Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Barra in SE Qld

Re: Barra in SE Qld

Hey gidget, hope ya can pull that off. I've heard rumours of barra in the dam, starting to really believe it now. Went for a fish at the Maddock this arvo, got some nice bass. I'll put a few pics etc up in freshwater reports soon, if ya wanna check it out.

can any one shed any light on barra at ewen maddock ,numbers ect cheers

hell yeah bring it on

Not only in the dams but put some into the back rivers like brissy, logan, albert, pine and the rest.

yeah there should definetly be more and closer dames stocking barra

bronson

Tim_01

Hey every1,

I'd love to have barra down here! But I have a question, can barra handle the lower temperatures of our SEQ dams? Boondooma dam near proston was stocked with barramundi some time ago and it was 'Unsucsessful due to the cold winters' as stated in many web sites, books, etc. Barra are supposed to die at temperatures lower than 13 degrees C. So even if they were stocked, would they survive?

Cheers, Tim

I voted no.
    Let me state that I have nothing but praise for the committment of the stocking group involved, and all stocking groups for that matter.
    At the moment however I will support the science, even though it is lacking in this case. The fallback position is obvioulsy the precautionary principle. Past wrongs and inconsistencies in fisheries management and stocking policy should not really enter into the equation.
    I would be prapared to change my vote following a decent experiment in a smaller impoundment if such a place exists. The sheer numbers of barra neccessary to objectively trial their impacts in a lake as large as the ones mentioned would in my opinion be prohibitive and results would take a long time to come by.
    I have no answers re the cod issues. Habitat degradation is the problem and no amount of fish stocking fixes that. Unfortunately there is even less political will to tackle the issues of riparian habitat destruction and more importantly the massive broadscale soil erosion caused by overgrazing. That's an issue in every single catchment in Qld and affects every species, not just cod.
    Good luck to the SWFSA, I applaud your efforts and your tenacity.
    cheers