Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand trout

New Zealand trout

I got this brown trout at Queenstown in New Zealand in lake Wakatipu which is up to 400 meters deep in places. I tell you what it didn't put up a fight at all. A 23cm bream would have pulled it backwards, oh well trout is trout.

Length=49cm
    Weight=? (No scales)
    Bait=bread
    Tim=at sun set
    Method=running sinker down to a swivel then a 50cm leader and a no 6 octopus hook
    Line class=6lb
    Taste=yummylishess

Cheers chemmy

Re: New Zealand trout

Nice fish Chemmy! I have to ask you about the bait. We have brown trout in Lake Michigan here in Chicago and I have been trying to catch one every spring for the last three years without success. You catch them on bread? How do you put it on the hook? Do you just tear off a bit of it and hook it on loose or do you mash it into a kind of a tight dough-ball and hook it on like that? I've never heard of bread as bait for trout before and I'm curious. Thanks.

E.C.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

i mash it into a dough ball and mash it around the hook i hooked about 10 fish but dropped them just at the jetty

LOL. I was just wondering. I think if I used bread where I live, I'd hook mainly carp. What I use for trout are spoons, nightcrawlers (large earthworms) and salmon eggs (spawn sacs). I was wondering if the trout may have thought the bread dough ball was a bunch of eggs. There are lots of people who use orange colored marshmallows for trout and salmon and do really well. The trout follow the salmon and eat their eggs as they spawn.

Thanks Chemmy for the information. I think you have a great fishing spot there to have hooked ten of them! Lucky!

E.C.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

but i have to be honest with you i read in a book that this lake has a huge supply of salmon. brown and rainbow trout so don't think i did that well i recon that the locals would have thought that that trought was a midget oh well i recon it was great fun. By the way the last trout or maybe salmon i hooked musta been big because it took about 10 maybe 20 meters of line, The one in the photo didn't take any so let your imagination run wild

chemmy

mate if your targeting trout dont use bread, its not the best of baits for them
    Cheers,

Ben

Kiwis consider a trophy trout to be 10 pound, my uncle got one at that weight on fly in lake taupo, its mounted on the wall its absolutley huge.
    The best method we had was trolling flies around the lake in the big drop offs.
    Ive never heard of people using bread to catch trout

wow nice trout chemmy. was there any snow in queenstown? those mountains look like there was none. we were there december last year and had snow to 600m (queenstown being 400m ASL)
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

sh!t loads there phil

hey mate how good is the fishing on the south island,
    ive heard it is really good but ive known people to go for a week or two and not get a bite,

how many did u catch , and did u try the rivers at all

any info
    Cheers,

Ben

nic fush bro ay
    seriously good catch how'd you cook it
    grill, oil or smoke

i hooked 10 but only landed 2.
    I didn't fish the rivers only the lake.
    I grilled it and it tasted beautiful

Chemmy

heres a four and a half pounder from lake taupo in north island, it was one of about 7 we caught in a morning session

another couple smaller ones
    All rainbows, no browns the whole time
    All fish were in poor condition as theyd been running up the rivers and only returned to the lake
    Morty

Chemmy,
    The brown youve got is a beautiful fish mate, they are far prettier than the rainbows i got.
    Morty