Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Tassie Bluefin

Re: Tassie Bluefin

Hi Mick & Brian
    Ye good to see this post going so long, I would talk more often if typing was'nt such a pain in the .... We have a club day this weekend, hope the weathers alright only fishin estuarries though. just lifted the screen on the old tub 10 inches to try and keep out the winter chills. wanted a cheap gps, is sold.com the place to be or not. anyway bedtime, need beauty sleep
    catch ya
    blaze
    Ps brian
    no news on the snapper yet

Gday Blaze

Mate dont feel ashamed mate i have to get me cat to type for me as she types quicker then i do....

Mate gps hey what sort of gps you after mate you just after a chart plotter or just a plain gps mate

it seems that germain gps are the way to go #as far as gps go... i am using a navman gps plotter 900 which set me back 900 bucks but its worth it having a gps...

I would try ebay as thats the most popular auction site on the net blaze and Someone from Hobart is selling a Garmain gps it looks in good nick mate but as for that style of gps you could one brand new around the 4-5hundred dollar mark anyway

i will keep my eye out for ya blaze if i heare of any then i will let ya know buddy....

estury fishing hey where abouts you heading arthurs or just around smithton????

anyway cheers blaze and feel free to speak more often as i said the cat types for me gee my pussy is a smart feline hey

Mick

gday mick and blaze..well mick it sounds like im not the only crazy one...blaze i think that we are going to freeze for sure on sat it is just about snowing down here in hobart.. its suposed to be coming fine sat but sunday looks like it will be the better day...(decisions.. decisions)...blaze thanks for the update mate let me know how you go on the weekend mate when you get time..thanks for keeping in touch as it is good to have some one up north to let me know when the king fish and snapper start to run...mick you wont have to worry about sharing a rod mate as i hate the idea of that myself...mate i was thinking last night how you have a closed season over there on snapper i am just wondering how long before we get that sort of thing over here.. as it stands here at the moment the only scale fish that we have a closed season on to my knowledge is the banded morwong...mate i wonder what fish it would be,and would it be nesicary with all the marine parks we have allready in place... ??? do you have many marine parks over there mate ???,and are snapper the only scale fish with a closed season ???and is it closed to the pro fisherman as well as recreational ???...mate i am full of questions tonight so i better leave you for tonight before i think of more...ps mate didnt get to the post office on time the day before last, and when i say im going to do something on a certain day or time it is almost certain that i will.. anyway mate it was no big deal..see ya for now mate,talk again soon and hope you have a good trip blaze.....brian

Gday Brian

Mate we have a murray cod closure which i think closes in the next couple of weeks and ends around christmas time and as i said we have a closed snapper season twice a year....

Mate Dont get me wrong brian about the tuna trip mate I was just mentioning a dislike of mine really and it was away to clear my mind that is what you want as well mate becuase the thing is its big money to coff up just between the 2-3 of us mate and we have to be happy to do that as i said i am happy to spend 200 bucks for the day....

Anyway mate never hold off the questions mate if i cant answer them over one post i will certainly answer them over a few post mate....I see it its the only way to learn...

I have read just about all those reports mate that ya sent me So whens the next lot coming

Mate it was actually interesting reading what Darren Sherrif or whats his name from up north who wrote the article on Catching the Snapper...The thing is what he wrote about is rather true in a sense i dont think he fishes it to the full potential as he should by the way i read it.......but it was rather good story just the same

I also read the small article on The Big Pig Mate the way i read that it was a charter boat from Victoria......

Another report was From Adam Hill on the Southern Bluefin Tuna Very good article I can remember when Adam started out his days in tackle industry down at sorell and then moving outside Shop at eastland and now Situated next the knives shop....
    I find Adam to be very friendly and will Speak to anyone I can remember last time i was back home i walked into the shop and he said to me hows South oz that blew me away bit becuase i didnt think he would remember my face at all...

