Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Single foot guides

Re: Single foot guides

"S-4" is a meaningless nomenclature. Especially in the absence of the standard that "S-4" applies to.
    In welding wires (steel) S-4 designates the silicon content when using the AWS standard.
    It may well do in this case too, but without knowing the carbon, nickel & chromium levels in the steel, it's "stainless" capabilities are indeterminable.
    It is interesting that fuji puts the term in inverted brackets.
    The claims that they are more corrosion resistant etc etc may be true, but "S-4" is pure advertising hype AFAIK

As a matter of interest, I have never seen any tutorial on working/shaping guides that cautioned against using carbon steel wire buffs or iron bearing grinding wheels for dressing stainless steel guides.

Strange when everything else is taken to the n'th degree
    Last edited by Owen; 28-02-2007 at 08:35 AM.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Hi Guys,
    thought I would get in on this discussion.
    Th biggest danger to a guide that I know of is the grinding wheel. Grinding the feet of the guide alters the metal and invites rust, an aluminium oxide wheel reduces this problem dramatically.
    We are custom builders in Tas. The only ones I think. We hand file every guide foot and finish by smoothing off with wet and dry. The guide feet are prepared both on top and underneath to ensure a smooth finish.
    That is one of the reasons custom rods cost more, it is about the time spent in the extra preparation and layout of each build, plus using top quality components to start with.
    Also as Bearclaw said we all have our own way developed from what we have learned over the years, a custom builder is like everyone else and builds in a way that works best for him. That means we never stop learning and evolving, after 35 years at this game I learn something just about every time I get onto one of the forums.
    Just do your best with your project, it will teach you something for your next job.

Paul
    I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Phill, Thanks for the info. Ive been using Fujis on My rods for 25 years with no complaints. I reckon theyre as good as anything out there . If by now they cant produce a good product theres something wrong and no I dont work for them!

Stuart, thanks for your explaination and i respect it, but I cant understand why the top shelf rod makers factory rods dont underbind on light weight carbon rods if there were issues. Most of their top rods are bare graphite finish. Surely they dont want warranty claims/dissatisfied customers?

As for this grinding thing - Im a filer only because i have the time and dont have a bench grinder or a Dremel. I guess the extra heat a grinder makes on the guide may change the structure of the metal slighty. If you were really worried dont touch the guide and leave the proprietary coating on it, harder to bind thou. I believe the epoxy finish should seal the bare metal ok!

S4 - does a high silicon content in steel make it more corrosion resistant?
    Fuji claim no corrosion for their Titanium framed guides!

regards Cam
    Last edited by cammac; 28-02-2007 at 09:13 AM.

Cam,
    The S4 I refered to in relation to the silicone content has no bearing on the corrosion resistance, but does have an effect on how the weld flows and what happens to the impact properties as you weld over other welds.
    As I said, it's the (lack of) carbon, and the levels of chromium and nickel that are important in stainless steel.

Titanium is as close to corrosion free as any metal available. Certainly in the environment of a guide. It is also very very light, but bloody expensive.
    Really interesting to machine too.... Doesn't chip at all. You get one giant piece of razor sharp spaggetti.

The grinding wheels you use should be iron free. As for under the guide feet I'm planning on getting a diamond plated steel.
    The sister company of the one I work for sells out of the ordinary abrasive products and diamond & CBN gear.
    They should give an almost mirror finish and leave no residue.
    Cheers,
    Owen

Interesting Owen,

I have a Diamond impregnated steel ( knife sharpening ), but if is almost flat. the cost was about $80. Is this something that you are talking about ?

Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 01-03-2007 at 08:18 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Very similar Phil,
    Except I am talking about something more the size of a chainsaw file and round.
    I suppose if you wanted to get really fancy you could turn up a piece of steel the same taper as an "average" blank and have it diamond plated.

They are available in pen sized units about 8mm diameter and 125mm long. Most have a couple of grooves for sharpening hooks. I keep one in my tackle box to give my knives and hooks a lick.
    Cheers,
    Owen