Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The great shark hunt

Re: The great shark hunt

Dont know about up yourway, but in Tassie you are not allowed to use any mammal by products as burley
    cheers
    blaze

Dont need blood anyway, half a tuna or a bottle of tuna oil with a hole in it will do.

I'll be at Moreton on the 30th, does shore based count???

Hmmm could put the hilux to use...

kris

sharkbait

you can burrow my line and hook #

metal braid breaking strain of some 4 tons
    specially hardened 40/0 hook #
    chande over reels to a hilux
    "whats the time"

Keep those Greenies guessing. Where ??? at Batemans Bay

Move on > my mind is made up VOTE 1 FISHING PARTY . Bring on the little morsels

Burley:

I took a wander into me local fishmongers and asked what they did with all the blood and guts.

Upshot is, at that shop anyway, if u drop a bucket off with a day or two's notice, they'll fill it with guts, blood and any other fish crap they usually dump.

Might be the same with your local fishie. I'll be dropping a couple of them big white buckets with VERY tight fitting lids off before the Great Expedition.

Cheers,

R

I used to fish on one of Sydneys most reliable Shark Boats in comps. We've hooked and weighed huge Tigers, Whalers and Makos. People who know me, also know I snapped my arm in gaff ropes on a 111Kilo Mako after we'd hooked it for 9 hours on 10 Kilo tackle.

Please take care, even with small sharks when you use Gaff ropes on a boat. The buggers will go into a death roll at the boat and wrap their way up the ropes.

Burley wise.. IGFA, which I know a lot of you don't fish (by the rules) prohibits the use of mammal blood and body parts for burley, so if you intend to weigh one for points, stick to fish. Effective burleys are minced fish frames, we almost always used boxes of Mullet.. we'd chop the heads and tails off and drop them over for the deeper Tigers and then burley pot the frames for Makos and Whalers. If you are fishing in a bay, you won't have to worry about this.

If anyone wants a deckie for this trip with some knowledge of rigging baits on wire (I have rigs made up) and a couple of BIG flying gaffs.. simply send me a PM. I'd prefer to fish out of a bigger boat if we are after the big Tigers in Moreton that I've heard about, as a 200+ Kilo Tiger and a 15 foot tinny is a silly idea best filmed from a distance !!!

Cheers

Wayne

October 30 is proving popular. To make things more simple and cater to those with big plans inc overtime battles organising a meet after has been scrapped, some are also keen to fish through the night.

The list of boats fishing is increasing, great to see many getting involved.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..

***I'd prefer to fish out of a bigger boat if we are after the big Tigers in Moreton that I've heard about, as a 200+ Kilo Tiger and a 15 foot tinny is a silly idea best filmed from a distance !!!***

Ill go along with that Wayne

Rob

if it is the 30th I'm out. have a trip already organised. will keep checking post

Michael

im in if anyone needs a deckie. my deckie (car driver) is working that day :-(

anyone after a deckie let me know

cheers phil
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

Im delfinatley keen for the 30th if anyone is searching for a deckie with a little experience in shark fishing let me know

cheers tom

The 30th sounds good for us, at the moment it looks like we'll have a full boat, but dad might not come so there's the possibility for another crew member.
    What weight lines will people be using? We've either got 8 or 24kg, i think 8 will lead to a pretty long fight and 24 might be overkill, what do others think?

Cheers, C.J. Maycock

bidkev

I'm buggered for the 30th :-( Deckie is working and I'm stuck with the kids. Bollocks!

CJ, 24 is perfect, there is no such thing as overkill in shark fishing

Kev, you will be missed, if anyone was going to show how its done it was you.

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by mackmauler
    CJ, 24 is perfect, there is no such thing as overkill in shark fishing

Kev, you will be missed, if anyone was going to show how its done it was you.
    Cheers Rob, I'm working on her taking a sickie.........she's only got 9 weeks of the buggers saved but she seems to prefer nursing to deckying :-)