Rocky carrosis repot Well he is a very interesting guy i actually like the way he thinks about Tuna fishing he is always thinking of ways of catching the tuna wether it is cubing or live baiting very talented charter guy....but rather good report from Rocky

I also like the thoughts on bluefin from the top anglers from the state...Some names there i don't know but Ashley and david Hallem they really havent been around the game for years and suddenly bang still in the high light last time i heard Ashley was woring for a pro.....

Mate very good read and i thankyou mate considerably mate i now maybe just looking at the end of april-early may.....

Mate i am absolutely astounded really you havent caught an albacore yet mate that was my first tuna mate and then was the bluefin but also i am still yet to catch a yellowfin mate and what i have heard the guy up in NSW are having hard time of catching yellowfin so who knows whats happening wether they will show up more or not...

anyway i better go so i will catch ya later brian

Mick

Hi guys
    the club day
    Species Caught
    samon, tailor, pike, gurnard, flathead, port jackson, squid, wrasse & swell shark (i hav'nt seen them before & was'nt closer enough to get a good look about 800mm long)
    Samon only small upto 350mm but plenty to be had on bait, would not take lures or flies, I got one unlucky one on plastic.
    Species Lost
    Gummy, Numerous lost at boat
    and the boat about 10m from me lost what would seem to be the first snapper for the year(hook broken)
    4 boats 10 fishermen fun had by all
    weather perfect temp in the morning about 2 degrees. should'nt be to much longer Brian, i will keep ya posted

gday mick...mate we had a great day down here in tassie took my boat down this morning great conditions..i caught 1 trumpeter about 4.5 kg it was the only one for the day... but we caught a nice feed of perch and gurnard.. mate there was not a seal to be seen all day..we lost a couple of trumpeter should have had 3....mate they were hard to find to day every time the baits hit the bottom the gurnard were straight on to them, i rekon that we threw about 1000 of them back.. man my hands are so sore from spikes and hand line burn,but it was worth it we had a great day...mick i have sent you a email... a phamplet i got off the counter at the takle shop tell me if you couldnt read it cause yiu now how good i am at sending emails ....mate i dont know if i have confused you but the big pig is charter boat from eagle hawk neck.. and he has a great reputation for finding fish...mate if i have sent it propilly you can read about it and give me your thoughts,check out the price mate i think it is a bargain cause he only takes 4 max but at that price mate i dont think that we would bother taking any more than 3 thats at the very most...anyway mate i got home today and joanne got me a video to watch and guess what mate it is called...john kenny.. whyalla's giant snapper...have you seen it mate ???...mate if the pictures on the cover are anything to go by mate it will be a great video,i will watch it tommorow...mate i just remembered when i said to you about catching only blue fin i didnt mention that we caught some stripped tuna in my boat a couple of years ago...so i supose that i did start at the begining as far as tuna go.. mate i will really be busting my guts this year to catch a yellow and a albacore...mate i am going to save all the new reports from now on. and when i've got about a months worth i will send them over to ya...also mate i was hoping that you would see what i mean about early april probibly not being the best time for tuna... mate like you said mate i think may-early june is the best..but having said that it could be differant next year who knows... anyway mate i hope that you had a good night fishing tonight and i will hopefully talk to you again soon mate...... brian

gday blaze...mate thanks the report i was hopeing you would get back to me about how it went... mate i had a great day today also...it sounds good news about the snapper also.. mate i am really looking forward to have a go at them..mate as you know mick is hopeing to get down to tassie this tuna season and we are going to organise a charter.. mate april may is a long way away i know.. but i thought i would let you now that you are more than welcome to come with us..we are probbibly only going just the two of us but a third person mate would be great...anyway mate you dont have to commit yet cause it is a long way off yet.... thanks again blaze....brian

Gday Brian

Mate what a night it was last night not one mothery at all...we anage a pj and one lizard.....it was an interesting night just the same but it was scary stuff coming back to the ramp at midnight made ran aground about twice becuase it was a very dead lw tide...

