Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saratoga in Brisbane Valley

Saratoga in Brisbane Valley

166 saratoga were released by SWFSA today. Location undisclosed.

All were 230 - 250 mm in length.

All adding up to make a some healthy breeding 'toga populations within a few years.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Re: Saratoga in Brisbane Valley

Great news Fitzy,

I know you blokes have been doing good work stocking Saratoga for several years now and wondered whether any areas have got to the breeding stage as yet.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by meoldchina
    Great news Fitzy,

I know you blokes have been doing good work stocking Saratoga for several years now and wondered whether any areas have got to the breeding stage as yet.

Regards,
    I'm pretty confident that wer've had 3 -5 spawns from a few of them on a few locations now. That means the first of the babies should be at breeding size themselves now. Here's hoping for a snowballing effect in the locations with suffucient (if barely) numbers.

I'll predict that the next couple of summers will see some saratoga start getting caught (& I pray released) in the Brisbane Catchment.

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

great work fitzy, top sportsfish.

great to see mate

where does the broodstock comes from? and are they being bred locally?

Awww they're so cute!

blue-mako

toga are prety expensive arnt they???

troy

Yerp! Toga are quite dear ive heard from the Walkamin DPI guys. My favourite freshwater fish look great, fight great, and they taste shocking so we all throw em' back to live another day. Its fantastic .

Great stuff Fitzy. Its blokes like you which keep our fishing going, hope to do the same one day soon in the near future...

Cheers.

TinarooTriumph

TT

they're coming down in price and I know a guy who has been succesfully breeding them using the same techniques they use for the asian arrowana as he used to work on their fish farms

G'day, Fitzy. Ewen Maddock is allowed 100 toga /year. Our quotes have been $35 per fish which is up $15 from our last stocking. I was wondering who you got your fish from so we can get a quote from them also....thanks-david

i,d like to know where you put them fish fitzy. #i hope thay get treated the respect thay deserve. beautiful fish gota love em
    i,d all so like to know where to get brewed stock of fish as i have a dam i,d like to stock it with big fat fish on my property any help
    figjam :wink:

top stuff fitzy

Give us a hint Fitzy - above or below the dam wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Feral
    Give us a hint Fitzy - above or below the dam wall?
    Above.

Way above.......................

fitz

Quote Originally Posted by gidget
    G'day, Fitzy. Ewen Maddock is allowed 100 toga /year. Our quotes have been $35 per fish which is up $15 from our last stocking. I was wondering who you got your fish from so we can get a quote from them also....thanks-david
    G'Day David,

I've bought them for as little as $13 each but had to go help harvest & then transport them myself.

For all of the stock I'm geting in the past few years I'm paying over $40 each, but they are all very big & are delivered. I've got an agreement with the breeder that I'll buy everything they produce, but I want a guarantee I get the lot, hence the higher price.
    They're very hard to source as they dont pull in as much money from a pond as would any other species in the same grow out pond.
    Many breeders got out of saratoga to do bass, silvers etc. I purchased alot of the "retired" brood stock & put them in the Brissy Valley region. Should be getting some 2nd & 3rd generation fish coming through by now,,,,,, I hope so anyway. #

Cheers,

fitz..