Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Tassie Bluefin

Re: Tassie Bluefin

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    Hi brain66 & ozdevil
    I would'nt mind catching up with brain66 and doing a spot of fishing down south when the weather warms some. there are a few members in the Circular Head Sportfishing Club http://www.tassie.net.au/~roblazel/ talking about a trip down south later this year. Any way You Guys have a real thing going here and I loved the blue fin and if you ever come up north Smithton we can go and catch a snapper or 2
    Gday Blaze

Mate checked out ya website last night pretty good but really needs some stuff placed in it looks pretty bare.......

Mate i dont know wether ya got my instant message or not

Mate i dont know wether ya know my late uncle Peter Brown and his wife Pat who had a farm out at tigari then moved closer to Irish town and philip and russel Kay and Malcom brown.......

Mate ya not calling them snapper in those pics are ya gee mate thats what i would call a squire...there is 3 categories we put snapper into ruggers,squire and then snapper.....mate just the same still good squire....

I actually dont live in Tasmania as i live in South Oz mate.. i used to live in Hobart for 27 years...born and bred in Hobart.....But it is good to catch up on whats happening in Tassie and talking to people back in Tassie.....

Blaze i would be very interested in where abouts and what the bottom is like for these squire mate up that way as Snapper really is an unknown to tassie.....And i maybe able to help improve a few methods for ya in the way we go about it here in S.A

cheers

mick

gday mick .today i took some old fish magazines to read at work and what do ya now mate.the first one i opened had a feature about snapper in port pirie.mate it went on to say about artificial reefs made from piles of old car tyres. mate do you fish there ???it also goes on to say that using snapper flesh to catch snapper is a big no no. same goes for using berly to attract them dont use snapper frames.mate it also has some gps co-ordinates of reefs and wrecks.(fishing world march 1997).... mate what a day we have had here today land gale winds gusting to 100 kph. but im getting used to it now.. mick i hope blaze comes back i think i might be able to learn a bit about fishing for these snapper up there.. by the way mate in your post to him you mention photos. (where i couldnt find any.)oh well mick that about does it for tonight..see ya mate have a good weekend ....brian

Gday Brian

Mate Pt Pirie is a couple of hours out of adelaide I havent fished there yet.....There is alot of South Australia i still have to explore and its all takes time...I have been to port Pirie once on my way through to whyalla Just for a poke around mate.....

But artifical reefs do hold Snapper and are very affective..This is one reason Brian i suggested earlier in one of my posts about gps once you have marks you just punch them in follow a highway to the spot and it wil bring you very close to where your spose to be instead of going by land markings all the time.....

Mate I cant wait till they sink the hmas Hobart down at wirrina which is about 70k out of Adelaide and hopefully i cna find out the dates of them sinking her as i wouldnt mind going down and punching in my gps the marks as this will be another place that may hold snapper in time...

Tassie is well behind the times as far as artifical reefs are concerned in my opinion as it is great way to hold a lot of fish.......

Mate it is very true do not use snapper for burley or Bait the quickest way of turning snapper away.... Baits well the best is live bait.... If using bait get Blocks of Pilchards squid Tommy Ruff Whiting heads (Whiting well you will have to buy whole KG Whiting for this one mate and chop the heads of).....

Mate i am still doing up a few rigs(I am not putting Sinkers on Mate becuase of Packaging) i am mixing the hook sizes becuase if they are only ruggers mate then using big hooks can mean you might miss out on a fish...So if ya going to be using say 2 rods you could set up for ruggers and for the bigger fish cos if the fish are only small and you put out 2 baits out for big snapper you then could be in for a big wait...I hope you understand what i am saying there...

Mate Snapper fishing you have to put the hours in and the effort mate... What i mean by this can mean staying out over night to get the results.....Mate when you start going for these snapper mate you will get dissapointed occasionaly as you have put the hard yards in... you just have to prepared to spend money on burley and bait and working towards moon tides and this is going to take time....Mate i am still learning how to snapper fish and I am just lucky i live where i am close to snapper fishing...

Mate I am not saying this to put you off going for a snapper just letting ya know what you will be in for....As time goes by i am more then happy to help ya as you know mate so that you dont have to put the hard yards in and ya can get out and get a fish

Another thing Brian I know ya love ya diving and all that have you thought of upgrading ya tinny to say a half cab or a cuddy mate????