Mate Just thinking why you may not have been getting many stipies mate yesterday that you may have head your baits close on the ground what i find when chasing strpie trupeter mate is to lifet the baits of the ground and this means less bites but means you should get stripies if they are there...

Mate i look foraward to the pamphlet ya sending me via email.....

Mate you havent confused me mate in one of those reports you sent me i thought i read that it came from vic.....Mate the more you tell me about this guy the more i like.....4 people max very good So if it is only the 2 of us and if blaze comes along we would be very comfortable i reckon...

Anyway i better go mate as i still have the boat to clean up....

Mick

gday mick..mate running aground must have been a bit of worry ..did you do any damage ???....mate i dont know how far you recon the first bait should be from the bottom,but the rigs i make i have the first hook about 5ft from the bottom,second about 6ft and third hook about 7ft..what do you recon about that ???mate i just finished watching that video i told you about and they caught there bag limit 2 days in a row..mate they were huge i couldent beleive it they drove the gaff into where ever it landed through the back of them anywhere real sloppy work i thought..anyway mate other than that it wasent to bad,it showed a bit about whyalla as well...mate you should have already got that email of that phamplet unless i stuffed it up again you know what im like...mate i forgot to tell you about something that happened to me yesterday..we set a cray pot yesterday and we baited the rope up with some 4 hooks for strippies all were attached to the rope with shark clips.. any way mate i lowered it down until it landed on the bottom,there was about 14ft of rope to spare so i thought no worries and threw the bouy over ..no worries i watched it loose rope floating on the surface so i was just about to drive off and as i did the bloody thing started to go under..shit so i drove over and it was about 5ft under so i grabed the gaff and just as i went to hook it it started to disapper flattout..now i know what you are going to say the same as i said it must have fell off a ledge right...wrong mate now this is the weird part remembering that i watched the bouy disapeer straight down out off sight....after all this happened we went off fishing for about 6 hours....we came back past the area were we had set the pot on the way home and guess what there sitting on top of the water was my pot bouy jeusus crist mate and #@*& me dead if im lying i cannot explain it...we thought about it all the way home mate we thought about current doing it but ruled that out because the bouy went straight down not of to the side as you would emagin..there is no way a fish of an kind could have done it cause the clips were only set into the rope no more than 10ft from the pot..weird stuff mate what do you recon happened.....ps... mate the pot was in about 80meters of water at the time... any way mate better go now as you probibly think i have really lost the plot and i got a few things to do before bed so till next time mate see ya latter..... brian

Gday Brian

Mate I wasnt the only one to run aground last night either mate my mates neighbour was out last night as well and he said he came a cropper as well .3 tide mate just enuff to float the boat the funny thing to it all i have done this 100 times before this was in the deepest point in the inlet mate lucky it was only sand through where it happend as where i did was at a speed boat racing club so it was rather clean anyway i had a good look over the hull no damage as i wasnt going all that quick mate through there as i know the dangers of the inlet and only a bit of paint work of the skegg of the motor so all in all i was very lucky mate.....Mate where i was is like Marion Bay in Tassie mate heading out throu the channels to give you a little idea If you come over to adelaide one day mate i will take ya out there and give you a bit of squiz at what we have to contend with over here.....Some places ya have to have a tractor to luanch......

Mate it sounds like that vid isnt a bad one but its is sad to see people just gaff a fish anywhere...But i put it down to not enuff gaff ezperience or never shown or seen a gaff being used.....

Mate Whyalla Mate its really great fishing mate but the only problem is getting a knuckle amongst the squire mate......

Mate what i reckon it was that took ya float under could have most likey 2 things a seal or shark there they only 2 possibilites it could be and as the way you explained it to me i predict it was a seal...if you have seen what actually how seals attack the fish when hooked at the surface they take of slowly and then take of in a sudden burst....I could be very well wrong but it would have been either a seal or shark...

