Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: hundreds of dead undersize whiting

Re: hundreds of dead undersize whiting

oh and big unit that shovelly u holding in that foto mmmmmmmm arent they a threatened species........ i know the trawl industry stopped harvesting them yrs ago

i didnt know this discussion was already happn,,,, i posted a thread in general chat re the paper report today,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

In my younger years I worked on the prawn boats in the Gulf. I can state from that experience that the bycatch was probably 90-95% and 5-10% prawns.

And after being crushed by the pressure of the catch in the net along with the water pressure crushing them , the use of a hopper systems to return unwanted bycatch to the water alive is pretty much a waste of time (sorry Waldo35).

I have seen different systems to selectively exclude sizes/unwanted species which at best are good publicity exercises.

Cheers
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

thanks for your honesty fish and dive

i only mentioned this to create talk and maybe some answers

that sounds like the best explanation ive heard

cheers ray

Not convinced by the undersize reports, on the telly they looked like Diver Whiting. Unless they now have a size limit that they didn't have before.
    In the past Divers trawled up were sold as by catch but apparently they are no longer allowed to do this.

Back in about 2001 we found tens of thousands of mutton birds floating from Newcastle to Nthn NSW. We reported it but there was never anything on the news about it as they didn't come onto the beaches.
    A lot of strange stuff happens at sea. For the fish kill to come onto the beaches they must have come from close by. Logic tells us trawlers are most likely to blame and if they worked in close the nights before the kill then they are probably to blame.

fish-n-dive is close to the percentages for by-catch, it's incredible what gets washed off the back deck.

yeah mate i saw the media beatup on profishers. where was the evidence mate that this fish came from trawlers. who were these trawler operators that said it was trawl bycatch i didnt see any of them intewrviewed or even quoted by name. fish kill happens naturally during times of heavy rain when the water becomes so silty from run of that the fish cant breathe in the water and they die. i noticed the news claim that this dead fish was noted along a 25 km strip does not this suggest a natural response to the amount of silt/poisons/runoff from developement rather than the bycatch from trawlers. did u notice that they were waiting on toxicology reports from the epa......mmmmmmmmmm gotta keep ur minds open folks .........one day they may turn on ur industry and ull have gotten rid of the only true allies u guys have got.
    we are ,at the heart of the matter,all fishermen/women.

yeah mate i saw the media beatup on profishers. where was the evidence mate that this fish came from trawlers. who were these trawler operators that said it was trawl bycatch i didnt see any of them intewrviewed or even quoted by name. fish kill happens naturally during times of heavy rain when the water becomes so silty from run of that the fish cant breathe in the water and they die. i noticed the news claim that this dead fish was noted along a 25 km strip does not this suggest a natural response to the amount of silt/poisons/runoff from developement rather than the bycatch from trawlers. did u notice that they were waiting on toxicology reports from the epa......mmmmmmmmmm gotta keep ur minds open folks .........one day they may turn on ur industry and ull have gotten rid of the only true allies u guys have got.
    we are ,at the heart of the matter,all fishermen/women.

and fishndive how long ago did u work on trawlers.......pre turtle excluder and by catch reduction device days id bet. this industry has worked very hard over hthe past 10 years with gear technologies,effort reduction net size reduction fleet reductions to adress the issue of by catch. the days that u talk of are long gone , im not saying that there is not still work to be done but fishermen have always worked proactively 2wards ensuring enviromentally sustainable harvest.
    please dont taint an industry with ur personal experience that is no longer a valid representation of wot happens 2day.

Quote Originally Posted by waldo35
    oh and big unit that shovelly u holding in that foto mmmmmmmm arent they a threatened species........ i know the trawl industry stopped harvesting them yrs ago
    They are prolific in the Great Sandy Straits, perhaps you have just proven that if Trawlers stop harvesting particular species then that species has a chance at revival & survival. Its great that you have admitted that Trawlers do cause serious population decline in targeted fish species.

Fact is Trawlers are the rapists of the sea, they cause a massive amount of habitat destruction as well as endangering targeted & non targeted species.

Most primary producers today have strategic programs in place to minimise and correct enviromental damage. Does the Trawler industry have such programs in place ? If so then go ahead and tell us what they are.

James

I blame aliens!

On the local news tonight 5 trawlers spotted cleaning nets off the beach and the fish started washing up an hour later.

There were no other fish kills reported on any other beaches in-spite of heavy rain from Bundaberg to Coffs Harbour.

It would seem extremely strong circumstantial evidence against commercial trawlers. >

There must be a way to minimize the slaughter of juvenile fish, denying there is a problem is not an effective option.

My last holidays over the new year saw me fishing at Nth straddie with a gutter full of dead juvenile whiting laying at my feet. They looked healthy & had no apparent marks. Very distressing but other species like bream & dart still prevalent. Couldn't figur it out as no storms or weed around.

Gorilla_in_Manila

Don't know if there is any difference in the regulations for keeping bycatch in NSW, but I was back home at the end of last year and had a trip down to Iluka and was surprised to see "Local Trawl Whiting" fillets for sale in most shops. Fillets were only about 10-15cm long, so seemed to be much smaller fish than the 27cm minimum for rec fisho sand whiting.
    If there is a difference between the regulations between QLD and NSW and the NSW trawlers are allowed to sell them as bycatch, that might explain why there weren't any washed up in northern NSW.
    Maybe they will wash up in fish shop freezers covered in bread crumbs.

On the other hand, there has been plenty of info about fish killed in the Richmond river lately due to the heavy rains.

Whatever the cause, it is always sad to see fish just washed up dead, benifiting no one except the ghost crabs (and the anti fishing groups).

Cheers
    Jeff

James,

I thought that was a blowup shovelly u had in a headlock...

Cheers,

Tony

timbacutta

Trawlers were banned or limited in keeping of by-catch due to targeting. Ie: winter whiting schools in Hervey Bay.

Jeff.

P.S. Same story of by-catch washing up on beach at bundy when trawlers working in close chasing prawns. Usually after heavy rain has washed them out of creek mouths.