Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how to eat stingray

Re: how to eat stingray

along the lines of what Chris said I was told by one of my friends who worked next door to the Sydney fish markets that they sold rays there along with a free 'scallop punch', so the fish and chip shops could turn them into Tasmanian scallops. At a lot of the clubs you'll find if you have scallops they are a beautifully even round shape with flat tops and bottoms and no orange roe anywhere to be seen. Q. Guess where they came from (A. not from the south island.)

so what no good to eat you guys rekon? was just interested ... thanks for the feedback

A few Chinese restaurants back where I come from in Ohio were caught doing that; selling stingray meat as scallops. Easy way to tell the difference: in real scallops the grain of the flesh runs top to bottom. In punched out stingray meat, it goes sideways. If it can be passed off as scallops, it can't be that bad.

I think they are good to eat, so I'd recommend at least trying it. Similar to shark/flake, which isn't surprising since they are closely related. If you don't like it, don't eat it again obviously. I think the smaller ones are better, and not tough at all unless overcooked. You can read a zillion different opinions on here but you'll never know for sure until you try it.

Quote Originally Posted by onionpants
    A few Chinese restaurants back where I come from in Ohio were caught doing that; selling stingray meat as scallops.
    A chinese restaurant down Tweed Heads way, had Ibis heads and legs in their rubbish bin.

Wonder why they wasted the legs and heads.

Rajah,

the best story along those lines came out of new york about 20-25 years ago. The NY cops were alerted to a body on the road. Picked it up and took it to the morgue. Whoever had dumped it had skinned it completely. Perhaps to prevent identification.

the pathologists worked out it was not a human but a gorilla. it had died at a zoo or such. A hamburger restaurant had bought it as a 'casualty' gorilla, skinned it, and it was to be turned into good ol' yankee 'burgers but fell out of the back of the van on the way.
    The 'ray' scallops are on a par with that sort of burger.

turkey_beach_boy

Why eat them jimmyjam when your in gladstone we eat reef fish here mate

Surely there are better things to catch in Gladstone.......which I was up that way!!!!!! No offence meant.

in europe it is a highly regarded fish, known as skate
    next thing we will be eating squid!!!

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by Burley_Boy
    One day Kingtin I hope to catch up with you camping on an Island up the pin area and a shovely or the like on the barbie and then I'd rock up with the tribe and we'd find out what these strange creatures are all about I'm sure they all wash down well with amber liquid in any case!
    Mate, *anything* washes down well with amber liquid as far as I'm concerned Yet to try a sea cucumber though

kev

G'day Jimmyjam,

I have never tried one as I have always been very wary of that tail.

But if your brave enough to risk getting hit with the tail then I say give it a go.

I think Onionpants has the right idea re this.

Give it a go and find out for yourself .

Everyones tastes are different.

Just because some people don't care for it doesn't mean that you won't like it.

I personally see nothing wrong with Shovel Nosed rays and actually quite enjoy eating the old Fork Tailed catfish.

However I know plenty of people who hate the taste of both.

Do yourself a favour and try it for yourself.

And be careful of that tail.

Louis

As the guys say, it is all about personal taste.

I have tried it many years ago and remember enjoying it.

I really enjoy black tip reef shark too, I personally think its better than some mackeral i have eaten.

It cant be that bad, sheesh, people eat liver, kidney and tongue from cows. Why would you eat something that makes urine?? or something that can taste you back as you are eating it? Now that is disgusting, on a personal level.

Give it a try I say

yeah i know theres heeps of reef fish to be caught just interested to see what is tastes like... not like i want to target them and eat sting ray once a week!

yeah i know theres heeps of reef fish to be caught just interested to see what is tastes like... not like i want to target them and eat sting ray once a week!

smoke them, everything taste good smoked!

Shovelnose sharks are great to eat as far as I'm concerned. I've only caught one, from the Jetty at Jacobs Well. But I ate it and thought it was as good as any "normal looking" fish. I definitely wouldn't mind targeting shovelnose sharks, anyone know of a land based spot that might work?