Mate your rig you use for stripie fishing gee you have your baits spread out a bit....but those where just my thoughts on the stripies anyway..

Mate i havent been able to download the email yet as there is 1 email that is pretty big and my isp doesnt allow big files to enter my mailbox...I hope its not your email i have to get them to delete so i can access my mail....But don't stress mate it isnt your fault i cant recieve it.....bloody computers mate....

anyway catchya later brian i am rather tired myself after last night

cheers
    Mick

gday mick..mate i can imagine what you must go through if it is anything like marion bay over there..mate marion bay is not one of my fav places i have almost run aground there several times and thats even before you get to the narrow part.. actually i think the narrows itself is not to bad on a calm day,on a bad day as you know it can be real scary,its one of the only places that i am not ashamed to admit that i try to avoid going to...mate i dont know about your shark seal theory cause like i said mate the hooks only had small baits on them and none were bitten off and you would think that if something grabed a fish that was hooked it would only be able to pull the bouy under the depth of the highest hook..and mate i watched it dissaper at least 40 ft straight down.. any way mate i think i will have to put that one down to the unexplaneible......mate im sorry about that email i have no idea what i done to you this time ...mate i will put it in the mail and send it to ya..i think that would be a lot safer...anyway mate im a bit weary tonight i had big day at work today so i think it is time for the bed...till next time mate....brian

Gday Brian

Mate you dont need to send me it in the email i was able to download your email fine this time you did everything correct this time it was a mate of mine that sent me this huge file not that he did it on purpose or anything its just that with my email i am limited to 2 meg limit to emails i recieve and his was 4 meg thats tasmanians for ya mate so dont panic mate as you know i just wasnt sure what email was causing me the problem and thankfully it wasnt yours in the end..

Mate I am pretty impressed at the look of the big pig it would have to be the smallest charter boat operating down there at the moment....but it really looks impressive mate i would be happy to spend a day or 2 on the big pig....
    Mate give him a call for us and have a bit of chat with him about when he thinks would be the best time...i just would like to get hear about his thoughts and attitude towards fishing mate if you know what i mean....
    Mate the reason why i like to get the info is becuase it helps me decide wether it is a good ride or not... many years ago i stuffed up with a charter on thr flying fish 2 he wasnt a bad bloke but he was a bit gunho in ways.....

Mate Marion is pretty easy mate for what i can remember its just a matter of sticking to the channel markers....mate where i was coming through is usually pretty good on a low tide which usually it has a depth of 1.2 at its lowest but the other night it was very low and the lowest i seen it and as there is no channel markers it makes it hard to navigate through the night......Mate night fishing in the boat is rather good fun but is pretty scarey....Me mate said to me this is strange you know this of the back of ya hand and i thought i did i was even following the same plot as i did coming out of there as i have a chart plotter...Mate there is some scarey channels over here mate like to get to some of the big snapper grounds you have to travel through 5-10k channels and there is no short cuts either.....But you get used to them but i would never battle these of the night thou if i went out of the night over at some of these good snapper ground i would be out there till morning.....

Mate if you didnt realise i was out to 12 midnight in the boat saturday night and running a ground at midnight aint fun.....but the thing is you have to chalk these things up toexperience....a bit of it was my fualt in ways as i didnt really take much notice of tides i wish i did now as i prooly would have come back in a couple hours later....or head to another ramp that wasnt as bad...

Mate well i dont really know what would have happened mate with that story mate i believe ya and it must be the unexplainable thing mate....

