into the above dams however i was wrong as it seems both faust and tinaroo are the dams getting oversized fish seemingly to fill yearclass voids.In mackay as a matter originally of economics the stocking group simply put large no,s of small barra and sooties in their dams in multiple locations.However it is obviously the consistency of stockings since then which has led to their success.Perhaps youre stocking group could talk with mafsa as they have now created fisheries where barra and sooties are thriving together.
    cheers

how long a drive is Lenthalls from Brisbane, anyone know?

approx 3.5 hours AZ

thanks mate, might have to pay it a visit, are there restirctions on outboards? what are the ramps like?

the ramp is new and great, the road in is bad dont drive fast
    the widebay water has restrictions and they are; 4knts speed limit, a 6hp limit and no camping.
    what i do when i am on the water with my boat (which has a 50hp) is stay to the 4knts speed limit at all times.
    there are logs under the water everywhere
    hope this helps

Dan

NO WAY MAN......... why waste all that time on putting golden perch into lenthalls, yes some people fish for them but i dont think its a liable option for the sportfishing and competition scene (barra and bass) lenthalls is on the barra trail and on the bass electric and bassin QLD list so it would be good if you could keep the focus on them.

and as for silvers well they might be good for a food source for a little while but when they get too big (for even the barra to eat) they really are good for nothing critters

cheers
    jim