Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clark Abalone Centre Console

Re: Clark Abalone Centre Console

Razgo without knowing those boats fully age will be just a guess, I used the over all look of the boat which included the relative lack of freeboard and the pressing down the side to assume my guess.

Age doesn't have to really matter though, except for under the floor....you really do need to do a full investigation down there IMO.

There is no reason reason it cannot do everything a 12k hull can do and some of the older tinnys seriously put the newer tinnys to shame in their softness of ride.

cheers fnq

Brother in law had a Clarke Abalone 5m CC - it was a painted hull jobbie, well cared for, late 90's, fold down targa etc.

Nice rig - but VERRRRRY wet. He had spray dodgers mounted to the front rails, then had spray dodgers that would clip from the targa roof and windscreen out to the side of the boat on a 45 degree angle, to keep the helm dry...

As for the Seajay Sports - We have had the 4.35 (older model to the now 4.4) - AWESOME boat.... ONLY fault was when two big guys fishing out the back in swell, waves can come over the back, as the cut out in the transom is very deep for some reason.. - but nothing the bildge couldnt sort out.

The only other thing were the cheap nasty seats in the seajay... the cheap 2mm plastic would split where the seat was bolted to the seat post, kinda dangerous to loose your seating in a big swell...

The boats themselves are well set up, dry (for their size), have LOADS of storage under that front casting deck, and felt very safe on the 36's outside on a good day.

Im running a 96 clark - Challenger Abalone 4.29 with a yamaha 2stk 40 Enduro (tiller) and I'm very happy with it and often make trips to the 36's+50's off the goldy and had the odd run in with bad weather and its held its own.
    Yes you get wet when the wind and tide oppose but its stable and punches through chop well. Its a great offshore and estuary boat for the money and ive found no signs of cracked welds etc.
    My only dissapointment in the hull is the cut out in the transom for motor is very deep and it tends to let water over in sloppy seas.

Hi mate,

They are a good solid old rig and probably no rougher or wetter then most other older makes of tinnys.

In regards to price, I would not pay over $2500 for that boat mate. There are better boats out there for $4500

Cheers,
    Nick

nickstock, i am feeling the same. If he came down to $2K i would buy it. thats teh type of boat i am looking for but just a bit dryer/higher sides would be good.

the 4.3 or 4.9 with 50HP should keep me under 600KG which is my towing capacity.

I had another look at her today and can see a crack in the trailer underneath. probably nothing a good welder can't fix quickly?
    Just where that white corroded stuff is in the pic. not a good pic though.

otherwise i am looking at a quintrex 5.2m

Razgo
    I have just ordered a Brooker Discovery 5m CC from Cunninghams Marine they have them advertised on Boat Point for $17950 they come in under 600kg not to sure if you want to spend that much but worth a look.
    Cheers Axl

Hi axl, that is an interesting price. No i didn't want to go that high but i am surprised thats a NEW price for a new 5m cc.

I wanted to stay well under 15K and even under 10K if possible. but at the same time i have to consider price difference between new and 2nd hand which isn't always that much difference depending on age.

I haven't researched brooker cc yet so i will throw that one in the mix too, thanks for that

was at vic point ramp the other day and a guy came in on his blue fin cc and said to me if i wanted a decent cc to get a clark abolone.

Razgo-
    Spoke to a mate he has one 4.9 CC late 80's I think as the guys seem to be saying WET!!! boat but my mate says his is though as nails.
    Cheers Axl

yeah i think i will get this clark tinny. had another look inside and it really is like new. welds all good and and new condition. Its just looks grubby because i don't think its ever been washed and it was in the last 2 dust storms we had here to.

If i buy it i will post some video