Brian I saw the pics on the website Blaze provided http://www.tassie.net.au/~roblazel/hotspots/robins.html
    I hope ya dont mind me doing that Blaze....

Mate well my fishing has shut down for the next 3 weeks due to family arriving gotta showem around adelaide.....

Mate yeah i know about the wind and all that my folks gave me a call earlier and said it was pretty bad and they are looking forward to there holiday in adelaide......

Mate I am pretty well an unhappy man for the next few months Becuase we have a closed season on Snapper in the spencer gulf which is like the closed season on trout....and then we have another closed season on them in the st vincent gulf....so till the end of the year snapper fishing is pretty well out of the question...

anyway mate i have baffled on a bit tonight and i have prolly put ya off going for snapper now after what i have said......Oh by the way Does the mag tell yell what type of structures and that to look out for other then the artificial ones????

anyway catchya later buddy

cheers

mick

dgay mick... mate it would take a lot more than that to turn me of any form of fishing. for me mick fishing is more than a pastime its more of an obsesion;if im not actually fishing im thinking about fishing.mate i think the more difficult it is the more rewarding it is. the more i listen to advice and methods from you and others the better prepared i can be..i beleive fisherman that are not prepared to listen and learn from other fishos will never be good fisherman....i also think if fishing wasnt so frustrating and still so much to learn i think i would grow tired of it...mate in regards to trading in the dinghy iv'e actually been full circle as far as boats go i started out in a 12ft fiberglass dinghy when i was 17 years old and the rest reads like this:14ft savage alum......15ft half cab pleasure craft.....16ft tas rover...17ft pride cuddy cab... and now back to 4.10 ally craft...mate iv'e just never been able to decide what kind of fisho i really am.at the moment im going through that bigger must be better stage.. when i brought the ally 12 months i had to make a dicission i had a total of $6000.00 and not 1 cent more (wifes words). i decided that i should buy new so as to hopefully avoid any of the problems that you sometimes get when buying 2 hand .... mate i dont know if it makes any sence but i thought it did at the time. as you now mick unless you get real lucky you dont get much of a rig for that money and as i take the wife and kids out sometimes i didnt want to risk it..mate its actuly not a bad dive rig either it suprised me. we dont dive with tanks we use a compressor and we have actully had 2 divers come over the side at the same time with no trouble..just dont know mate some days i wish i had an ocean liner and on other days when money is tight i think my self lucky that can go fish with out a huge fuel bill... anyway mate i think iv'e convinced myself...mate the other thing the mag said was to fish the drop offs..mate idont bugger all about gps but it sounds to me like im going to have to in the future. mate i dont know if this means any thing to ya but its gunna be good typing practice so here goes .....port germein communitty wreck.....S33 03 27.E 137 59 80 this structure is large concreate pipes and metal flues.... port pirie community wreck ....S33 05 09. E 137 54 43. ....pyramids of tyres....and the entrance. S33 03 25. E 137 57 90. this is a area where a gutter fedding gemein bay meets with a dredged channel for port pirie shipping and says here it is a schooling area for snapper....mate that was probbibly a lot of usless info but ya never now ay... well mick that will be enought jibberish out of me for on night... look after ya self mate......brian

Gday Brian

Mate I know what ya mean about boats mate...18months ago i brought my boat and i was sitting there just having a bit of think before i brought a boat as i was in 2 minds wether to buy 2nd hand or brand new...With the Money i had i could have brought a boat up to 200,000 dollars so you could imagine what boats i had in mind at the very beginning...but i sat back and said if i brought that Gameboat i would have to live on the dam thing not that it would worry me but then i have to think of my lady and the future...then i thought as seeing thou its my first boat i would only spend a few grand to start of with...anyway as the months drew on i wasnt getting anywhere so i wayed up the options

1 the 200000 dollar craft
    2 few grand boat
    3 brand new

i chose 3

Reason why i chose 3 was that i was buying my own problems and no one elses.....My boat is a 17 foot seafarer with a 90 on the back of her...

All up my package cost around 34000 time i brought gps and few other bits and pieces.....

Anyway Those marks brian it didnt happen to mention wether they are in wgs84 or agd66 did they as those gps marks will mean nothing if they aint in wgs 84 to me...it could mean that i end up on dry land if i punch them in as is.....

