Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

Re: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

mate we just jig the jigs, cast out far and let it sink to the bottom, then you pull (jag the bait a couple of time and then let it go to the bottom again
    repeat like this until you feel a fish on the jig
    usually when i feel ive got a fish, i dont reel in, i let him swim around for a bit and then jag again
    you usually get more slimy's attacking the jig if there was already a fish on the jig

other times i cast the jig out far let it sick to the bottom and then retrieve it in at medium/slow pace wit a jag every now and again
    just remember that slimys are predator fish aswell-they chase smaller fish so they are very attacking themselves

cheers

G'day Boys,

The methods you've mentioned are good. I would say the bait on hooks is the most deadly but I prefer to spin with 20g metals for slimies. Less messy. Not the biggest fan of fish goo all over my gear and self. Although once I put it on there once I forget about caring.

Places like tomaree lend themselves well to spinning for bait. As for bonnies 40g raiders and 50g snipers are the best thing you can use. Any size bonnie will hit them especially the 40 and will still put you in the zone for kings, Cobes, tuna (macs and blues) and even mackeral if they're about. If you are spinning with overheads the best thing you could ever do for your casting distance is incorporate a knotted dog into your rig. These things seriously help load the rod and will get you an average of 10+ metres on every cast. Make sure they're the HSS ones though. I've been using them for a while now and anything else feels wrong. Need to get some more actually. Kings earlier in the season too a few on me.

Speaking of, Saen I spent a bit of time at Catho over the summer and got into a few kings up until Feb. They went really quiet after then. Would be a good look for BIG kings and cobes at the moment though. I'm still more interested in the bluefin at the moment though.

Cheers
    Stephan

when you spin do you change the hooks?
    i reckon a treble would do damage to a fish you want to use for a livie. what do you reckon?

Yeah they can damage them sometimes. I ususally don't worry though. For anything over 40g though I use rear singles and when chasing kings I use kevlar 'eye' loops that are usually found on deep water jigs. They provide far better hook up ratios and less snags. Lures don't get hooked onto themselves and the line either.

Cheers
    Stephan

P.S. Saen what are you doing this weekend?

What size rod do you use for live baiting off Tommaree? I have a 6'6 live fibre, is that long enough? I usually go up to Forster but it has been dead set ordinary up there.

Hi all
    First time i have looked at this post
    well done saen
    cheers
    blaze

I use a 7ft Custom built Calstar. It is a 24kg rated rod which is a little too heavy for bluefin but with all the sharks and the chance of a big cobe always there it soon becomes a necessity to land a decent fish. The fact that I got done over on 15kg the other week there said a lot to me.

You will find your 6ft 6in rod will do the job there. You might find if you're on the northern end of the ledge you could find landing a little difficult but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Worries me to hear that nothing is happening up Fozzi way. That's usually one of the best places to get regular numbers of fish.

I'm off exploring new areas this weekend. Not interested in playing with the mozzies and crowds at tomaree.

Cheers
    Stephan

Well with a relative in hospital my lbg season is over I was planning to ivade u boys up north but its all off So yall have to catch em for me, good luck guys.

well heres a fishy story for everyone

i planned a big weekend fishing for easter.
    we got on the rocks on thursday night and started setting up for the morning, anywayz we started fishing but we couldnt get past the salmon and the taylor
    i caught a bonnie and sent it out straight away, i must have hooked up to u decent fish in less than 5mins and it took the fish 5mins to find the nearest boat and cut me off.
    there was boats everywhere
    i caught the next bonnie and sent that out aswell and hooked up to another huge fish within 10mins
    i had 30lb fireline (1000m) on and running 5kg of drag
    well she took 800m of line without giving me a chance of getting line back, i flipped the lever to about 6-7kg and she started slowing down, finally im getting some line back and then the boys stared screaming, there was a bout heading our way- the guy on the boat didnt give a shit, he went straight over and cut me off
    i only got 400m of line back and lost a fish between 100-150kg fishy, it was probably just a shark but i was only running a 60lb trace???

well thats the only runs we had on friday
    we didnt get any runs on saturday apart from the taylor and salmon
    and then came sunday, i caught my first mac tuna, not a bad fight for a smaller fish compared too bluefin
    it was a goodweekend but it would have been better if there wasnt any boats-and if they were a bit more considerate
    and there was hardly anyone on the rocks, very weird???

till next time guys!!!

Set,

sorry to hear about your relative mate,
    i hope your relative gets better quick!
    because it looks like the fishin is about to fire up

Well if i get a chance to go for a fish it will be to duck out for a morning in the boat i think, lbg for this season is a no goer for me . I will make up for it next year!!!
    There was a time down south when mack tuna where an easy target, but in the last 4 years they havnt really made much of an appearance down here, used to be fun spinnin up 8kg+ macks on little 4kg spin rods.
    miss the old mack tuna!!
    Sounds lika a shark to me Saen, i have landed sharks on 80lb trace as for some unknown reason they didnt bite me off!!! The whole fight im thinkin its some great fish then up pops a shark fin.
    Sometimes ya just hookem in the right place, and bonito are a great alround bait but up north its a shark snack waiting to be gobled lol.
    Well mate ya doin well and its good to see, dont forget to send me some pics ok!!!
    Cya mate
    Rob.

cHiCo

saen ya still carving up aye. looks like all the advice given to ya has paid off and shows what a helpful site this is.

Saen,
    Sounds like deja vu. I hooked a good what I reckon was a shark there a couple of years ago on a slimie. It went 800 metres out against about 5kg of drag and finally bit through my 60 lb trace after 1 1/2 hours. I also hooked plenty of sharks on live bonito that bit straight through the trace there.
    You're lucky to land a bluefin before you ever landed a mack. In the 99 season, the ratio I had was one bluefin hook up to every 16 mack tuna. That's a lot of macks to wade through. Got a 22.5kg cobe too.
    Oh yeah, and I also played out a 25kg plus bluefin in the arvo by myself, washed him up on the rocks, only to have another come up and wash him back and wrap the leader on some cunjie. That year we were getting them till middle of August. Hopefully this year will last that long too!
    Anyway, well done on your fish mate. You've certainly been doing very very well for yourself. Keep it up.
    PS. It may not be the best year for cobes. We fished the trailerboat comp (got lucky and won & 3rd in the tuna section with bluefin) but with 480 boats, only two cobes landed - 15 & 2 kg.
    Wes

Saen,

Mate I have to say you are MAD for using braid off the stone and especially fireline! That stuff hates rock at the best of times and really is an inferior gsp compared to what else is on the market. LBG really is the realm of mono and I think you can see why after your weekend jaunt. Losing that much braid in one weekend is a big hit in the hip pocket.

That said I must say top effort in tough conditions. That looks like atleast a 5kg fish of not more. Good for a mack! I hit the stones not far from you and didn't pull up crap. The water looked a little dodgy on monday and was devoid of life. It's good to see that the mack tuna have finally decided to turn up. Puts a little hope into the season. It's still far from over with the average season running into June. There were good numbers of fish around Coffs last weekend too so give it another and they should be in our part of the world.

Interested to know there weren't that many blokes on the rocks over easter. The main reason I stayed away was because I thought they'd be chockers.

How did you go with getting slimies? They have been a little tough to get over the last few weeks even though they are ever present. I love the fact that the garies are in big numbers there. Once the blues turn up they won't leave that's for sure.

Might give the spot a look on the weekend. Have a mate from out west down and it would be good to get him onto a speedster!

Cheers
    Stephan

I agree with Stephan Saen, fieline ot braids are a no go on the stones buddy, did ya get my pm? This post seems to be the new lbg room lol.