Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project Punt: 3.95m Bermuda Discovery

Re: Project Punt: 3.95m Bermuda Discovery

Today with a christmas hangover i have added 2 more hatches to the front deck. I plan to put my batteries up front for the elctric in a sealed plastic storage container. I have followed the thread on battery location btu feel up front is the best position for my boat.

I added the extra hatches so when the lastic containers is up front with the batteries I can still store some gear up front as well like torch and raincoat.
    I am picking up the elecrtric this wed 28dec. Cannot wait to install the electric. It got held up with all th christmas mail

Here is the front deck with the 3 hatched opened.

The carpeted light grey thing under the hatches is a V shaped support that makes a flat floor support for the battery container to sit on.

Here is it all colosed up again.

Cheers
    Aaron

Hi All,

my new elctric bow mount turned up last week after a few delays. Took home and installed that night. I got a 71lb Motorguide freshwater series motor. I have attched a anode for salt water use.

I have managed to install without needing my front rails cut. The 2 130ah deep cycles are mounted in my center hatch up front for now until my front deck is extended and the batteries moved toward the center of the boat.

Here is a pic of it fitted.

Cheers

Aaron

Here is another view of the motor.

finga64

Gidday Aaron,
    How's the boat going??

jack_attacks

Aaron

Any chance of an update on the boat? Now you have had a chance to test it all out, are you happy with it? Would you change anything...?
    JA

wesbo

hi aron

top jod mate i've had the same boat and it was great i did a few little upgrades my self but in the end the boat was that little bit to small.

Hi All,

Sorry for the slow updates but I have been busy working and fishing. Over the last few months I have been slowly adding a few bits and peices. I have put in a new floor in the centre section made from 17mm ply which is nice and strong and solid.

I have also moved my batteries from the front and made a box located in front the the rear bench seat. The nose was a little to heavy,great in the fresh water but when out in the bay, the nose was heavy in big chop.

I also got around to getting the last of the welding done and got the live well supports done this week. I have attched a pic of the supports.The live well fits in really tight and am looking forward to putting the well in and plumbing.I had to rip up the front deck, new floor and battery box so will post pics of them later.

Cheers
    Aaron

Here is a pic of the live well/esky in the supports . I plan to insulate the well with 20mm polystyrine foam so it has some insulation to aid in the esky role.

I have plumbed the tank with a fill line with spray bar, a bottom drain hole with pipe fitting to determine water height in the live well and also 2 overflows , 1 each side of the well that drain out the side of the boat via skin fittings.

The drain also runs via 20mm hose out to the transom where I have installed another skin fitting.

Cheers
    Aaron

In this pic you can see the transom and the fittings added. The white fitting to the left is the drain outlet. On the far right is the transom mounted live well pump and fittings. I have also installed 2 check valves for safety. One is fitted on the outlet side of the live well pump and the other just before the outlet on the transom. This stops the drain outlet and hose filling with water . All hose fittings have stainless steel hose clamps fitted.

I have added a generous amount of marine sealent also to all skin fittings and pump espeacially under the water line.

Cheers
    Aaron

Here is a pic of the transom live well pump and bilge pump located in the right hand side of the boat. You can see the check valve (black). Tomorrow I am going to modify the front casting floor and also add the live well floor and panels. I also plan to insulate the live well hatch if i have time.

Will post pics soon of the job.

Cheers
    Aaron

I am doing something similar with my Punt (see fitting out my punt) I have a few questions.
    I have made a live tank out of ply which I will fibreglass. And then cover with Marine carpet to match the rest of the boat.
    What bilge setup do you have, I see the black pickup line from the transom of the boat, does this then go to a Flow-through type pump? The marine shop here said to screw the pump to the outside of the transom but I was always a little dubious about this... Also, my overflow will probably be below the water line...do you pump your overflow out with another pump?? How do I calculate the litre capacity of the tank? Thanks mate, Sean PS..looking good.. Is the lean seat good?

Hi Sean,

Doing up[ a a boat is good fun hey! regarding your questions about the live well, yes the pump is a through transom pump meanijng I needed to cut a 20mm hole in the transom below the water line for the pump inlet pipe to fit through. After fitting the shim and nut i fitted the 90' elbow which sits into the water column and primes the pump .

The marine shop you talked to has suggested the safest and cheapest way of setting up a live well pump. It is just as effective as a through transom pump with out the added extra safety steps needed when putting a hole on your transom under the water line. If anything its just not as neat as the through transom setup as your hose will have to come up over your transom and up to your tank.

As for the overflow I donnow pump the water out of the tank but simply remove the black pipe from the bottom ofthe tank and it gravity drains out through the 1 way valve and out the transom skin fitting. the setup is like what quintrex and others use, the pipe also acts as a level control as when the water hits the top of the pipe it simply drains into the pipe and out the overflow. I also Jave the 2 overflows as well each side to help with sloshing in the tank.

In the the pic the pipe is not yet cut down th size and level with the white overflow skin fittings.

Cheers
    Aaron

Happy

I wondered when I would run into you on here!?!

If you have the room, I can recomend that you try and use more than 20mm styrofoam in your insulation of the livewell/esky. Of the eskies I used to make, I only did the first one out of 20mm and learnt from my mistake. It is just not enough to keep ice. 40mm is adequate but more would assist in the reduction of air movement around the well therefore giving you better insulation.
    It is going to add to your floatation and boyancy as well so if you can fit it, you may as well.

I have some 40mm that you can have if you let me know before wed. night and I will get the old man to pull it out of his shed and bring it down on thursday.

Cheers mate, rhet

Beautiful looking live well Aaron, where did you get it done and how much? If you don't mind me asking.

Cheers
    Murray