Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seaway cruise terminal a dead duck

gogecko

Seaway cruise terminal a dead duck

Interesting article in this weeks GC Sun newspaper.

It says marine experts have seen what happens when a 20kt wind catches a cruise liner bow and pushes it around. The bow ends up OVER the rocks, not just bumping into them. Since the possibility of 20 kts is there for 50-60% of the year, skipppers will not enter the port in such conditions. Even if the wind is low, they might not be able to leave the port on time if the wind gets up tomorrow. Skippers simply will not enter the port, for fear of danger. They also had concerns about depth.

The previous study was done by a shipping line, hardly independant. Im predicting that this might be the end of the matter. Peter Beattie might have to give up the plan.

A victory for commonsense?

gogecko

Re: Seaway cruise terminal a dead duck

I should add P&O will still be happy to enter the port.......

The Pacific Sky would make great reef structure, and at no cost to the taxpayer

just on the 92.5 news ...beaty govt have approved the terminal for the gc..will keep eye on the written word for confirmation.
    cheers terry (maztez)
    Cheers Tezza

Yep they also approved and gave a 2009 operational date for the one here in Townsville........

So what did premier pete win lotto or something.......
    May the winds blow lightly upon your sails
    May the seas buffet gently upon your hull
    May your chiller be full of piscatorial delights

It has major support behind the scenes and I think will go ahead - unfortunately.

It has been said by some of the anti lobby groups that once in operation, there will be no fishing, no diving and no paddling across the Seaway.
    I find that hard to believe - maybe there will be a closed period when the liners transit through - not sure at this stage.

Dave ><>

Quote Originally Posted by Bosunsmate
    Yep they also approved and gave a 2009 operational date for the one here in Townsville........

So what did premier pete win lotto or something.......

Peter is playing a game called . .........

I'll talk about anything but HEALTH........... Please dont mention HEALTH > > > > > >
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

I think commonsense will mean that no-one will paddle accross the Seaway when there is a liner in the way.
    I really wonder what the real impact will be. Just like the scare campaigns run when they were preparing the greywater discharge in the Seaway its hard to figure out fact from fiction in this debate.

Change will occur but what effect that change has on what we do probably depends on how well we lobby.. or?? Bugger I don't know do I!

Hey Nugget
    Looks like the Broadwater once again is going to be barstardized, all for the mighty dollar.
    When Wavebreak Island was put in, it stuffed up one of the best big whiting banks I ever fished,I didnt even have to go up the Nerang at all back then, it also took quite a number of years for the bream to come through again as well.
    When they dredged in front of the Sundale bridge (one of your favorite spots) it has never fished the same for Whiting, yes you can still get the odd one but the quality is poor.
    If anyone doubts my observations, I have 30 years of Club results to back up what I am saying.
    Now a Cruise Terminal, by news reports there going to dredge the guts out of the Seaway to 12 metres, under current new terrorist laws you wont be allowed within 50 metres of the berthed ship, and 30 metres with no ship there at all.
    These new laws have almost Shut down the Brisbane River to rec fishing, so just imagine how it will be in a couple of years time down the Broadie.
    There will have to be at least 1 or 2 tugs down there to berth the ship, imagine the dramas if the ship berths at night!!!
    There is probably another 50 reasons why there should'nt be a Terminal in the Seaway, but in the long run money talks and bullshit walks, and we are just gunna have to bend over and take one for the team again.
    I apologize for the bad language, but I am sick of seeing the Broadwater cut up like a piece of cake, the iceing is going to go off soon if we dont look after her now.
    Wishey
    Bush N Beach Fishing Magazine
    4BC 1116
    "BERKLEY" Catch More Fish
    Fish Head Fishing Tackle

Wishey....couldnt agree more with what you said.
    The Broadwater has been pooped on more than what I care to remember and the terminal will no doubt cause more grief for the locals that use the seaway.
    I've paddled countless times across there to Sth Straddie so I could have a quiet surf with mates and not get annoyed by idiots on the main surf beaches who dont respect anything, nor anyone.
    How do I get there now? Hmmm.... eventually the n/w side of Wave Break will silt up and reach the mainland.....I could walk.....then its a paddle from Wave Break.....!!! Bloody hell!!
    And if you cant get near the seaway then how do you fish there?
    The seaway has always been a bit ordinary in my view but this really takes the cake. Its so shallow now (I've rolled two yachts coming in after racing) that the amount of sand to take out of the area is almost bamboozles me. What is this going to do to the already fragile area? I shudder to think. Remember what the fishing used to be like at the banks near Paradise Point? Sov Islands wrecked that.
    The govt should spend our dollars on something a little more precious....... and health does come to mind. Or free beer on Friday arvo's.
    As Derryn Hinch would say...."Shame Beattie, Shame".

So how do we stop it?? > > I know that I don't want it there.

It will spoil what we come to enjoy for every one

Appreciate your comments Wishey - nobody is more experienced as an angler in the Broadwater than you.
    And you are right about the anti terrorist regs - I was hunted from the Brissy River again yesterday by a 7ft Neanderthal... with a badge.

Money definitely does talk its way around all obstacles - the surfers, divers, environmentalist and fishos don't want it but a few pollies do.

If you're after more info, check out:
    http://www.gecko.org.au/Save_our_Spit.html
    and
    http://www.saveourspit.com/

Dave ><>

gogecko

Gee you really have to be careful what you say in print dont you? Its so easy to get shot down in flames. One minute I say its not gunna happen, then within a few hours Beattie contradicts me. ooops.

Nevertheless, Im sticking with my prediction. If you have read the article in The Sun, you might agree.

Build it, and they will NOT come.

The skippers are gonna float outside the entrance, and say 'not today'. After a few cancelled dockings, the cruise companies will have no choice but to drop Southport as a destination.

Actually, I thought the idea of an offshore floating terminal had a lot of merit. Is there any reason why this wouldnt work?

Quote Originally Posted by gogecko
    Gee you really have to be careful what you say in print dont you? Its so easy to get shot down in flames. One minute I say its not gunna happen, then within a few hours Beattie contradicts me. ooops.

Nevertheless, Im sticking with my prediction. If you have read the article in The Sun, you might agree.

Build it, and they will NOT come.

The skippers are gonna float outside the entrance, and say 'not today'. After a few cancelled dockings, the cruise companies will have no choice but to drop Southport as a destination.

Actually, I thought the idea of an offshore floating terminal had a lot of merit. Is there any reason why this wouldnt work?
    > Build it and they will definitely COME!

I would say if they build it they would have designed it in such a way that it would be accessable in all but extreme weather. Hate to think of the enviromental damage this could cause!

You would imagine that an offshore facility would not be viable from a financial point of view apart from still having weather concerns.

gogecko

Fair call Hoges. If they design it properly it is possible. The article Im referring to assumes they will keep the Seaway as is. If they triple the width, triple the depth, increase the sand bypass system, then I suppose anythings possible.