Mate about the gps it may seem i am pushing you about one....i am like you in ways Brian it has taken me 18 months to work my out and still learning about the dam thing....But Mate I wouldnt be with out one now....

You are right mate if your not fishing ya thinking about fishing......Mate i just love talking fishing mate i go on for hours and hours on the subject....

Mate my symptoms are getting bad mate i am starting to shake cos i cant get out there i wish my old man lied fishing as while he is over here i would have taken him out for a fish....

Mate i am actually looking forward to next month heading over to Stansbury which is about the same as it is from hobart to luanceston with my fishing club and it will give my lady a chance to catch up with her mother while i am out chasing the K.G Whiting and a few salmontrout(cockysalmon) and hopefully may find a few snapper....so thats in about 4-6 weeks away yet but looking forward to it already

Anyway i better head to bed as i have to do some chores around the house tommorow...

cheers
    Mick

jRe: Tassie Bluefin

gday mick..nice boat mate im impressed.i recon you would have to be pretty happy with that i dont really know what one looks like but it sounds good.... sorry mick i typed out exactly what was printed in the mag and it dont mention anything else like what you said. mate just out of intrest you mention stansbury and the distance is that the closest salt water fishing from where you live ???. mate the reason i ask is iv'e only ever been to melbourne....i was there last year and we hired a car and drove to ballarat thats as far as iv'e been. mate im thinking that i wouldnt like it over there it just seems to take to long to get any where... i dont know what ya recon mick but i think we are pretty lucky over here...anyway mick dont feel to bad about no fishing for 4 weeks... the fish will be 4 weeks bigger when you do get out there.....well mate i bloody well hate mondays so i think i will get a early night so as i might be not be so crabby tommorow... see ya for now mate ......brian

Gday Brian

Mate Stansbury is'nt the closet place to go fishing and it isnt rather that daunting as you can very well be out fishing with in 10 minutes depending on where ya live...It usually takes me 1/2 hour to get to my closet ramp.... Which is St Kilda or Garden Island if i leave from garden island its about a 15 minute run to get to the grounds i fish in adelaide.....or if i go from St kilda it takes only 5 minutes but garden island has the better ramp....

Mate Living here on the mainland is pretty scary at first specially if you dont know where anything is....Mate i couldnt live in melbourne myself but adelaide is just an over grown Tasmania except the weather is hotter......Like in Summer you can go upto 3 weeks straight where its 40 degrees straight and still climbing....

The Fishing is better in the Spencer gulf then in the gulf of St vincent for some silly reason...Alot of people just go for day trips to these places...Take walleroo Probably one of the most popular area's to fish in South Australia is prolly as far as hobart to Eaglehawk Neck away and is in the Spencer gulf....Adelaide is in the gulf of St Vincent just to give you an idea...

Mate Tasmania is pretty well lucky as far fishing goes you don't have to travel in great depths....

The thing what makes things worse on the mainland is Peak hour traffic not so bad here in S.A but can be daunting at times...

anyway i better hit the sack myself as i plan to head out Monday and have a fish while no other bugger is around......

anyway catchya later

Mick

gday mick.. mate hope you had a good day fishing...mick thats not as bad as i thought not to far to travel at all. mate you talk about st kilda you might be able to help answer a question.. when we went to melbourne we stayed in st kilda and and although i didnt have a fishing rod i did what any true blooded fisho would do i went straight to the st kilda pier to see what was going on....mate i saw these old timers fishing.... and unless im not mistaken.. with what looked like home made rods (real long) and unless iv'e really lost the plot mate they had no reels on them.... what is going on there mate i couldnt see any thing in there buckets and they didnt catch anything while i was watching ???.... ..mate i suppose you have been to the melbourne aquarium i did i liked it so much mate i had to go back again the next day..... mate im thinking if i ever win tattslotto i will get me a aquarium like that for the lounge room ...any way mick hope to hear a good report from todays fishing.....see ya latter mick....... brian

Gday Brian

Mate dont ask me anything on St Kilda Melbourne Mate i know nothing about fishing around there you would have to ask one of them mexicans that....

Adelaide also has a st Kilda mate not as good as st kilda in Melbourne.....

Mate i also havent been to Melbourne Aquarium at all i think the last time i was there they hadnt even opened it yet...

