Best sounder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best sounder

Blog Entries
    My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Best sounder

Ok so my boat came with two HDS gen 3 units a 9 inch and a 7 inch not hooked up together, I have been running the 7 as a gps and the nine as a sounder . Now the 2D works fine but I can’t get the 9 inch or 7 for that matter to do the down and side imaging thing that I see on you tube , my down and side imaging seems weak and not detailed for some reason it all seems to hard and too many adjustments. Can someone help or should I sell both and buy something more modern like the Garmin or hummingbird, I never had too touch my old Furuno ever except to zoom in , in 14 years it never caused me an issue . Is there any that have side and down scan that are fit and turn on and it works or am I kidding myself, I fish creeks and rivers and very occasionally offshore to 50 mt so what would you recommend in the new range of sounders and gps . I want 10 or 9 inch max and only one unit thanks . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Best sounder

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Ok so my boat came with two HDS gen 3 units a 9 inch and a 7 inch not hooked up together, I have been running the 7 as a gps and the nine as a sounder . Now the 2D works fine but I can’t get the 9 inch or 7 for that matter to do the down and side imaging thing that I see on you tube , my down and side imaging seems weak and not detailed for some reason it all seems to hard and too many adjustments. Can someone help or should I sell both and buy something more modern like the Garmin or hummingbird, I never had too touch my old Furuno ever except to zoom in , in 14 years it never caused me an issue . Is there any that have side and down scan that are fit and turn on and it works or am I kidding myself, I fish creeks and rivers and very occasionally offshore to 50 mt so what would you recommend in the new range of sounders and gps . I want 10 or 9 inch max and only one unit thanks . Matt
    I did have a 7" but it did come with the side and down imaging transducer,I guess you should check the tranny and see what model it is, it should be on a tag on the lead then look it up to make sure thats what you have. I didn't use mine as such only as a gps snd mostly as a connection to my Motorguide.

Blog Entries
    My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Best sounder

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I did have a 7" but it did come with the side and down imaging transducer,I guess you should check the tranny and see what model it is, it should be on a tag on the lead then look it up to make sure thats what you have. I didn't use mine as such only as a gps snd mostly as a connection to my Motorguide.
    It’s got the total scan transducer and picks it up itself apparently and the 2D of all good but the down and side scan are useless and show next to nothing that I can see , I might reset it once I get my boat and trailer back from service . Thanks Matt

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Mate i bought a 9 inch Garmin Ultra UHD2 for around $1700 and havent looked back.
    Mindyou ive always been happy with Garmins.

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I have a Solix 12 G2 here....imaging is good it has other issues though and $1700 to repair....it lost touchscreen.
    Will be going Garmin next time for the win.
    Jack.

Blog Entries
    My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Mate i bought a 9 inch Garmin Ultra UHD2 for around $1700 and havent looked back.
    Mindyou ive always been happy with Garmins.
    Yeah looks like I will head that way after tax time

Ausfish Platinum Member

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Yeah looks like I will head that way after tax time
    Have you updated the software Matt on the gen 3!!! theres a heap of youtube on the gen 3 setting and if you have the money and upgrade go a12inch screen the 9inch are just too small when running a few screens like side and down vision ive got the raymarine element 9inch and last time out i realized that its ok up a small creek but when your out wider in the bay i would like to have a 12inch.

Blog Entries
    My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Have you updated the software Matt on the gen 3!!! theres a heap of youtube on the gen 3 setting and if you have the money and upgrade go a12inch screen the 9inch are just too small when running a few screens like side and down vision ive got the raymarine element 9inch and last time out i realized that its ok up a small creek but when your out wider in the bay i would like to have a 12inch.
    Software is upto date on both and no chance of a 12 inch ,too big for my boat the 9 inches is enough for me and 12 inch is way expensive for a bloody sounder , when I get the boat back this week I might reset the 9 and start again there’s just too much adjustment.

Ausfish Platinum Member Alchemy's Avatar

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Here are some pics from my Garmin 8412, running in auto mode, while cruising down the bay a couple of weeks ago. I do have a thru hull transducer on a fairing block, which means my pics are always clear but I was impressed with these shows, given I was in auto and not looking as such.
    Attached Images

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Matt I found it really difficult to learn how to use my new garmin units particularly with side scan..

Ended up doing those Ryan Moody Sounder skill courses and it started to make more sense..the basic sounder skills 1 is only $20 and will leave you wanting to do the more comprehensive 2nd one..it was $229 when I did it and now its $600 but was just on sale in may for $340...

He really breaks it down in understandable modules and you just log back in anytime if you want to go over it again and again...I rarely use the side scan anyway, bit of a wank like Livescope I reckon, i personally prefer to just find the structure with bait and fish and drop a line over and see whats down there.
    The course was well worth it for a dummy like me with a slow learning old brain and it helps Ryan pay all the speeding tickets in his Porsche...

Blog Entries
    My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Matt I found it really difficult to learn how to use my new garmin units particularly with side scan..

Ended up doing those Ryan Moody Sounder skill courses and it started to make more sense..the basic sounder skills 1 is only $20 and will leave you wanting to do the more comprehensive 2nd one..it was $229 when I did it and now its $600 but was just on sale in may for $340...

He really breaks it down in understandable modules and you just log back in anytime if you want to go over it again and again...I rarely use the side scan anyway, bit of a wank like Livescope I reckon, i personally prefer to just find the structure with bait and fish and drop a line over and see whats down there.
    The course was well worth it for a dummy like me with a slow learning old brain and it helps Ryan pay all the speeding tickets in his Porsche...
    Yeah I did the basic one but still can’t get my head around it for some reason so didn’t do another course yet , I’m usually pretty good with computer stuff but this sounder does my head in . I probably need hands on help , from someone who’s got one . I watched a bunch of US videos on YouTube and that but gee it’s confusing after having the old 620 Furuno .

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Plenty of Garmin Vids on Yayatube with god enough info if one watches and listens carefully ey.
    No brain twisters there in my opinion.

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Matt, maybe post on some of the local fishing pages for someone that also runs the same sounder to either jump on board your boat or theirs for a trip...might be worth throwing a carton of beer to someone that can actually show you in a real world setting.....

I also struggle to learn well from online courses and do much better when someone is actually demonstrating right in front of me so I can also ask questions and play around..

Blog Entries
    My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Matt, maybe post on some of the local fishing pages for someone that also runs the same sounder to either jump on board your boat or theirs for a trip...might be worth throwing a carton of beer to someone that can actually show you in a real world setting.....

I also struggle to learn well from online courses and do much better when someone is actually demonstrating right in front of me so I can also ask questions and play around..
    Yeah when I get the boat make from engine service and trailer adjustments I will reset the sounder and try again then might go down that path of getting someone who knows and understands these units . It’s quit frustrating to be honest

Ausfish Platinum Member

My Classifieds Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Something that I found on another forum, there's a bloke, not sure where he's located, I think it's SEQ, but he does sounder training on your boat.
    All the details I have is:
    Nick Whyte, Tech Fishing. Apparently has a FB Page.

Maybe that's worth looking up. I didn't follow it up as apparently he doesn't venture up Cairns way, but I reckon it's something I'd do if it was an option. Don't know $$ or anything.
    Cheers
    Corry