Anyway mate i went out trout fishing today for a couple of hours and got 3 fish all brown but they were like sardines mate i got talking to a couple of anglers that where there and they didnt even get a sniff at a fish so i was happy with my effort i lost about 4 fish as well....

anyway mate i better go mate as i am bit tired myself and talk soon mate and i will talk with my fiance about booking a trip to tassie....

cheers

Mick

gday mick..mate im pleased to know that it wasent my email that was the problem,mate i was blaming joanne anyway cause i still dont know how to do it so i get her to do it for me...mate i will ring up this weekend about the best time in his opinion for you to come over..i will also explain that you are coming all the way from s/a so that way he will hopefully put a bit more thought into it instead of booking us into a time that suits him...mate i dont think he is like that anyway mate everybody i have spoke to recomends him not only as a good operator but a top bloke aswell...mate dont even start me on the subject of the flying fish...mate gunho you are to kind... he was a lunatic mate i went on that boat after answering a a add in the paper from some bloke wanting to arange a crew to go on on this boat.. i rang him and aranged to met the rest of the crew on the day at the warfe at port arthur... anyway mate i got there on the day and met the other blokes in the car park and then went down to the boat..mate i was straight away impressed with the boat,but mate as soon as we got out of port my attatude towards him changed for the worst...he only new 1 speed and that was flat out in what was close to a 3 meter swell,and being a fast boat he proceded to launch it of every wave he could..there was some not so young blockes on bourd and they were hanging on for dear life...anyway mate in all i thought he showed a total lack of regard for his paying customer and i dont think he knew the first thing about trolling for tuna,and i dont think he could wait for the day to be over..that was my impession anyway...i actully heard sometime later that he spat a customer straight out the back off it somewhere around tasman..and i wouldent doubt it either..mate i have already sent that mail but i doesent mater mate because i dont think i sent you that price list from the new spirit so i have sent that with it mate so it wont be a total waste...good to hear that you were out chasing them trout mate,i still havent been trout fishing yet i still have the salt in my veins,and the cray diving opens in another 2 months..so i dont know that i will bother with them this year mate cause between the diving and chaseing the albacore- yellow fin after cristmas i think i would be just throwing money away....anyway mate thats about all for now from me i think i will go and get in the good books with the ball and chain before i tell her that i want to go fishing again this satarday.....till next time mate....brian

Gday Brian

Mate the fly fish well he really only lasted a season as i heard he went bankrupt...anyway i also knew his deckie fairly well as he was my cousins cousin...but you are right mate he only knew one speed flat out......mind you it wasnt a bad looking rig for an ex cray boat.....

Mate The big pig Sounds like a ripper of a boat mate and what you are telling me i am liking it more and more.....Mate i trust your judgement on him as well i dont think we have to worry to much as the way you speak of him he is a creative fisho.....

Mate i i wont be doing much fishing over the next month as i am saving hard to fish a convention on the october long weekend here in South Oz at Port hughes Which can be another place for some good knuckles mate....I am estimate my costs over this weeken to be about 500 bucks by the time i fish for 3 days with 100 litres a day approx and food accom and a bit of drinking money....So i will be really really looking forward to it....This wil be the first time I will be doing any distance work with the boat as most of my fishing has been done close to shore i will be looking at heading about 20-30k of shore....

anyway mate i better go as i am getting tired and i will chat soon

Mick

gday mick..mate wnen you say that you are fishing a convention is that a competition or something..or is it a club thing...anyway mate it sounds like a great few days i hope you get to go mate...20-30k mate you sure are going out a long way..... mate whats the go out there mate how deep is it out there i sure hope its not as deep as our water over here mate because if it is you can leave your rods at home and pack a deck winch .. anyway mate it sounds like you wouldent be out there by your self..there would be other boats there if you had troubles.......mate im having a bit of trouble finding someone to fish with this weekend..i got the ok of the wife last night to go..actually she said....do what ever you want....so i took that as a yes..i will ask about again tommorow i now a bloke who will go it is just a matter of tracking him down...i have got some proper strippie hook i am keen to try out mate they are the ones the pro's use on there drop lines..they are weird looking hooks mate they are abit like a tuna circle but the point of the hook actually curves right back round and points downwards..but i have been assured that they are the greatest deep water hook ever invented.... any way mate i will run a couple with the other hooks and see what my thoughts are........well mate its that time of the night again.... so till next time mate.........brian