Mate I ended up going mate butthe sad story which i thought would be the case is the bloodworms are still about and the fish are filled up on them which meant my bait was no good for them...I did try a few metal lures out the back for a few salmon and a kingfish but no luck mate i was only out there for a 2-3 hours...Saw heaps of dolphins around the Port river and out around the gulf.....

anyway mate the fishing for me is dead for a couple of weeks the family is over visiting

anyway i better get an early one as i have a lot to do

cheers
    mick

gday mick... 2 st kilda,s mate you got me good that time. ....mate i notice that we have reached celebrity status... dont know what to think about that one ???...sorry to hear about ya trip mate i was expecting big things from ya....hope your folks arrived safetly and you enjoy your time with them... mate are you sure you cant take your dad fishing ??? or is he one of the unfortunate ones who just dont get it.. maybe mick you might be able to persuade him,, bribe him, drug him. any way mate im sure you will survive... getting late mate gotta go now .....ps... mate i will understand if you dont get as much time to reply with your folk being there and all.... cheers mate...... brian

Gday Brian

Mate yeah it totally blow me away yesterday morning when i read through the posts and i saw the on going Saga post my first thoughts where that it had to do with someone trying to prolly catch a fish....I dont think you need to be sorry for ya posts i think everyone is enjoying what we have going here and prolly wondering how in the hell do they get something like this started in the first place....

Mate i was expecting big things myself when i was out the other day but the main oblective was to get the boat out as its not going to get run for the next couple of weeks....

Mate My old man doesnt have the patients for fishing and he never has i actually don't know how i stumbled accross fishing...I think it was a time when a mate asked me to go fishing with him when the Hobart had the big snotty travelly runs off the hobart wharfs from then on i taught myself how to fish took myself fishing...I wouldnt Put my dad through a days fishin just becuase i know its not for him...but he loves eating fish

Mate speaking of St kiilda being 2 of them well South Oz has a cambell town and a richmond.......

Anyway mate i better go as the folks are crying to get to the shops....

cheers
    mick

Ausfish Addict

hey guys if u dont mind i would like to put my 2 bits in here. I started the post on going saga..been really enjoying reading ya chat.. well done. Hey oz like you I dont know when or how I started fishing. My old man was a professional then became the state secretary for qld fisheries. I can remember going with my older brothers at a ripe young age of 6 tho. Cant comment on the football down there tho..not really into it.. really enjoying the stories on fishing down south and the odd pic.. keep it up.. tight lines guys..and the best of health to u both
    cheers.

gday mick...mate i should have realised it would take more than half an hour to drive from south oz to st kilda.(melbourne)...anyway mick i wont be fishing this weekend im going to the tuna club dinner sat night..... and i will spend some time with the wife and kids on sunday so i can go and attack something next sat or sunday..... mate iv'e got a maybe helpfull tip for you....2 years ago i started keeping all the fishing reports out of the sunday paper..i keep them in order according to date_year.....now what i have is a fairly reliable fishing predictor and according to the last 2 years reports the time should be nearly right for the king fish, stipped trumpeter and morwong.....this is all in theory if you now what i mean.. it ran true to form last year.. any way mate i have decided to go with the trumpeter and perch theory and will be going down to get me some.(hows that for some positive thinking. any way mate that concludes my half of the show... till next time mate brian

Gday Jaybee

Mate no problem mate we don't mind ya putting ya 2 bits worth in mate........

Mate i dont follow the Football very much as i have always played Rugby union but i dont mind watching a game of ariel ping pong occasionally.....

Anyway jaybee thanks for you kind comments and if there is anything more you would like to add to our chat feel free to.....

It is good to chat with others and find out what is going on around the country

cheers
    mick

Gday Brian

Mate you a dead right this is the time for Tassie Trumpeter and probably the best Time of year really to get out there....Also John Taylors reports are usually 2 weeks behind before they are printed in the Sunday Tasmanian As i used to fish quite a bit with John Taylor.....

Mate Tuna Dinner mate Well at least its something to do with Fishing at least....

Anyway mate gotta go as i have to head into the city very shortly to pick my folks up from a concert....

Anyway try and have a reply for ya tommorow...oh by the way brian i may have conned the old man to come out fishing over the next week

anyway catch ya soon

mick