Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your cod

Re: Show us your cod

im not denying any one of a feed of fish,,,each to there own im just saying there a great fish that takes so long to get to a decent size,,,iid rather buy my fish from the fish shop,,,dont go much on freshwater fish anyhow...

thats fair enough. one of the photos I posted of a guy with a 40 lb cod caught at coolmunda dam a few weeks back. I asked the guy as to why he didnt release it.
    He said that it was his second caught in the past few weeks. makes you wonder just who much fish a person can eat.
    I admitted that if I caught a fish of that size, I would probally keep it as well, but also feel they should be released asap.

He pointed out that due to cod size increased, smaller fish are not getting a chance to survive.
    I once caught a 15lb cod on xmas eve, made a good xmas dinner.

kh,
    Ive got no problem with ppl taking a fish to eat..just wonder at taking 40 pounders then chucking them in the bin..I have a pic of 2 old fellows at prosserpine with 4 big barra and they were going around the camp looking 4 someone to give them to.obvoiusly noone wanted them so they chucked them in the bin..???????
    BTW i killed a big fish Salt water cod.about 30 years ago and ate him.and still regret doing it..
    Guess it comes with being a silly ol bugger, and gettin soft..
    Jim

I agree totaly. I have two yellas in the freezer right now. I to am not a great fish eater. I recon that if you freez them, they tast like s...it. Same with prawns and crab. Nothing beats catching them and throwing them straight into the fire or in a pan.
    I will get around some day and cooking them up along with some guests thou.

try smoking them, awesome

Im not a big fish eater either but will take legal fish to keep for fresh feed that night when I have other fish eating visitors with me.

I dont believe in keeping them to freeze - wastefull!

But I dont keep the big cod ever- unless it's too crook to release (but this has never happened).
    I also have a self imposed yellow belly 40cm for keepers - just personal opinion for table food.

Funny Cindy,

Thats our thoughts as well, we fished copeton for 4 days last week and kept one 39cm Yellowbelly for a meal that was eaten within 2 hours of capture, it tasted great and was the first fish I have kept for a meal in ages, we let the rest go for next time.

Cheers

Phil

Hey ya,
    My first trip to Copeton was last Easter, its a good 6hr drive from the Goldcoast with 3 kids under 8. I loved every second of that place and will be back!
    What made the trip memorable was my first big Cod, 75cm and Gee didn't he peel off some reel when I got him 1 meter from the surface! The 40p braid and 60p leader on my ugly stick sapphire plus coupled with a Shimano overhead held him true. The misses did a great job landing him on the 2nd attempt after the first attempt he simply didn't fit. I was told only 1 other Cod was reportedly caught out of 3000+ people there over Easter.
    My brother also landed his biggest ever Yella on the trip (8pounds).

Cheers Jeff.H.

nice fish, great dam,

Congrats on the cod - he looks in great nick.

Have to chuckle but - looks like your reef fishing with that big rig!!!!!

We usually only use 15 or 20lb line with 20/30lb leader, on a 4-6kg rod with little 4000 eggbeater or curado baitcaster.

Sorry - I couldnt resist the dig.

Seriously though - great fish, we were at Copeton the week after Easter and did it tough too. Only managed yellows. (oh...and lost about a million dollars in lures!!!!! )

Nice Cod there.

I noticed that there is part of his back tail fin missing, another Cod i'd say.

Plus his mouth looks small in comparison to its body length, I have always felt the fish grow quick at Copeton and this only helps that theroy.

Like Brett said great Dam.

Cheers

Phil

Howdy all,
    Pushed my P.B. for Mary River Cod up a little the other day by a few cm's .I brought to hand a beautiful little fish that went 51.

She was caught casting on 8lb string,And a 16lb leader,And couldn't resist an Iyoken rattle TN/60 in the Aokin blue gold shad pattern.

The fish was taken amongst several Australian Bass in one of my favourite haunts,Which I like to call :- AREA 51.

After a few pics were snapped,This magnificent creature was released in perfect health (Which we also attempted to capture on film).

One VERY happy angler.

Regards. B8.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

Some very nice close up pics B8, nice Mary cod.
    cheers rossco

Here's a couple of recent ones to keep the thread updated and running

Sorry - I only had phone with me one day, so not the best photo quality.

more..........