Best Trckle Charge Solar panel For batteries
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Best Trckle Charge Solar panel For batteries

  1. #1
    Ausfish Addict Volvo's Avatar


    My Classifieds Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)

    Best Trckle Charge Solar panel For batteries

    Yeah know it may sound a silly question and wander if worthy of asking as Solar panels are Solar panels.
    Not so much the Solar panel in question but Combo with regulator save overcharging.
    Just have had Fleabay Solar panels to date which have done the job but Regulators have been pieces of shyte!!.
    Been looking about for a good combo unit without the one arm n one leg to purchase .
    Anyhows your thoughts if worthy of reply..

  2. #2
    Ausfish Platinum Member


    My Classifieds Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)

    Re: Best Trckle Charge Solar panel For batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Yeah know it may sound a silly question and wander if worthy of asking as Solar panels are Solar panels.
    Not so much the Solar panel in question but Combo with regulator save overcharging.
    Just have had Fleabay Solar panels to date which have done the job but Regulators have been pieces of shyte!!.
    Been looking about for a good combo unit without the one arm n one leg to purchase .
    Anyhows your thoughts if worthy of reply..
    just dont buy a Kings one ive got a kickass as they do lithium aswell it seems to be ok, but it depends on the money you want to spend or not spend.

  3. #3
    Ausfish Addict Lovey80's Avatar


    My Classifieds Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)

    Re: Best Trckle Charge Solar panel For batteries

    I think the only way to go is to get a decent MPPT charge controller. The decent ones arenít that cheap but huge piece of mind. Are you using it just for the lead acid batteries?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  4. #4
    Ausfish Addict Volvo's Avatar


    My Classifieds Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Thread Starter

    Re: Best Trckle Charge Solar panel For batteries

    That n AGM

  5. #5
    Ausfish Addict Lovey80's Avatar


    My Classifieds Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)

    Re: Best Trckle Charge Solar panel For batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    That n AGM
    I would go this way. You can change the charge profile if you change to lithium later. Or if it's for a start battery and you have a DCDC between start and lithium, you can hook it up to your start and both batteries get looked after without further maintenance. They are IP43 so I would mount it into a space that won't get salt spray and have an Anderson plug that you can plug the solar panel into.

    edit: Forgot to post the link.

    https://www.outbackmarine.com.au/vic...t-75-15-retail
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  6. #6
    Ausfish Addict NAGG's Avatar


    My Classifieds Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)

    Re: Best Trckle Charge Solar panel For batteries

    I think you will need to forego an arm & or leg

    MPPTs are often spoken about - failing & the general consensus is that you really need to spend the money . That goes for any charger .

    Cooking a battery (overcharging) is easily done ( been there - done that)

    I've been using a inline ROMAN Solar charge controller for my freestanding solar panel for years & it's been really good IMG_6426.jpg

    I like that it is a separate unit & connects via andersson plugs - It's a little bigger & certainly robust & pretty well charges all battery types.

    Unfortunately - I dont think they are available anymore

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  7. #7
    Ausfish Addict Dignity's Avatar


    My Classifieds Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)

    Re: Best Trckle Charge Solar panel For batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I think you will need to forego an arm & or leg

    MPPTs are often spoken about - failing & the general consensus is that you really need to spend the money . That goes for any charger .

    Cooking a battery (overcharging) is easily done ( been there - done that)

    I've been using a inline ROMAN Solar charge controller for my freestanding solar panel for years & it's been really good IMG_6426.jpg

    I like that it is a separate unit & connects via andersson plugs - It's a little bigger & certainly robust & pretty well charges all battery types.

    Unfortunately - I dont think they are available anymore

    Chris
    Unfortunately an IP43 will fail on a boat regardless of where you mount it. He'll, I live 200 m from the water and anything inside or outside the house or shed rusts/corrodes unless treated after each use.

    Edit: I just realised I attached this to Chris post and not Lovely's
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

  8. #8
    Ausfish Platinum Member


    Location
    Kalbarri, WA
    My Classifieds Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)

    Re: Best Trckle Charge Solar panel For batteries

    I'll second the Victron, particularly the Smart versions with the bluetooth control. I own a number of them. But I've had good results with cheap ones, just make sure it has an LCD control display. These typically have the ability to set your charge and float levels, so no risk of overcharging, and, if you shift to lithium, as I did, just adjust accordingly. The thing cost me $29 on ebay six years ago, and has, frankly, been perfect. it's mounted inside the forward cabin, well away from any weather exposure. Anything that has just indicator lights is usually pre-set---apart from the ones with bluetooth control via an app, naturally.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •