Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New Beast Arises

Derek_Bullock

The New Beast Arises

This sounds to good to be true. #Anyone got any further details. #What is TFPQ role in this if at all. #See the highlighted section in red below.

Derek

[hr]

Katter tells of 'new beast' in Parliament

By Maria Hawthorne

September 11, 2006

BOB Katter announced the birth of a new political movement today - or did he?

In typically eccentric style, the independent member for the far north Queensland federal seat of Kennedy summoned journalists to his office to talk up a new "beast" emerging in the wake of last weekend's Queensland election.

The beast would ride the same “horse of discontent” that One Nation harnessed eight years ago, he said, except that the new movement's members knew where they stood on issues like competition policy.

Mr Katter, a former National, said he had been inundated by hundreds of calls over the past four months complaining about the vacuum in politics left by Labor and the Nationals abandoning their traditional policies.

Meetings will be held in New South Wales and Queensland over the next two months to iron out the future of the new movement.

But further details are sketchy.

Asked if the movement was going to be a new party, or a new network of independents, or who was involved, or how many members it might have, Mr Katter could not say.

“All I am saying is that groups are coming together and I'm not at liberty to go any further than that,” he said.

“It would be very foolish for me to go any further, secondly, and thirdly, there has been no final determination of the nature of the beast that will come forward.

“It will most certainly be there in the federal election.”

He said there was no coordination at the present moment “but for the next two months there will be”.

“It's a fair comment – is there anything happening out there if there's no-one in charge directing traffic? Yes, if you've got a mass movement taking place, that is the very nature of a mass movement,” he said.

“But it metastases very, very quickly into leadership, as we saw with One Nation.”

People who wanted to get aboard should contact his office, he said, but it would be inflating his involvement to say he was organising it.

Some current state Nationals members would be involved, as would groups like the Fishing Party and the Shooters Party, he said.

He blasted the Nationals for abandoning their original platform of building major infrastructure like roads and dams, and backing collective marketing for rural commodities – with AWB the sole remnant of single desk selling.

Nationals leader Lawrence Springborg was a very nice person, he said, but had gone straight into parliament from school – “and I think that he proves the failure of career politicians in Australia”.

The Beattie government had failed on electricity, health and water and yet had been returned in a landslide, Mr Katter said.

“Here's a Government failing on the three key areas of government and yet they have pulled off a fourth massive victory,” he said.

“And it is a complete failure of the Opposition to perform in Queensland.”

BAIT_MAN

Re: The New Beast Arises

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bullock
    This sounds to good to be true. #Anyone got any further details. #What is TFPQ role in this if at all. #See the highlighted section in red below.

Derek

Some current state Nationals members would be involved, as would groups like the Fishing Party and the Shooters Party, he said.
    I dont think so. No one has talked to us on this matter.

Regards Shane

Derek_Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Boese
    [quote author=Derek Bullock link=1158031297/0#0 date=1158031296]This sounds to good to be true. Anyone got any further details. What is TFPQ role in this if at all. See the highlighted section in red below.

Derek

I dont think so. No one has talked to us on this matter.

Regards Shane[/quote]

Thanks Shane.

Is Bob Smith able to comment on a National Level for the Fishing Party

Thanks.

Derek

TFPQ met with Mr Katter some months ago and was invited to join a collective of parties and independants.

It politely but firmly refused.

The broad brush nature of Mt Katters organisation was/is at odds with the mission statement and aims of the party.

Bob is a very popular politician in NQ but our constituency is, and needs to be, across all areas of the state.
    To some degree it is nice to be "asked" and this is clear recognition of our growing importance in the "political mix" but TFPQ stands alone and is likely to continue that way.

This has been made clear to the Australian today after this story was published and we would expect some rebutal of Mr Katters remarks. It was both unethical and without any basis in fact for Mr Katter to name TFPQ as one of his "collective", we are NOT.

Our only involvement with his group, and any other political organisation, will be preference discussions based on best outcomes for fishing during the next election lead-up.

KC

Derek

The Fishing Party is an INDEPENDENT Party who has discussions with other parties in the best interest of fishing outcomes. Bob Katter has not talked or met with me but meeting invitations are expected from a bevy of others.

What does interest me is how all of a sudden the fishing vote is important to all and sundry because rumors abound of OTHER party's having fishing meetings!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Smith

Bob,
    Given in the past twenty four hours I have been informed of new and increased zoning changes from Cairns and the Rocky/Yepoon areas (and guess what 31August appears to be the date for all), if reports of one batch of 40,000 protest signatures during the Brissie Protest Rally and others delivered prior giving a total of approx 100,000 persons in the S-E Qld area conveying their disgust to the zonings and changes without meaningful local consultation n scientific fact.
    This number would basically represent significant % of the voting Public. Enough, certainly, to make any Political Party take notice.

The Libs own Analyist George Brandus on Saturday night summed it perfectly when he said words to the effect that " the public made a choice of a government they held in contempt over an opposition that they, the public had no confidence in. "
    Bring on "The Fishing Party Queensland " the voice of folk across the state who also like to fish . They have my vote!

luress

Wouldnt trust Katter as far as I could throw him,seen him stand up at a green zone meeting shoot his mouth of how bad they will be and then wasnt even in canberra when the vote was put up. BOB YOUR NOSE IS GROWING
    regards lures >

There is an article about this BEAST in Wednesdays AUSTRALIAN under STREWTH if anybody has it and can post it. Stars are Katter and KC

Bob Smith

Derek_Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by RASA
    There is an article about this BEAST in Wednesdays AUSTRALIAN under STREWTH if anybody has it and can post it. Stars are Katter and KC

Bob Smith
    Here it is

Fishing for support

WACKY Queensland independent Bob Katter's threats of establishing a new political "beast" have led to speculation among Canberra pundits on what sort of animal he has in mind. Although the composition of the beast may remain a secret for a while, it is clear that it is more likely to be fowl than fish. Katter nominated Queensland fishing lobbies as potential supporters. However, Kevin Collins, the chairman of the Fishing Party Queensland, made it clear to Strewth yesterday that a conversation with Katter didn't a political movement make. "Our preferences elected Barnaby Joyce at the last election," Collins said. "Based on our performance at the Queensland state election, we could get 200,000 fishing votes of our own at the next federal election on the eastern seaboard," Collins said from his seafood restaurant. Raw prawns need not apply.
    By the way, how many actual votes did the Independents endorsed by TFPQ actually get and what percentage is that of the Queensland vote.

Derek

Derek_Bullock

I have checked with the Electoral Commission Queensland website. http://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/elections/...s/summary.html

My calculations from there show a total of 6710 votes in Barron River (2294), Cairns (1593), Cleveland (1724) and Townsville (1099) out of a possible 2,067,235 votes.

That equates to .33% of the total vote.

Is that correct ? ? ? ?

Derek

derek,,, without taking the wind from your sail........

i ask the same question,,,,,

choppa,,

i sit back a lot now and read these reports,,,,,without throwing in a comment,,,,beats cryptic answers anyday,,,,,,,,,,,,,

can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Derek_Bullock

Choppa

I am interested in the statistics of it all.

Derek

Derek_Bullock

However they did average just over 8% in those seats. If TFPQ was in full force and took 8% of the total vote that would have been just over 165,000 votes across the State.

Whereas the Greens got a confirmed 155,804 votes

Interesting ...................

Derek

Glind

I think the figure was 8.8% in the seats they stood. Enough to give the big boys a fright.
    Tim