Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project Punt: 3.95m Bermuda Discovery

Project Punt: 3.95m Bermuda Discovery

Hi All,

Decided to get my first boat last week , a 3.95 Bermuda Discovery and 25hp Merc tiller 2000 model. PLan to do some mods to the rig and set it up to fish some Bass electric comps and general lure casting.

I plan to install front casting deck with 2 hatches in the fron before the first thwart seat and extend the deck past the seat and install a plumbed 120l live well tank with a divider.

Also a rear casting deck with hatches to store fuel an batterys. Also woll get a paint job and a new 71lb bow mount electric up front. Its not a small project but will be a lot of fun.I will keep you updated of the progress and if run into troubles also ask for idea's.

Here is a pic of here now before starting

Cheers

Aaron

<'))>>< <'))>><

Re: Project Punt: 3.95m Bermuda Discovery

Here is another pic of her.

Cheers

Aaron,

Go for it mate cause it looks like a nice boat to do up.

Cant wait to see the pictures once its complete.

Are you using it for freshwater fishing only

MIKOS

The_Walrus

Nice boat to do a project on.

Should look good when finished.

Remember measure twice and cut/drill once

I enjoyed finishing my boat, wiring, lights etc.

Luc

HI All,

I am setting it up for lure fishing, mainly fresh but salt when weather permits. I would say 70% fresh to 30% salt. Winter is a time where more salt will be added with the squire in close and the great weather we have then.

I have taken the floor out to strengthen. Bought 10mtrs of 25mm-25mm square alloy tube to build the floor and livewell tank out off. Will post some pics of the floor strenthened soon.

Cheers
    Aaron

Hi. I have an almost identical boat in the Savage Tropical series, V-Punt. I have set mine up very similar to what you want to do. One thing, however, the 71lb minn kota will be an overkill. I tested several motors [from a number of mates] and went with a 40lb Riptide. The boat FLYS and, needing only one deep cylce battery, has been run for 6 hours straight and when I got home to recharge it, it only took an hour. Hardly chewed any power at all. You'll be better off with a smaller electric and spend some of the extra dollars you save on two deep cycle batteries. Also, set your battery storage up front - less distance for the leads to the bow mount, and better balance for the boat. 50kg's of batteries down the back end where you sit [and your fuel is stored] is a bit much for the v-punt on those days you fish alone. Other than that, a great little weapon. I love mine and it's perfect for those weekends where the weather isn't right for the bluewater.

Hi Fishframe,

I was planning to store the deep cycles up front like yours and the battery to run the sounders down the back.the deep cycles for the electric are currently planned to be located located either side of the live well to even things up.

The only reason for the larger electric is when fished in other boats fitted with a 55lb some times we havnt had enough push to overcome the tide. Also is the electric comps it can be advantagous to get to spots before others

Some guys in the comps have 3 electrics!!!! Maybe a overkill with the extra weight of the batteries. Also after doing research most people who have upgraded from 12v to 24v systems say its like chalk and cheese and reccommend going the 24v system.

Can you send me a pic of your rig for setup ideas?What size outboard do you have. The 25hp pushes the punt very nicely. Once the Matrix with gps is installed I will be able to get some figures.
    I will post a basic plan og the hull tommorrow

Cheers
    Aaron

Here is a pic of the floor as it came. I have added T supports as the floor flexed under foot. I have used 25mm-25mm square alloy tubing which will be used to contruct the livewell and casting deck as well.

Cheers
    Aaron

Here is the pic of the floor supports in place and ready to be welded.
    Will start on the livewell construction this week that will fit behind the front thwart seat.

Cheers
    Aaron

88fishframe,

What sort of battery do you use for the electric??

Scubapro

I did something similair to what you are doing now to my 425 Stessl ET. Started with a bare boat, ended up with front and rear casting platforms with raised centre floor with underfloor storage. Whole inside of boat is covered in marine carpet including the sidewalls to cut down on glare and hard surfaces to rash my fishing gear. Took me around 6months on and off, and boat is exactly how I wanted it! Everything has been great with the exception of some recurring cracking in the welds of the false floor frame. Tinnies are made to flex a bit to soften their ride, and when you weld supports in for a floor, they keep breaking! Looks like you have alot of supports in though so hopefully you won't have too many dramas. It also doesn't help basing the boat through some serious chop during the week I spent over on hinchinbrook, 25kn sou'east tradewinds isn't ideal fishing weather!

I also believe the 71lb 'lecky will be overkill, I have a 54lb motorguide, and it had no probs pushing around the boat with 2 people, 50hp main motor fuel tanks, etc up in the creeks of hinchinbrook earlier this year in huge tides and 20+kn of wind. I use a 130Ah Trojan deep cycle and get a few hours use no dramas, especially if I do a bit of running around on the main motor as I've had it wired with an 11amp alternator.

Good luck with the build, hope everything goes off without a hitch..

Mate don't start all that work just yet its fishing season. Well done on your first bout, what did it set you back?

Hi All,

thought I would do a update on Project Punt. Been busy at work but have manged to do some work on it. I have sent the boat off to a boat builder to weld in some casting deck supports for me. We have gear at work but no enough penetration for the floor supports. Pick the boat up tomorrow and will post pics of the supports in place.

While its been away i have cut up some 25mm Rhs alloy to make the live well tank out off. I have attached a pic of the tanks frame work just put together at this stage with some tape to check it all lines up etc.
    The 2 tangs at each end of the tank are supports for a support bar to run across which have not been cut down yet. I am going to line the tank with 1-2 mm alloy sheeting.

The tank it self will be sitting on to off 2 floor supports.

Bye for now

Aaron
    ><((((º> ·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.· .¸.,.·· ...¸ ><((((º>¸.
    ··.··.¸.·· ..··.. ><((((º> ·.¸¸ .··.¸.· ·...¸ ><((((º>
    ·.¸¸.·· ...¸ ><((((º>

Here is another view of the tank frame. i have worked out that it will hold 80Ltrs.

Cheers
    Aaron
    ·.¸¸.·· ...¸ ><((((º>

Hi all,

picked up the boat from the welders. wow what a great job. The boys have welded supports from the front bench seat to the front storage area. I have attached a pic of the front welds.

Cheers

Aaron
    ·.¸¸.·· ...¸ ><((((º>