Thread: 10lb wiper

10lb wiper

this is a pic of a 10lb wiper i caught on a 4" red shad powerworm in about a foot of water off a dam.
    a wiper is a hybrid fish.they cross a white bass with a striped bass and this is what they come up with.
    [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADnAv8V*SpjCW*NEk*MVJDMX6mHJEaw2!!DaPNWw7LIRDgwX !8niH0H*IaK!sNuC6Cxf4wyuaXkFu7LA6B5v2r9cx361hZynXr RGMXwsVBNAAAAynJjAg/wiper.jpg.BMP?dc=4675512564817342367[/img]

Re: 10lb wiper

Nice fish Bassintom! Those fish are great! I once saw a fish hatchery in Mammouth Springs Arkansas where they were raising them. It was pretty neat to see. They had them in big rearing tanks and fed them goldfish. Great fish thanks for posting it.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

american fish im guessing....... are these guys related to the bass we have over here?

Quote Originally Posted by bobby777888
    american fish im guessing....... are these guys related to the bass we have over here?
    Nope, our Bass aren't really Bass at all, there a Perch, so is the Barramundi, in case you weren't aware. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

PC

U.S. White and striped bass are related to our Aussie bass - they're are the same family - Percichthyidae (as are European and English Sea Bass). Largemouth and small mouth bass are not, they're a different family (Sunfishes).
    None of the above are real perch in terms of being members of the perch family - Percidae - Introduced Redfin perch are the only 'true' perch we have in Australia.
    Barramundi are a different family again - Centropomidae not really a perch at all - but the same family as Snook in the southern U.S.

Regards - Jim
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

Jim you are a learned man and I will take your word on that, up untill now, everything I had read on them suggested that they where a perch. I stand corected.

PC

PC,
    Part of the confusion probably comes from one further up the description / classification tree (it goes Kingdom, Phyla, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species) - all of the fish discussed above are in the same Order Perciformes - but different families.
    The relationship of U.S. White and Striped bass is apparent if you have a close look at them - check out the 'Wiper' in the beginning of the post - paint it a uniform bronze colour and what would you have? - Pretty much an Aussie Bass - even the fin shape and gill cutters are pretty identical. Its part of the reason I have always been attracted to the idea of catching a large Striped Bass in the U.S. or a large Sea Bass in Europe - imagine if our own bass got to 60+lbs
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Tait
    The relationship of U.S. White and Striped bass is apparent if you have a close look at them - check out the 'Wiper' in the beginning of the post - paint it a uniform bronze colour and what would you have? - Pretty much an Aussie Bass - even the fin shape and gill cutters are pretty identical.
    Jim,

Upon closer inspection, I see what you mean.

PC

Don't care what they are but if the yanks can get a top fish like that out of two different bass it's about time we crossed a barra and a jack

Bring it onnnnnnnnnnnn
    ps. top fish bassintom good to see it on Ausfish
    Cheers Foxie