Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellow perch

Re: Yellow perch

Nice fish and thanks for the tips Swiss-fish.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

G'day guys.
    Redfin perch are pretty flat out down in Victoria and yeah, (nugget) they do exceed 50cm.
    I've caught what I thought was a very small redfin (10 inches/25cm or so) in Canada years ago and tossed it back much to the dismay of nearby perch fishos.

Here's a few pics of some nice redfin from Vic.

Cheers, NS
    This one is of my long suffering wife with a reddie of 1.3kg and about 46cm

This one was caught in Rocklands resi when it had water in it by a mate. It was 51cm, but only 1.3 kg - skinny..!

This is one I caught fishing deep with a wet fly.
    They love just about anything that moves so lures are great with them.

Best seem to be bright and minnow profiles like Rapala CD5, CD3 etc and locally made stuff.

They love single tailed soft plastics too!

WOW!!!!! Those redfin get BIG! I'll bet they are great fun to catch too! Thanks for the pics Slates.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

No drama mate
    Those are amongst the biggest one's I've caught or witnessed, but I have seen one mounted that was 11 pounds and another of 9 pounds.

In the 70's, Lake Toolondo (now dry) was famous for them and I have seen pictures of blokes holding up literally tonnes of them averaging 9 pounds (4.1kg approx)

There was a story of one being caught at 23 lb, but I've never seen a pic and you'd reckon if you got one this big there'd be a few pics of it.

2kg (4 lb) fish are not that uncommon, but I've never broken 2kg

They're great fun to catch on lures alright!

More often they are caught from 400g - 1kg (1 lb to 2 lb) and sometimes they can be in plague proportions under 400g.

Very nice on the plate too!

nice work mate what did you use to catch the perch and what size limit do they have on them

cheers
    speckly

G'day Speckly.
    I've caught most of them on lures such as Rapala minnows and some locally made minnow imitations. They also, of course, love live minnow, yabbies and just about anything else.

There are no size or bag limits on them because they are an introduced species.

Cheers, NS